1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enjoying our Rockets team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I'm amazed at all the drama that is on the boards these days. Panic posts. Hype. Knee jerk reactions. Dichotomous extremes in debating imbalanced sides of the issues, instead of debating the practical realities of where we are and what we can do, in the middle, in the reality. People getting pissed at each other. Every time we lose, fire, trade, he's done, we're screwed, disappointment, outrage ... exhaustion.

It's hard as a Rocket fan to even post to a lot of this stuff, and provide balance, because its all so emotional, irrational and extreme. If you disagree with someone, you sound like a hater or a hyper. Little reality ... and not how a majority of Rockets fans think.

DaDakota started much of this conflict with all the fire JVG and the Greek TMac worship preaching, dividing the board into armed camps, with his thousands of posts, just repeating the same thing over and over and over and over. I warned at the time it would destroy the boards. Once he got his way, things settled down a bit. But, now he wants to get rid of Ron, and says TMac is done, instead of believing in our team, giving them a chance, and rooting for them to succeed, excited in their progress, while holding our fingers. There will always be something to complain about, and demand change to be now, and this message board has gained plenty of power now to influence how the media reports things. This is where the fans are and what they are feeling, so even management and players come here to get our pulse, however offensive that might be. We've all learned that if you yell loud and long enough, you can stir up the mob, and even get people to do something stupid, like crucify Jesus (not that any of our players are remotely in that category ... just to illustrate a point). That's one way to use this board. But, that's not the way this board used to be, even though conflict popped up here and there. It used to be a lot more fun and intelligent. I definitely don't want DaDakota to leave (I like him), but I'd love for him and others to use their power to lead in a direction that builds this community, not tears it down, and makes it fun for everyone to post, and not keep pushing it into an armed reactive camp.

What I always loved the most about this place over the years was our ability to discuss, brainstorm ideas, figure stuff out together about our team, and find out something faster here than anywhere about our team ... a central place for all things Rockets. There was such a wealth of inside information, basketball knowledge, and comradery here. For 12 years, I've set this as "home" for my browser. You came here every day to see if you could get any news or ideas or contact with other fans, who loved this team. It was a great community. But, now, its hard to post with much thoughtfulness. If you do, it moves quickly and disappears, since everyone is so used to the conflict and arguing back and forth, majoring in the minors, and minoring in the majors.

Our team is actually considered one of only 5 or 6 teams who are contenders, even though we are on the finge of people's lists. That is VERY COOL. That's better than anything we've had in 13 years, and better than 90% of the rest of the country. Why can't we enjoy our team, even when they lose, even if they're having a hard time finding their way, even if they don't win the championship?

I'm not saying stick our head in the sand, ignore the problems we face, and not make wise trades to upgrade the team, as opportunities present themselves. I love brainstorming trades ... just not all the hype and panic. Some disappointment and frustration is fine and normal, especially after we lose, but not all the mob-like "off with their heads" screaming posts.

I know, kumbaya and all that. Make fun of it if you will.

But I miss how fun this board used to be, and wish there was a way to regain some of what we've lost, and come here to enjoy our Rockets team, express our pride in our team without ridicule, proud of being excited classy Houston fans, without having to listen to the screams of the mob all the time.

Anyone else feel this way?

#1 Sherlock, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

too much panic

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Trade DD!

:D

4. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

This board really does overreact too much. But the disappointment and frustration is justified.

It's just really hard to "enjoy" this team now. You can honestly say that this team has underachieved for the past 5+ years, which probably causes all the drama on this board.

I myself is not enjoying this season, but I definitely still bleed Rockets red.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

who can we get from another board that will post as much as he does and at the same cost?

i dont think we will get the same value back in return

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I think we're just frustrated because we have been a top tier team ever since T-Mac was traded to Houston. We all thought the T-Mac/Yao combination would have us going deep into the playoffs year after year, but all we ever get is disappointment.

Things have gotten worse lately because T-Mac is clearly declining and our window of opportunity is closing quickly. A breeze is just barely getting through anymore. Most of us realize something has to change and we disagree on what needs to be done.

You watch, once this teams begins winning again (I believe!!!) much of the arguing and bickering will stop.

7. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

thank you for that post. last year i found myself freaking out after each loss and being on cloud 9 after every win. however, as soon as we were ousted in the first round, i looked back on the entire regular season highs and lows and noticed that they truly meant nothing. there is absolutely no reason to get too elated over one win or too sad over a terrible loss. it sucks yeah, but its surprisingly not the end of the world. in the end it is just a game that we watch for entertainment, not our livelihood. i think its important to be a great fan but realize that when the game ends sometimes we should just relax and realize it was a game, nothing more nothing less.

basically calm down and lets see what happens in the playoffs, thats the only time that particularly matters. if there are ten games left and we are losing constantly and out of the playoff race, i'll probably be freaking out with you. but if we gel in the last five games of the season in 8th place then i'll be happy. we can beat any team with the talent we have. and if we dont, at least we'll get to laugh at whatever excuses our organization/players try to muster.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No.

Knee jerk reactions? Yao Ming + Ron Artest + Tracy McGrady + Luis Scola + Shane Battier + etc etc = Losing to Memphis (twice), Philadelphia (twice), NY, Milwaukee sans Bogut and Redd, Indiana (twice), Washington....

Now, you DID post a "kumbaya" remark about yourself, and THAT I will agree with wholeheartedly.

If we want the fun back, the team needs to make some changes. It's like being in an unsaveable marriage. Divorce will suck, staying together will suck worse.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol DD is the most called out member on this MB. I don't really see what is so bad about him. He gives his opinion and he listens to others opinions even if they disagree with him. He doesn't name call.

10. Miguel45

Miguel45 Member

I agrea DaDakota is a loser who needs to get a life he messes up this board

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    No, it is people like you who that continuously bash others that are the "losers"... :rolleyes:

12. Convictedstupid

I think with the embarrassments we've had this season (as stated above)... A few 'knee-jerk' threads are called for.

If you can call them knee-jerk.

13. fmp087

fmp087 Member

QFT..

14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

hard to enjoy these times when the rockets are playing WAY below expectations, especially when you know they're better than that.

in the end, we're all fans. we're passionate about our wins just as much as our losses.

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

DD is NOT a loser, and I'm glad he's here on the boards, one of many who are great members and bring variety to this place ... would just love him to build, not tear down, and have more posts that encourage variant opinion and discussion. I'd love to hear his ideas of why he believes what he does, instead of repeating what.

;)

16. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Err, not really. We are no different from most fans.

If you want to see overreacting fans, check out Boston Red Sox. We are way milder by comparison. ;)

As much as we complain, we still watch all the Rockets games. That's passion for you.

Now if our beloved Houston Rockets players give as much ***** about winning as we do, we will not be asking ourselves what went wrong. :mad:

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I have to agree with a great deal of what the thread starter said. I've been on this board for a long time, had to resign up in 02, but one of the things I always liked was the high level of discussion I'd find for the most part. Now and for the last few years it feels like it keeps degrading to juvenile with me or against me fights.

It’s hard for to even read some of these threads in the GARM and much less post in them, hell I mostly stay in the Hangout more than anything.

This team has some major faults but I'm still watching every game and still hoping they can find their defensive stride again.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Clutch needs to have moderators who are on the board during the day, locking threads or joining threads. This is the main problem, there's not real regulation of threads except for official locks like for game threads or something way off topic. I could easily start a yet another thread right now about tmac's knee and it wouldn't be locked, even though everything that could be said, has been said. It's just too easy to click that "new post" button and vent. Make it harder to do that, and posters won't rush to do it, theyll think twice, and realize there's no need for their post or just go add to an already existing post.

19. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

At least DD offers insight in his comments. I have no problems with people being "haters" if they can back up their arguments with statistics, quotes, etc. The ones who stretch the truth, don't think logically, and who follow the names on the back of the jerseys rather than the front are the ones that I cannot stand.

First, we had *** and YOH. And now we have *** and TOH.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wrong forum, but....I will try to defend.

I guess, I am the most visable punching bag....but I honestly think there are a few different personality types.

The two main ones I have noticed are:

There are those types of fans that just want to cheer the team on, don't get too high or too low, they just want to talk calmly about the team.

Then there are those that ride the highs and lows with the team and wear their emotions on their sleeves...I am clearly of this ilk.

I do agree with Sherlock though, I get caught up in one thought sometimes too often and hammer that point home.

I guess that is usually when my opinion is in the minority, but I feel strongly about it. (JVG/VSpan/Ron Doesn't fit) etc.

Either way, every single person on here has the power to ignore the other. I just wish that people that clearly did not like a posting style utilized that power more often.

At the end of the day, we are all here discussing the Rockets, good and bad, I enjoy it all, but I can see where some might not, and wish for a more measured discussion.

I guess just learn to filter out the venting from the discussion....that is what I do.

DD

#20 DaDakota, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009