1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough with the pessimism, we WILL make the playoffs!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, Jul 31, 2009.

?

PLAYOFFS!?

1. Folks, this is real.

73.6%
  2. No way!

26.4%
  1. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Those teams are the same because they don't have good people in the front office. We have Morey. You don't have to get a franchise player the first time you go to the lottery either. It's called building through the draft. A top 5 pick will help too. There are Westbrooks, Aldridges in drafts also.

#41 rocketsregle, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think morey anticipates those things too. i'm sure morey knows we have ZERO chance of gettin a top 5 pick. like i said, even if mcgrady doesn't play, at worst, we'll be 8-10 games below .500 and that's not that bad of a record to warrant a top 5-7 pick. we'll be on the border of the playoffs and the 12/13th pick at worst. so why not just make the damn playoffs and hope for teh best? other stars might see how these group of role players play without tmac/yao and hey, i wanna join in

3. rocketsregle

I know what should happen is likely not going to because Les is at the helm. I was just letting out steam right now. I know it'll be another year like the other 13. Slow progress if at all.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...I think your analysis is lacking a good dose of reality like some have mentioned(for instance, chances are Utah isn't as injury plagued this year). I think it's too optimistic to say we are a playoff team because of our "transition game" combined with our defense when I can only remember a handful of transition buckets all last year. Yes, Yao is gone, but the impact in how much more uptempo we will be doesn't make up for the defensive loss of losing Yao....plus, this is an unproven team in terms of transition. What if we get out and run and our team turnovers go through the roof? And let's not even talk about Anderson as a decoy when the guy hasn't set foot on an NBA court yet.

Also, let's not compare how well we did against LA with Yao and Tracy out. Basketball is a game of matchups and we happened to have a favorable matchup at the PG spot which helped offset some of our other deficiencies in that series. Besides, it's not like any of those Yao/Tmac-less games where close - each had 20+ point leads at some point. I think it's VERY shaky to try and project a season based on 4 games against one team in the playoffs(in a series we won). By your own logic, we are a better team without Yao because we were 1-2 against LA with him and 2-2 without him - certainly you can see how ridiculous that line of logic can be.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with expecting this team NOT to make the playoffs this year - especially given the circumstances that it might make us a better team in the long run. I think it's fair to say this is a team that will overachieve again and be better than expected, but better than expected puts us in the 30 win category. The non-homer world of NBA analysts don't expect the Rockets to even crack 30.

If there is anything good about the original post it's that some charity will benefit from your optimism.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Edited for wrong pronoun.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

exactly. your scenario is not going to work until we let yao go.

7. rocketsregle

That's not why it doesn't work. KG went to the lottery with Minnesotta ... so a player earning a large sum of the payroll is not a hinderance to start the process. Minnesotta had a bad front office so they didn't do much with the lottery ... they had Brandon Roy. For our part, it doesn't work because there has to be a willingness to rebuild, get younger ... be bad to be good later.

It also doesn't help that the deals offered for McGrady just haven't been very good. Later this season if McGrady gets back to "elite status" then Morey may choose to take a proposition that takes the team into another direction. Later down the line when Yao is expiring Morey will have the same possibilities if he wants to take it there too.

Like I said, I was just blowing off steam ... I got impatient. I trust in Morey.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

<BR>
    One HUGE factor that everyone on this board seems to be overlooking:

Rick Adelman teams almost never miss the playoffs.

Let me repeat that for the hard of head:

Rick Adelman teams almost never miss the playoffs.

Only TWO of the 18 teams he's coached in the NBA have missed the playoffs. That's roughly 11%. In other words, he's taken almost 90% of his teams to the playoffs, including a few that were much worse than this year's Rockets (even without T-Mac and/or Yao).

All of you who are hoping for a lottery pick next year so we can win the ping-pong ball drawing and get a shot at the next Kwame Brown are going to be sorely disappointed.
    <BR><BR>

#48 topfive, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  9. rocketsregle

Great point.

10. redao

redao Member

yeah, it is risky. Rick took that team to 22 win streak and passed 2nd round.

Adelman needs a long vacation.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Play hard, play scrappy, make the playoffs.

Keep Yao and Tracy on a trajectory of recovery targeting late-season or playoffs.

If Yao and/or Tracy are contributing by end of season, no team will want a piece of the Rockets in the playoffs.

8th seed to the title.

BELIEVE

12. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Morey has already indicated that he wants the team to run more with Yao gone for good. You will definitely see more running after we force a turnover or get a long rebound or blocked shot.

I did not imply at all that we're better without Yao. What my logic should have told you is we're still pretty good even when Yao doesn't play. Why does it seem like when someone points out our success without Yao, the extremists suggest they're implying we're better without him? Yao just isn't that valuable to where we can't win 40-50 games without him, and the past history supports my claim. He's an all-star player, but absolutely isn't the only hope for us making a playoff appearance, and this year will demonstrate just that.

This year will truly show what a great job Morey has done in restructuring the roster to be a competitive team even without two all-stars and $40 million of salary.

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

^ This.

Adelman's offense will find us ways to put points on the board even without the reputed elite scorers. This and quick/forceful transition offense will contribute to our total ppg much more heavily than previous years

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I like Adelman as a coach, but he did have 36 and 30 win seasons back to back with Golden State, which had similar if not better talent than the Rockets minus Yao and Tmac. Coaches can only do so much..

