1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough of this Blackout BS!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JunkyardDwg, Jul 31, 2003.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Apparently, the fans aren't the only ones around town getting frustrated over this blackout nonsense.

Chronicle - Blackout frustration
    Like many Houstonians, several of the Astros' family members were disappointed when Tuesday's TBS telecast of the Astros-Braves game was blacked out in Houston.

Per Turner Sports' agreement with Major League Baseball, Braves games on TBS are blocked out within a 100-mile radius of the opponent's stadium. That meant Craig Biggio's wife, Patty, and Lance Berkman's wife, Cara, shared in the frustration of many Houstonians.

"You have two first-place teams, so it would have been nice for people in Houston to watch," Biggio said. "If there's television cameras filming a game, I think everybody should be able to watch. There's no reason the people of Houston should not have been able to watch that game."

Berkman learned of the blackout from Cara after the game.

"I don't understand why they do that," Berkman said. "They're not going to sell any more tickets by doing that. I thought the blackouts were to try to get people to come to the stadium. Why they would block out the road city makes no sense at all. Unless there's a reason I can't understand, I just think it's stupid."

Added Morgan Ensberg: "I guess TBS thought the fans in Houston should have flown to the game. It's only a two-hour flight."

Gregg Zaun agreed. "I think it's absolutely ridiculous," he said. "People want to see a ballgame with teams in first place. How can you not see it at home? I think all of the road games should be on TV. With TBS, the Braves are always on TV. There's some bitter people in Houston right now."

Alright, I for one, am sick of this blackout crap. The past three games, all CRUCIAL games, have been blacked out. And for no logical reason it seems. So I just wanna know who out there shares the frustration.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!!!!

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

Last night's game was televised here in Houston.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If you really want to watch, head over to your local sports bar. They should have it on there.

4. kevwun

kevwun Member

I live close enough to Houston so that the game Tuesday was blacked out. I live far enough away that last night, instead of the Astros on FSSW, I got the Rangers. Now that sucks. I did get to catch the last inning and a half on ESPN when it went past 9 at least.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my pet peeves:

1. blackouts of games in cities where your team is on the road...huh? clearly the astros blew this one...they don't televise every game...but at the beginning of the season, who thought it would be a good idea to not televise any of the Braves games? show me one less Brewer matchup and show the freaking Braves!

2. anytime the Braves are on ESPN. why? why the freak do i need two stations showing me the braves? this drives me utterly insane. show me more AL baseball...show me the Red Sox...or the Mariners...or pick up an NL west coast team i don't get to see often. but please...never ever again show me the braves playing the expos on freaking ESPN...if i have ESPN, I have TBS...I can catch the braves on that channel.

thank you

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Actually, I went out to eat last night and sat in the bar...asked them to switch it to the 'Stros but it was blacked out there! Go figure.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I thought they blacked it out when they showed it on 2 stations. Wasn't the game televised on FSN?

8. Buck Turgidson

If the bar has cable, it was blacked out. Not sure about dss though.

9. Major

Major Member

1. blackouts of games in cities where your team is on the road...huh? clearly the astros blew this one...they don't televise every game...but at the beginning of the season, who thought it would be a good idea to not televise any of the Braves games? show me one less Brewer matchup and show the freaking Braves!

Exactly! this is the Astros' job. TBS isn't allowed to show the road game in Houston because it would compete with Houston's marketing. The Astros and FSSW and KNews51 knew that from day 1. It's up to them to pick up that game - they had the choice and chose not to televise that game.

10. MadMax

no

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw the game on ESPN...I didn't know it was going to be shown there...Good national exposure and we actually won...

12. MadMax

huh?? the astros game last night was on ESPN??

it certainly wasn't the night before...we're talking about game 1 of the series..tuesday night

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It was on ESPN up here in crappy ass land.

14. bwarren

bwarren Member

Wednesday night's game was blacked out on ESPN, but it was on Fox Sports Southwest. I have DirecTV, and luckily the system provides "alternate" channels for some events, such as when both the Rangers and Astros are on FSSW at the same time. The Rangers were showing on the main FSSW channel and the Astros were on the alternate channel.

If I had cable and I was closer to Houston than Arlington, I would have called the cable company and chewed them out for choosing the Rangers game over the Astros game (and yes, they make the decision on which feed to show).