1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough is enough...fire rudy and trade the ball-hogging guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jh3lau, Jan 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sun12

sun12 Member

Of course it is his fault! If missing FTs happens only for one game, then you can argue it is players' fault. However, it is a pattern here. Every time we lost to a below-average team, players always missed a lot of FTs!!! It must be the game preparation or training, it falls on Rudy!

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I try not to blame one person for any loss, especially Steve, but this loss was 100% on him today. Too many missed shots and too many turnovers...

Mark my words, the Rockets will be at .500 or worse before they win again...

3. theguent

theguent Member

Free throws have NOTHING to do with preparation/training at this point in these players careers. These guys should have learned to shoot FT's before they got to the NBA Level. If they are struggling, that's one thing that they should not waste time in practice on- that's something they must work on one their own.

4. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

I watched the Warriors game the other day. They were all over Yao, promoting his next game at Golden State. I wonder how their own players feel.:D

5. sun12

sun12 Member

Are you joking? It is coach's job to prepare players psychologically on the road. Phil Jackon is a master in preparing his teams and that's why the Lakers won game 7 of the WCF. Adelman is stupid in talking referee's fault so that he FORGOT to prepare his players to play game 7! The Kings stunk at the FT line in game 7 and they lost it.

Don't say sh*t players should do this and do that. Let me tell you, players do not do this and do that. These players are kids, they should be in college or at some entry-level jobs. They do not know responsibility or passing the ball around. They have to be trained and well-prepared!!!

6. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

WALTON!!!

7. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

lol...you are right. Phil Jackson is the best at pyschology and mental stuff.

There must be a reason players miss their free throws. All players should make their free throws...they're NBA players!

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not really.

The team outside of Francis shot exactly 50% today, 26-52. Everyone misses shots, it happens. We're about average in terms of FG%. Steve's low assist numbers have very little to do with people missing shots. And I don't think the vast majority of Francis' turnovers have come from passes bouncing off a guy's hands; he's had balls stripped, and dribbled into crowds.

I really think that Francis and Mobley just aren't smart players...they aren't trying to freeze Yao out of the offense, they just don't know any better, and I don't think that's a reflection of Rudy; I really question if it's within their games to be that type of guard.

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Well, I only watched the fourth quarter. And the shots at the very end that we needed were missed. :(

10. pchan

pchan Member

I can't believe there are still people arguing that francis shouldn't pass because his teammates are missing their shots.. This is not playground or backyard basketball.. they run plays.. and at any level, you don't have a good shot, then you PASS the ball to someone else who may have a better shot. The point is to keep the ball moving... to force the defense to make decision.
    during the third quarter bulls run.. there were consecutive possessions in which either francis or mobley just dribble from left to right to right to left.. dribble forward.. nothing, turn backward.. go back forward, still nothing.. so they just shoot the ball..
    no one else in the team even got to touch the basketball... and then finally one possession francis decided to pass it downlow to yao.. but then, he was so damn close to yao, the spacing was so poor, and then his pass was so soft, that it got taken away easily by francis's defender.
    I almost explode! I waited so long for them to pass the ball, and they give me a pass likes that
    The thing is.. those dribble between the legs.. and shoot in the opponent face at about 18 to 20 feet.. or post up.. fade away.. you can get those shots any time... they should never be the first option. But so many times it is obvious francis wants to shoot.. not that because it is in the flow of the offense.. but he simply wants his number! That's frustrating to watch.
    I think either francis or mobley has to become a pass first, shoot second mentality guard, they are both capable.. if the team is ever going to be really good.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I think you need to stop smoking whatever you are smoking.

12. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Yes the coach is important, but it's these types of excuses that have ruined the current NBA.
    If you're old enough to sign that contract for millions of dollars, you're old enough to be critized when you suck.
    No one is expecting execution similar to the Jazz, but damn.....can we pass and move the ball around?!
    You are right though, they have to be trained and well-prepared, BUT NOT WITH THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE GAME, and not this late into their basketball career.
    Minus the exception, the majority of these players have been playing basketball for at least 5 years before entering the NBA.

I've seen better communication at pick up games between people that didn't know each other.
    Hell, if we don't actually know any of the plays(like we're running any now :rolleyes: ), move the ball around, set picks, someone post up, move without the ball, JUST DO SOMETHING!

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Classic definition of a "Bandwagon fan"

See ya bud...dont let the door to the BBS hit ya on the way out...we wont miss you.

There are very few people posting in this thread that have a clue at why we lost and who is to blame.

Professional basketball players should know how to hit their freethrows...period. This is not an area that you can blame the coach for. You like to claim that Phil "The Antichrist" Jackson does a better job of getting his players ready to hit free throws? Explain Shaq to me then...

The thing that kills us everytime is when SF and CM take it upon themselves to try to win the game by driving into the middle of 4 players and tryin to force the issue instead of moving the ball to the open man..

Today, we had a good chance to win, the last play was just a plain old lucky toss up..but we would not have been in that situation if the players could have hit even half of the freebies they missed..

oh, and also...yall need to quit talkin about trading Yao cause..........IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN! NO WAY , NO HOW...so just give it up...
    The way yall talk, you have never been a fan of a team thru good times and bad...I guess not many of you were Oilers fans..:(

14. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Steve took 29 shots Yao took 9 Steve had 7 turnovers and you say he played well. I don't think that a so called point guard that has 7 turnovers and takes 29 shots is doing his job.

:D :D :D :D :D

15. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member