1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Entering 2023... the Rockets are again the worst team in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Dec 30, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also there is literally no relevance between year one of Harden trade and this season. The rebuild started the season after. The only relevant player from 3 seasons ago was KPJ. That's literally it. Last season we added Green and Sengun, who are 20 currently. This season we added Tari and Bari who are 19 and 21.

The only point of 2020 was to be bad to get the pick that got us Green. That's it. No on on that roster we cared about development wise besides KPJ and he came in the second half of the season anyways.

gfab-babyboi and topfive like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This was the goal. Stone and Co said so

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

But there is relevance between the CP3 OKC year and their rebuild? They don't even have the same coach from that time period. We still do.

Incorrect.

The Rockets had KMJ and Jasean Tate on that team also.

Also Incorrect. The Rockets started out trying to win that year. Harden wasn't interested in winning here anymore so it fell apart, but even after the Harden trade the Rockets had a chance to tear the roster down and go young, but they even admitted that they liked Oladipo and thought he could still have some star ability left in the tank.

That team tried to win games, but they couldn't because Silas is just an ass coach. Even when Harden was here that year and put up good numbers this team was still ass.

But even after Harden left and they still had those other vets still here there was no reason to be THE WORST TEAM IN BASKETBALL. I don't know if you all aren't grasping that reality or just overlooking it. Sure this team was going to be bad. Terrible. But they've been the absolute WORST going on three years running. They've been the WORST with VETS and they've been the WORST with a mix and they've been the WORST with mostly young guys.

You can be bad, but you don't have to be THE WORST.

And then the cold part is that we've yet to end up with the top pick even after being THE WORST team.

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yes they should, who exactly on the team do you think is good enough to elevate a bunch of kids into a better team? And you call me dense? Also, if you wanna be a rude little prick for no reason don't even bother responding, I've had enough of that bullshit from the SOF's to last a lifetime, ok?

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd rather the guy buy a 65 win team, and then do what he can to keep them competitive.

Not nosedive them to the laughing stock of the league in record time.

clutchdabear and YOLO like this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

What bunch of kids? That was a team full of vets that ended up being the worst team in the league.

But no worries, I see you like to throw stones then cry hurt...I'll help you out.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

What stones? I'm talking about right now, the kids in our team. Or are you trying to claim that all the players who don't play for us anymore have any bearing on the team as it stands now? All I'm asking is for mature conversation, I haven't thrown a single insult at you, that's your MO, not mine. But cool, on the ignore list you go.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

We are exactly where we need to be right now. Some of you need to get better at absorbing the pain of a total tank job. If your team gets cold feet and pulls out of the tank too early, you're looking at years of mediocrity without much chance of truly contending.

Take a deep breath. Absorb the losses and enjoy the occasional flashes from the youngsters. But don't wimp out after we've come this far.

DaDakota, Dobbizzle, jim1961 and 2 others like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Don't come at me with vague insults like "reading comprehension helps." You said there's no point for the Rockets to look as bad as they've looked, when our neighbors in OKC didn't look as bad, despite being in a rebuilding process, as well.

The problem with your line of thinking, which I pointed out, was that: 1) we have no CP3 / positive veteran leadership on this team, 2) our projected young superstar (in his 2nd season) is doing slightly worse than OKC's projected young superstar when he was in his 2nd season and 3) we don't have a Schroeder or Gallinari-like presence on this team.

tl;dr - we're not the 2020 OKC Thunder.

You're making it out to be an argument of "we're basically them, and they weren't bad...so why do we look so bad?" I think you need to consider the possibility that the Rockets are just that bad, plain and simple.

Dobbizzle, gfab-babyboi and joshuaao like this.
  10. juanm34

juanm34 Member

And again we have the worst coach in the league as well……

DaDakota and clos4life like this.
  11. a time to chill

Yep, Stone said that he's not measuring success by wins and losses this year. This year, they just want to be a team that's tough to beat.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Rockets are going to have another high pick again by design. But I don't think they want to be THIS bad.

I really hope the Rockets get a top draft pick because a team this bad isn't just going to flip the switch and turn into a playoff contender. All those bad habits aren't suddenly going to disappear. The coach isn't going to suddenly be sharp as a tack. The defense isn't going to suddenly be fixed.

We'll see how many people think we are right on track while we are losing games and our pick is owed to OKC.

snowconeman22, J.R. and clos4life like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah we sure weren't the laughing stock of town with Goran Dragic and Courtney Lee a our franchise players. But hey they were 2 games over .500, and left in the off season.

If we weren't gifted Harden, we would have trotted out a total non laughing stock team led by Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik

Dobbizzle and gfab-babyboi like this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

We haven't taken the season seriously yet. Orlando, Detroit, and San Antonio are serious contenders.

15. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So many of these idiot posters, don’t watch post game interviews … don’t read interviews … but most importantly, they refuse to comprehend why we going for top 1-5 pick vs being stuck picking middle of the pack for next 12-15 years hoping a star free agent picks us

Dobbizzle and harold bingo like this.
  16. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because the Rockets don’t play well vs top teams and then suck vs lower tier teams …

They work on a few things and look bad, then it clicks and they look good for a few games… then they start working on something else and look bad for a few games … rinse and repeat …

That’s Development!

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. anchel

anchel Member

How many precedents there exist of a team having the worst record in the NBA for 3 years in a row?

Can't see the growth. The team is just so bad at both ends.

I don't know how you manner to convert this team into a winning team in just one offseason... It seems too big of a leap to me, utopian.

I think some people are confusing being optimistic about the future of certain of our young players, with making an optimistic assessment of the current season and the actual job of our coaching staff & management. (The thread is a criticism of the latter).

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Honestly better than finishing 9th.

gfab-babyboi likes this.