1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Epipen Prices Over 400% Higher Since 2008

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Aug 25, 2016.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I feel like we've discussed this before. You want to pretend that the history of dangerous, misrepresented, and fake drugs, tonics, and elixirs never existed, that the FDA is an arbitrary body, and that regular people on their own can make better educated decisions on the drugs brought to market. Why do you believe what you're proposing worked so well before the FDA?

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My strictly amateur guess is that the company thought that with all the people getting insured, they could raise the prices and just gouge the insurance companies.

It makes sense since they've agreed to special prices for people without insurance.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just so I am understanding this.
    1. The issue is the delivery system not the medicine.
    2. They have a monopoly on the delivery but not the medicine

Is that what I am understanding to be the situation .
    That basically the FDA made this patented delivery system, basically, the standard. No one can reach that standard without violating the patent.

Is that the basics of this whole thing?

Rocket River

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Pharma lobby versus the Insurance Lobby?

Rocket River

6. CometsWin

I don't think the FDA patents anything. They just determine whether its safe or not.

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Besides the issue of the delivery system (patent), monopoly, all of regulatory agencies involved, and possible familial corruption ties,

one of the main reasons they raised the price is that there will be a competing generic just around the corner. Mylan decided to make bank before it happened.

At times, I'm unsure just blaming regulation is possible. There is an accelerating amount of things in the world for these bodies to track, not just FDA related but tech and consumer products as a whole.

Somehow these regulating bodies have to match all the products available in both scale and response time, with expert informed decisions. Is that possible? Humans have no limits in their ways to engineer greed and power.

Can a body who left that first responsibility to a corporation play defense in time to ensure no one is affected? The answer is no and this time the headline is epipens. Of all the comments in this thread, it is case in point that almost no one pointed at Mylan and said they are ethically bereft, as if corporations get some pass to take any advantages in the system they can for the pursuit of profit.

For those reasons, I'm in the belief that some things just shouldn't be privatized and basic healthcare needs that can save human lives is one of them.

8. CometsWin

I agree with you. Health care should not be a for profit industry.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They don't
    but they can take a patented device
    and make it the standard

Rocket River

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No standard of care should ever be allowed to be a monopoly or priced so ridiculously high