95-96 Warriors Roster:

Latrell Sprewell 18.9 ppg 4.9 reb
    Joe Smith 15.3 ppg 8.8 reb
    Tim Hardaway 14.1 ppg 6.9 ast
    Chris Mullin 13.3 ppg 3.5 ast
    B.J. Armstrong 12.3 ppg 4.9 ast
    Rony Seikaly 12.1 ppg 7.8 reb
    Kevin Willis 11.3 ppg 7.7 reb
    Chris Gatling 9.1 ppg 5.2 reb
    Bimbo Coles 7.9 ppg 4.3 ast
    Jerome Kersey 6.7 ppg 4.8 reb
    Donyell Marshall 5.5 ppg 3.4 reb
    Jon Barry 3.8 ppg 1.3 ast
    Andrew DeClercq 2.7 ppg 1.8 reb
    Clifford Rozier 3.1 ppg 2.9 reb
    Robert Churchwell 1.5 ppg .8 reb
    Geert Hammink 1.3 ppg .3 reb
    David Wood 1 ppg .8 reb

vs what the current healthy rockets who were in the NBA last year did:

Luis Scola 12.7 ppg 8.8 reb
    Aaron Brooks 11.2 ppg 3 ast
    Carl Landry 9.2 ppg 5 reb
    Trevor Ariza 8.9 ppg 4.3 reb
    Kyle Lowry 7.6 ppg 3.4 ast
    Shane Battier 7.3 ppg 4.8 reb
    Brent Barry 3.7 ppg 1.7 reb
    James White 1.8 ppg .3 ast
    Brian Cook 1.3 ppg .6 reb
    Chuck Hayes 1.3 ppg 3.5 reb
    Joey Dorsey .7 ppg .3 reb

I'll be cheering the team on, and if we can make a big trade or get Tmac back healthier than he has been in several years then things could improve drastically. We may even have a shot of pushing for the 8th seed regardless if we get bigger contributions than expected from some of the new players, or if Brooks and Scola make a big jump, but I wouldn't bet money on it at this point. For now I will go in expecting the worst and be pleasantly surprised if they over perform. After all we have lost 5 of our top 7 scorers from last year, and it remains to be seen how that gap will be filled.

15. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

I honestly see us ending up in the 9 or 10 slot in the West, behind LA, SA, Portland, Dallas, Denver, Utah, PHX, NO, and possibly OKC.

We'll be strong defensively on the perimeter, but teams are going to punish us inside.

It'll be interesting to see how Adelman decides to handle LA's frontcourt of Gasol, Bynum, and Odom? We'll counter with Hayes, Andersen, Scola, possibly Landry on Lamar? Big size mismatch for LA.

If you thought the team this year was scrappy and tough, the '09-'10 Rockets are going to fight like junkyard dogs. Scola's going to be the face of the team.

16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Luis Scola averaged 12.7 points last year, more than anyone else on the current roster bar Yao and Tmac. Of the 29 other NBA teams:

- 2 teams (MIL and SAC) have exactly 1 player who averaged more points than Scola.
    - 2 teams (MIN and NJN) have 2.
    - 9 teams (BOS, CHA, CHI, CLE, LAC, MEM, MIA, NYK, OKC) have 3.
    - 12 teams (DAL, DEN, GSW, IND, LAL, NOH, ORL, PHI, PHO, POR, SAS, WAS) have 4.
    - 4 teams (ATL, DET, TOR, UTA) have 5.

More than half the teams in the NBA have 4 guys who outscored our highest scorer. Jesus.

17. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

we will make the playoff, you can quote me.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'll be rooting for them to make it and think they have a pretty decent chance.

But mostly I want to express my suprise that the following has not yet been posted in this thread yet:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p3-eavMSBnk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p3-eavMSBnk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

If they start Chuck Hayes, they will make the playoffs. If they start that weak Euroleague guy, I promise you they will resemble The Atlanta Hawks 3-4 years ago with Zaza Pachulia and Al Harrington.

Basketball is about chemistry and you will see a lot of guys like Scola and Ariza just putting up numbers in losses if you don't have the right mix.

The best possible and most balanced starting lineup Adelman can put on the floor is:

Hayes
    Scola
    Ariza
    Battier
    Brooks

Having Anderson and Scola in the game at the same time would be one of the most terrible front lines in recent memory of any team I can think of. Teams would have a field day inside on them.

Though Rick Adelman has proven in the past to be like Mr. Magoo when it comes to coaching, so I expect him to ride David Anderson and Luis Scola right into the lottery.

[​IMG]

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I would project the scoring averages for that line up to be around:

Hayes 5 ppg
    Scola 16 ppg
    Ariza 10 ppg
    Battier 8 ppg
    Brooks 16 ppg

That assumes every one of them makes a jump in their scoring averages from last year, which is fairly reasonable considering they will get more shot attempts and playing time, but at the same time they won't have Yao to draw consistent double teams for wide open shots either. Brooks showed some scoring ability in the playoffs, but his decision making was often lacking and he was extremely up and down. Hopefully he can improve in both areas. Scola is solid, but we will have to see if he can be the go to guy on an NBA team. It's hard for me to look at that line up and think they won't stuggle to score points on a regular basis.