1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Enough is enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uac

uac Contributing Member

How about trade Yao to New York? hohoho

2. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

And Yao is learning to play like a C we want him to be. He was never a power player in his life. If we are going to give SF time to learn to play like a true PG after he player that position for 5 years, we better give Yao time to learn to be power C after 21 games the new offense system was set up. Calling "enough is enough" is unfair.

3. Donatello

Donatello Member

The poster who started this thread is truly one of the smartest basketball fans ever.
    Since you have argued every post of yours with logic and supporting facts, why don't you answer ttboy and munco's posts?
    It's amazing that for 7 pages you have replied to so many other threads but have deliberately ignored theirs.
    I'm calling you out, right now!

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

No, Juughead just used that title to copy DaDakota's title thread about Steve's boneheadedness. Juughead didn't think it was fair to bash steve(the 4 year vet) without anyone giving Yao(the one year vet) the same criticism so he's dedicated his life to bashing Yao now. A real winner... :rolleyes:

5. Juugie

Juugie Member

Ok, after being called out and all...

One, I never said Steve can carry us to a champiosnship. We don't currently have that type of player on our roster.

And Steve does all those stupid things for the same reason that Yao consistently holds the ball low and lets the guards come by and take it from him. For the same reason that Yao fails to get low post position. For the same reason that Yao tries in vain to back his noramlly smaller defender down. For the same reason that Yao resorts to the slo-mo turn-around that misses or is bloack more often than it goes in. For the same reason that Yao tips the ball around instead of grabbing it. For the same reason that Yao flops around trying to draw fouls instead of playing tough. For the same reason that Yao chokes and misses free throws at the end of games. For the same reason that Yao does a horrible job of showing on the pick and roll. For the same reason that Yao tries little flip moves under the basket that end up in the third row. For the same reason that Yao's greatest creativity is finding new people to be blocked and or dunked on by.

Because both of them have a long way to go as players.

6. farhan007

farhan007 Member

well, what about those people saying steve makes this team worse?

7. Juugie

Juugie Member

We had the same record this time last year and were also one of the top defensive teams in the league at this point last year. As per the Houston Chronicle.

Yao shoots better than Steve, better than Cuttino, etc. Yeah, he gets blocked too much for a 7'6" guy, but would you rather the guy that shoots close to 50% and gets to the foul line the most take the shot or the guy that shoots close to 40%. [/QUOTE]

If Yao would consistently be agressive and make his move quickly enough, I would have no problem with it. When he does that he is mostly successful. Yao doesn't have a scorers mentality. I don't think it does anyone any good to try to force them into something they aren't.

Yao isn't always going to have a great game. He did lose some rebounds he should have had, but if you watched the game you'll noticed that he was boxing out his man and getting pretty good position. [/QUOTE]

Yao has improved that part of his game and is doing a better job inside. But I fear his lack of quickness in moving and jumping will limit his effectiveness. Quickness is different than speed. Yao is a fast guy for his size, but his ability to change direction or to get in the air is very slow.

Yao is to blame for destroying SF's game and confidence? I don't think SF's game or confidence is destroyed. I think he's ok with the lower individual stats if we make the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Yao is not to blame. He is only doing what he is told. The coaching staff and the offense we are trying to implement is bringing down Steve AND Yao's confidence.

Do you watch the games? Seriously. Yao is rarely guarded by 6'9" guys. About 10% of the time he's been out there I'd say. Ben Wallace was only guarding him for a short part of the game vs. the Pistons. Brian Grant is the only guy that I can think of off-hand who fits your description. [/QUOTE]

Ok. I'll give you that.

A big reason why Cat, Steve, JJ etc. get good looks is because Yao is the focal point of the opposition. We let Cat and Steve run with it for enough years without a playoff birth. We haven't even gone halfway through the season with Yao as a focus and your're ready to give up. This is despite our team playing better than in recent years. [/QUOTE]

I think the team gets a bad rap about not being in the playoffs the last three years. Which team from last year were the Rockets clearly better than? You look at all of the teams that made the playoffs and you can make a case that all of them were better than the Rockets except Phoenix, and the Rudy situation really brought this team down. Also, Yao has to take some of the blame for last year. He was a major focus of the team and his poor play was just as much of a reason as Steve's that we didn't make the playoff. If you say he's only a Rookie/2nd year guy then let him be a Rookie/2nd year guy. Get his minutes when he can and fit in with the vets just like Boki or EG. Once you say he is the main or 2nd main option, the rookie excuse doesn't float.

Right now Yao is a good player. Hopefully he can become great, but that remains to be seen. If he leads us to the playoffs, it'll be more than anyone's done for this team in a long while. Your post just wasted 5 minutes of my life. Thanks. [/QUOTE]

Yao is a good player and hopefully he can become great. If the Rockets make it to the playoffs, it will be because of a team effort. However something tells me that if the Rockets make the playoffs it will be because of Yao but if they don't it will be becuase of Steve. And that's not fair.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

One of a few things you said that I can actually agree with. It's sad but it seems to be the way it is.

9. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

Juuie, do you know the basic rule of the salary match when the two teams begin trading...

1) Yao, Moochie, and throw in for Amare and Penny

4.1M + 3.6M < 1.9M + 13.5M

We need to add Cato or Cat... do you like it?

