1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough with the Morey hate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Feb 18, 2010.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

The difference between the trade with the Kings and the potential trade with the Knicks is short term and long term success. I envision Morey's reasoning by acquiring Martin is for it to increase the Rockets chances of winning a championship in the next year. We all know the window of the Yao era is closing quickly. Hopefully, Yao is able to come back from his injury back to his normal self. If he is able to, the addition of Martin instantly makes us championship contenders. The trade to acquire Martin is Morey's way of saying that the Houston Rockets are trying to win a championship NOW, before the Yao era ends, which could be very soon given his injury history.

The trade with the Knicks, on the other hand, is about long term success. With the contracts and the future first round picks we receive sets us up quite nicely in 2011 and beyond. However, the deal with the Knicks has small impact on championship implications next season. With next year being the last year on Yao's current contract, this possibly could be the last year of the Yao era. If Yao either doesn't return to form or goes to another team, it effectively ends any championship hopes in the near future. As much as Yao has been injured, immobile, and unathletic, 7 feet 6 inches 20-10 big men don't exactly grow on trees.

The Knicks trade might yield better assets in the FUTURE, but the Kings trade sets the Rockets up to contend for a championship NOW. I cannot tell you which trade I prefer more as nobody has an idea how Yao will perform post injury. However, Daryl Morey has proven to be as farsighted as any GM in the league, I'm absolutely certain he is not only setting the Rockets up to be championship contenders NOW, but also for us to be a great team in the FUTURE if the Yao thing doesn't pan out. Mark my words, this is not the end all be all trade. Whether we decide to flip Kenny Thomas' contract and Rodriguez's or anybody else on the roster (Battier, Ariza, etc), THERE WILL BE MORE TRADES IN THE FUTURE.

1 person likes this.
  2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I love the forum after any deal Morey has made up until this day. Whether it was a draft pick, trade, or signing the board always questions it but at the end of the day almost every move he has made has been the right one for this team. You figure he would get a bit more margin before the world implodes on him.

Lets see what happens in the long run. Not the first day before killing the guy. He has made a lot of people on this board eat crow and I'm sure he will do it again.

I hate losing Landry in the deal but did you expect us to just give away total junk and get something in return? There is always more to the story than we know. We are on the outside looking in.

3. sunnianchun

sunnianchun Member

我只是想说 他就是sb in english!!! i don't know how to say!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Yao is done as a player. Having season ending leg and foot injuries will do that to a 7'6 guy.

Mark my words, next season Yao WILL get injured again. This was a bad trade no matter how you spin it.

Morey is an excellent GM, but in this case he blew it. Plain and simple. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  5. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Are we overlooking something?
    Are KT, Hilton Amestrong and Sergio all expiring contracts too?

6. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I think Morey's logic behind this trade was that Carl Landry probably wouldn't sign with us after next season so he made a gamble to see if Martin+Yao would work. As for Landry's replacement (aka Scola backup) I am sure he will find one shortly and/or in the offseason.

PS. The rookie poster @ #3 needs to STFU. You can question Morey's decisions but that doesn't mean you can talk **** about him.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

and what was Landry? an All-star "big" man?

You like wishing injuries on Rockets players? That make you feel like a Big Boy?

take your bull **** some where else.

8. linyunblue

linyunblue Member

can we have a much better trade right now?
    the chance is below 50%

so this trade might not be terrible.

and what our team needed, under this circumstance, is simply a talent from medical school.

9. Rocketman2000

Ok Reeko, I don't know if you are just dumb or ignorant. Yao has had season ending LEG/FOOT injuries for what now 3 yrs in a row. I don't know if you know what ODDS are but ODDS are he will get hurt again.

So back off little man and the grown ups talk!

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Come on man have a little bit more faith than that. Don't know if you follow it that close or even cared to but Big Z in cleveland had the same type of problems and everyone wrote him off. He had minor surgeries but never really fixed the problem.

Yao could have done the same thing this last time but opted to do the season ending one which was recommended by Big Z after they spoke. Z has been pretty darn solid since this type of procedure so I will wait till the end result before guaranteeing any type of injury.

11. Rocketman2000

Agreed, I hope you are right, but remember Z didn't have to play two seasons each year. Yao does .. on here and one in China.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Why hate on the man that have rebuild this team from a bunch of old timers to a team that is brimming with young talents? Anyway, this will not be last trade before the dateline. So keep your hate till then.

13. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

They will all be RFA's. We can let them go after this year.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ohhhhh, man. You'd better watch that smart mouth! Quoting Camby's tattoos will only get you in trouble, buster.

15. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Watch out young boy. Gotta act yo'self appropriately. :rolleyes:

Actually I can read what you wrote here, but just watch yo'self.

16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Good post. Too bad these NBA GMs on here just dont see it like that. They really think whatever player we want we just go get him. As easy as that.

Yes, Landry was playing well for us. Won us some games and kept us in games when nobody else could score. Applaud him for that. Fact is, he is still a undersized PF (that has trouble against taller PFs) and was due a BIG extension after this year. Moving him allows us to re-sign Scola and Lowry. So you give up a bckup PF and bring in a scoring SG (which you have needed for 8 years now) and gain the ability to resign your starting PF and backup PG (whom has also kept you and won some games). And who knows what else Morey might do before the day ends....

17. Jackcaas

Jackcaas Member

Hi, I have to say you should be polite. We should control our emotion. Chinese culture and tradition taught us how to be good mannered. You should watch out! You would better learn the Classic Chinese textbook. Virtues is very important.

18. Garner

Garner Member

No problem, let me translate....

Ha, yea right. I wish.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Martin is a money-ball player. He's locked up at $11 million over the next 3 years. Landry is the ultimate money-ball player. Now, it comes down to needs. Landry needs more minutes to improve. Martin needs a team that can win. The Rockets need a scorer, and the Kings need a young talented that can also free up some salary for the big 2010 free agency. They might get lucky. I know we did.

Good trade for everyone.

20. Garner

Garner Member

Right there with you man. However, I think everyone on here should be rubbing their hands together like a five year old on Christmas morning. When I hear Knicks have entered a 3 team conversations, I still see a part of the deal knicks/Rockets deal happening; Hill? picks?

The Knicks are whimpering right now. Morey just gave them the finger and said, don't want to meet my demands? fine, hello Kevin Martin (former Adelman player).

Morey is smarter than all of you, including me. Unless you can show me a degree from MIT with an expertise in Sports Analytics, I'm going to put my faith in his choices. Hate to break it folks, but you forum warriors ripping Morey apart only know a fraction of what he does.

That fraction is not enough to determine if he has made a good or bad trade decision.