1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ensberg done with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketManJosh, Jul 29, 2007.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5009337.html

Astros designate Ensberg for assignment
    Club has 10 days to trade third baseman before release

By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Morgan Ensberg’s rollercoaster six-year career with the Astros ended this morning when he was designated for assignment. The Astros have 10 days to trade him. Given his low trade value, he’s likely to be released and paid the remainder of his $4.25-million salary at that time.

Ensberg became expendable when Ty Wigginton was acquired from the Devil Rays for Dan Wheeler. Wigginton now becomes the club’s everyday third baseman. It’s unclear what Mike Lamb’s future with the Astros is since he’ll be a free agent after the season.

Reliever Mark McLemore was recalled from Round Rock to take Wheeler’s place in the bullpen.

Ensberg, 31, had an interesting ride. There were times when he seemed on his way to becoming one of the National League’s best third basemen. At other times, he wasn’t productive enough to deserve a spot on the roster.

His best year was 2005 when he was a key component on the team that won the National League pennant. He was a member of the National League All-Star team and finished with 36 home runs and 101 RBIs that year.

His production dropped dramatically last season when he played with an injured right shoulder. The Astros believed he would bounce back this season if his shoulder was sound.

He didn’t. He was hitting .232 at the time he was removed from the roster.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Bye Bye Morgan Ensberg

link

dfa'd

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

not hard to see coming, but I thought they'd wait out the season to part ways

4. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Just saw this..it really was a roller coaster ride with Morgan. At one time he seemed like he could be our 3rd baseman for a while. I don't know what's up with these USC guys and them not living up to potential with the Astros (Ensberg and Lane)

5. MaxwellsTemper

I was expecting it, but I wasn't expecting him to get DFA'd. His trade value must have been 0.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

how did he fall so far, so quickly?

7. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not happy with this at all. He's batting over .300 in July..he's always had great potential..he's our best defensive third baseman. :mad:

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

he's had a good month too. .300+
    thought they could at least get a low level prospect from the angels or giants for him.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I guess he was the expendable one with the Wigginton trade. Kind of suprising, but not really. I'm glad, in a way, that they finally cut the cord. Now, let's do the same with Lane.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It's pretty good that on a "down year" in 06, he had an OBP of .396 and 23 homeruns.

He had his chance i guess.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

12. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

can somebody explain this move to me? i'm certainly not an ensberg fan or anything, but why and why now??

he has been swinging a hot bat this month, for starters, but what's the point in cutting him before the end of the season? you're paying him anyway. and to bring up mclemore??

now we can only trade one of loretta and lamb, or else we're left with only 1 3b on roster.

13. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

This is a ridiculous move. What do the Astros gain by doing this? Also, how is Lane still around? Morgan is roughly 10 X the player that Jason is, but Lane continues to get chances.

14. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

yeah, and you're forgetting the other glaring loser in this organization who is the worst player in the league and has never been at risk AT ALL of even losing playing time the past 5 years...brad ****ing ausmus. it's mindblowing. mclane needs to sell the team.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This sounds like they're not planning to move both Lamb and Loretta. I still wanted them both gone and resigned in the offseason. I'm not sure I understand this move either.

16. Poloshirtbandit

Wow, people are hard to please. One day I'm reading "OMG WHY IS ENSBERG STILL ON THIS TEAM?!?" Now I see people wondering why they released him :confused: Which one is it?

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

eh if they are going to pay him then why not just keep him for rest of season... shoulda released orlando palmeiro. dude bats once every 2 weeks.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

he shouldve kept using thos steroids

19. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

bit surprising. i really don't see the point of releasing ensberg with 60 games to go or so.

where is fatty p going with this?

20. Vballcoach

Vballcoach Member

There's more than one way to get rid of a guy. You can always trade a guy instead of just dumping him.