2) Yao and Moochie for Dampier and Nick Van Excel

4.1M + 3.6M < 7.8M + 10.9M

We need to add Steve... do you like it?

3)Yao and Mot T for Jermaine O'Neal and Artest

4.1M + 7.8M < 13.1M + 5.2M

we need to add Cat... Do yo like it?

4) Yao for Zach Randolph

4.1M > 1.2M

Portland need to add one more... you like it, right?

5) Yao for LeBron - I can dream right?

Use a big man for a potential superstar. I don't want to talk with you about it before Yao's fourth season in NBA.

In a word...

You are just a pure Yao-hater, noisy and plain stupid...

10. Charvo

Charvo Member

That's like saying Caron Butler was the reason the Heat didn't make the playoffs last year. Not putting the blame where it should be put is exactly why bad teams stay bad. If the Lakers don't do well, is it because of the rookie they just signed? If the Spurs had not won the title last year, was it because of Ginobli or Tony Parker? This is why I am in favor of putting the ball in Steve's hands to see if he can take the Rockets to the promised land. If not, trade him after the season is over. Cut the losses before he becomes Eddie Jones aka the payroll albatross. At this time, Yao does not deserve a max contract, but the revenues received from having Yao on the team may just get him the max contract anyway. However, there's still 2 more years to decide with Yao. Time is running out on Steve's reputation with the GMs in the NBA.

11. Donatello

Donatello Member

I think you have missed the point of ttboy. SF has been in the league for 5 years, yet he makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Where's the improvement? Enough is enough. I think 5 years is more than enough.
    Why are you singling out Yao in particular? Yao is in his 2nd year, and has only played a little over 100 games. It is impossible for him to be perfect now, and ask him to dominate now. But he will dominate in the future, for sure. Remember all of those "expert" analysts who said that Yao would be a bust and dunking poster, Yao has made them eat their words and kiss "asses".

Any team in the league would want Yao. Every GM would trade for Yao if it's possible, except for a handful of players. When Yao enters free-agency, he will get the max. You will see teams lining up to sign him. I don't remember excactly, but someone said before if Houston would want Yao then. The question is, will Yao stay in Houston?

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

You agree with this? It is a completely Yao-hater, Steve-lover statement. Yao has improved since last year, Steve has regressed HORRIBLY since last year, yet they are suppose to equally share the blame? Steve himself said he knew a lot of blame would be placed on him for any of the team's failures after he signed that huge contract, but he was willing to accept it. Too bad there are a few here that don't see it that way.

A lot of people are just missing the whole point of Steve and the rockets' failures because they are in love with him. Instead they're trying to move the majority of the blame from him to Yao(although Yao deserves his share).
    Steve is getting paid the same amount that Tim Duncan, Shaq, KG, and J.O'neal would be getting paid with his experience...how the HELL can anyone here think he isn't a BIG problem with these numbers? 17/5/5. Is that a Franchise player?

I wouldn't have a problem with Steve if he was getting Mobley's check, that way we could get a quality 1 or 4, but as of now we are stuck with this consistent loser that can't fit into any system that doesn't allow him to play streetball.

13. canoner2002

They are saying SF sucks at the PG position. But there is no doubt in my mind that this team, minus SF, will be going nowhere either. If we can trade SF for a true PG such as Kidd, Davis, or Marbury, we will be better. Yeah, keep the rest of the team, and trade SF for one of those, we will be better.

The same thing can not be said for Yao. There is no realistic trade for Yao that can make this team instantly better, because when SF runs the offense, he is underusing others' talents, at least at this stage.

14. canoner2002

I want to say we are doing better than last year as of today. Although we had the same record, we had fewer road games up to this point last year.

15. spydermex

spydermex Member

uh last time i checked its big men who win championships, right (well for the exception of jordan)

16. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

[QUTOE]
    Originally posted by Juugie

One, I never said Steve can carry us to a champiosnship. We don't currently have that type of player on our roster.
    Because both of them have a long way to go as players.
    [/QUOTE]

OK. I agree that Yao isn't a great player yet. but after 4 years of lottories Steve has led us to, wouldn't it make sense to try something else? if you think Yao isn't going to lead us anywhere based on his perfomance in one and a quarter NBA seasons, what makes you think Steve would lead us anywhere after 4 seasons of failures? if your favorite player Steve can have 4 years to prove he sucks at playing pg, wouldn't it be unfair that you jump to the conclusion Yao with only one and a quarter seasons under his belt will never be great?? and ASSUME that both of them are not the type of player that can carry us to a championship, why the heck would you trade Yao but not Steve other than "Steve is my favorite player, I want to see him ride on another true superstar's cocktail to win a ring, and I don't care about Yao"?

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Larry Bird
    magic johnson
    Bad boy's(isiah thomas, joe dumars)
    they were the best of there team, and they weren't big man. they had good big man on theyr team, but they were the most importent players. so not only big man win championships.
    i do not know who i would have picked, yao or james. They both have great talent.
    Yes 1000 posts. now it is a fact i do not have a social life:D

18. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

LOL!!! :D

19. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

I thought this Juugie troll wa going away? :(

20. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

good question. Maybe Yao should just pack up and leave after his contract is up, just so trolls like this juugie can be happy. I hear Mark Cuben is ready to pay big bucks for Yao.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.