1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough is enough, it's time to move Francis to the 2 spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j-bone, Jan 18, 2002.

1. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I dont know what Allen Iverson has that Steve doesn't. It would be a great move to put Steve at the 2 and tell him his job is to score. I dont think Mobley is the answer at the 1 or 3 right now so i dont see it happening but it would be nice to do in the future.

2. JAG

JAG Member

I maintain that, short of acquiring a Jason Kidd or Jason Williams, I would never make Steve into a 2...WHile I see SOME similarities between Francis and Iverson, I think that Steve is already a better creator and more willing passer than Iverson will ever be. The strides he has made to become a point guard are remarkable, and he's on his way to becoming the best at his position, whereas at the 2 he'd be up against guys like Bryant, Carter, McGrady, Allen etc. Besides, the point of moving him to the 2, were Moochie the point guard, would be completely lost, as he'd never get the ball until Moochie was finished his ball-inflation tests each time down the court...

3. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

long time no post....

hmm...

I think everyone seems to be missing the point. ;)

Alright, If Steve is going to continue to be point guard then I feel we needa true shooting guard at the 2 spot. Cuttino is good, but his real explosiveness comes from when hes the 6 man, I mean I remember him lighting it up coming in fresh 2nd quarter. His game I feel doesn't compliment Stevies game because they basically pose the same threat of shooting a three or penetrating. Steves true game is his mid range, damn if he would only listen to Calvin more "STOP AND POP" (terrell brandon is king like that)... We need to highlight Steves best point by giving him more oppurtunities to penetrate by loosening up a defense through a shooting guard coming off picks and just shooting the ball from everywhere (like reggie miller, although I understand that kinda quality is hard to come by) ... Steve Smith would be a good guard to accompany Steve, or Allan Houston ... hmmm Wally at the 2?

If you want Stevie to be a two, you need a Tony Parker, Moochie is also a great BACKUP point guard. This whole Jason Williams talk, jesus, I don't know if we can lose enough cames for something like that, isn't Williams going to go like 1? 2? ....

I think if we could trade Stevie and say Oscar Torress, for Lamar Odom and Cory Maggette, maybe throw in some other things, maybe a keyon dooling? I think any combination of a same level player FOR Stevie, and maybe unload a contract of ours and fill another whole would be the only reasonable way to go about it.

Mobley though...He just makes Stevies game redundant, and the defense is ready. What if in a special dream of mine you could trade Mobley, Rice, and Terrence Morris for some better role players and a decent shooting guard, don't know if it thats enough trade worth though..

oh well...

I give up!
    :)

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Francis-Cuttino combo is better than a Bryce-Francis combo.
    :p

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Lets see.

Steve on going to Vancouver:

"I wanna be a point guard, I don't wanna be a shooting guard."

Rockets to Francis in his contract year:

"Be our shooting guard."

I don't know, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

6. JAG

JAG Member

Very good point.

7. Sane

Sane Member

Cuttino would be awful running the PG position. Steve would be posted up time and time again by the, now, much bigger SG's in the League. Don't give me any Iverson crap, because the only reason his team succeeds is because the other 4 players are not featured in their offense, they're all above average or excellent defensive players, and were put together to clean up the misses from his not even .400 shooting.

We're not the Sixers, we're the Rockets. We are more of an offensive team, and are beggining to try hard on defense. From watching this year's games, I can see a lot of the players have improved defnsively (Francis, Cat, Cato). We've also added T-Mo and Griffin. Our team includes options on offense like: Maurice Taylor, Kenny Thomas, Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, Glen Rice, and to a lesser extent Moochie Norris, Kevin Willis, and Walt Williams.

If Francis was playing the 2-guard for us, I'd be rooting to move him to move to the PG position, even if he averaged 25ppg.

1) He'd be getting posted up night after night.
    2) He's the best ball handler on our team, and also the most creative passer of the ball.
    3) He CAN rack up assists, rebounds, and points at the PG position. While at the SG position, he'd be more points, less rebounds, and less assists.

If you're worried by Steve's assist numbers, then that's not a reason to bring this up. It's been discussed before, and our system is just not one where you can rack up 10 assists every night. Also, he's recently improved his passing a lot.

Personally, I think we'd be getting more production at the PG spot, where he is playing right now. I don't think he'll ever be moved to the 2-spot, for the reasons above, and because of the Vancouver situation.

* No, we cannot trade Mobley for a PG.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sane,

Improved on defense? WTF?

We are like 29th on defense.

Our team is HORRIBLE on defense, Francis gives "FAKE" effort on defense, he pretends to try hard but if you really watch him, he lets his man blow by him everytime.

Earth to Steve, it is not a mismatch if you guy scores the same number of points as you do.

Cat at least tries on defense, Mooch...is the worst defender I have ever seen.

The guards are simply not committed to playing winning basketball, they play for show and dough, not to win.

DaDakota