1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enjoy These Last Years of Harden's Prime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElPigto, Sep 12, 2020.

1. swakid8

swakid8 Member

This is what I’ve been preaching throughout the forums today. Harden needs a coach that will install an offensive system that can get buckets from different areas of the floor, get other teammates involved so that Harden isn’t carrying the load, and create structure.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

At the end of the day bro, it's a game. Of course, I'd go absolutely apeshit if we won a championship, but thankfully I've learned to not get so damn emotional about the game anymore. I'll always be a fan, and I'll always represent Rockets basketball, but I refuse to become childish anymore. It could be that I am just used to this during the Harden era and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. A certain percentage of posters here are expecting Harden to turn into this aggressive, never give up type of player that will leave it all on the court and you'll feel good even after a loss, but unfortunately that's not how Harden is. I learned my lesson after the Spurs playoff loss in 2017, so I set expectations accordingly and it's been a lot easier on me.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It would sort of be an admission too that he's at the point in his career where he can help a team win a title, not be someone who demands having a team built around him. That's got to be a pride swallowing thing you have to respect honestly. If he asks for Brooklyn, or maybe even GSW, that's pretty pride swallowing, and just shows he just wants to win at the highest level. Can't say I blame him and would sort of respect that. GSW would be a low blow though for sure.

ElPigto likes this.
  4. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

It's a tough ask when the road always goes through the Warriors or Lebron James. If he was three inches taller I think he might have been able to play through some of the defensive schemes and score more consistently. Either way, he's a great player who just hasn't been able to get to the elite level as a team with the Rockets. I hope we get to watch him get at least another chance.

pgabriel likes this.
  5. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

thanks, you know what, being honest, everything has been so tough personally for me, I was looking here for a bright spot. But I can't blame Harden or Morey or the Rockets for that.

We all are who we are.

And it's like that with every single thing in life, if this is life with Harden and I'll be pissed off every year on the playoffs, so be it, its the same **** with my wife and I'm not looking to divorce

ronclone, Hakeemtheking and ElPigto like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I do too.

I want to keep watching James Harden be on our team. I know some posters don't enjoy his brand of basketball, understandably, but I love watching the guy play ball.

TimDuncanDonaut and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I will say though that the bubble league was .... a different kind of season & playoffs. MAAYYBEEE the weirdness of the bubble gives an excuse to run it back again, but honestly I thought the quality of basketball was pretty freaking good, and I doubt that there would be much better of a chance to get a better chance at how this team could make a run, but at least it's a possible excuse to have some hope.

ElPigto likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

That’s all folks.

lw17 likes this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I always laugh when ppl say life will be ugly after harden. Y’all probably said the same thing after 97 with Hakeem. And the w e got Francis who was considered a franchise player. And then Yao. And than TMac. Even the year between 09(last year we win a series) and to the acquisition of Harden werent terrible. I enjoyed watching those those teams because we were always transitions from Ab to Kyle Lowry to Dragic and then even Martin came eventually. Those teams were fun to watch with a chuck wagon(whose the best small ball center we had in the last decade) because we were always on the up.

Crashlanded19, lw17 and fryjol7 like this.
  10. Mr Chuck Norris

those chuck wagon, battier teams sucked.

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Harden is a stud. He works hard, has significantly improved his defense, and requires a double team. But the gap between his performance when he has the ball, vs. when he doesn't, makes it really hard to find playmakers to pair with him. It may be that he's in a system that makes the best use of his individual talents, but that it's not a system that can win a championship, because it leans too heavily on him.

I can't really think of a player we could put on this team, alongside Harden, who could get us to a championship without Harden significantly changing his game.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao...back then people were just hoping to make the playoffs and win a 1st round series...that went on for over a decade

yeah, great times indeed...

those Francis years were straight crap...gimme a break...it was like watching a young Westbrook who wasn’t good enough to even make the 8th seed except for 1 year where they lost in 5 to the Lakers

T-Mac years were all 1st round exits and 1 2nd round appearance, and it included 1 of the most painful to watch seasons of all-time with that 05-06 season...my god, that team was so boring and atrocious

ask Atlanta Hawks fans if they had fun watching their mediocre team for so long

whag00, joshuaao and HP3 like this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

They were average squad with a lot of grit, which says a lot about teams, the best because the suns and kings wish they were at least average.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

The T-Mac, Yao era was so much fun. T-Mac, although I hate him for the nixed Carter trade, was the real deal as well. T-Mac didn't have Harden's IQ and vision, but was twice the athlete, and could really shoot the ball. Heartbreak either way... Francis, Yao, T-Mac, Harden, that's 20+ years of basketball greatness, how do we continue upon that? The answer may lie in breaking up the band now and prying a young talent away from a desperate team. My number 1 target is Devin Booker.

15. Mr Chuck Norris

So what? That’s not winning anything either, 41-41 7-8th seed and out the first round every year it’s the same old garbage. We had those years and those average teams while we were waiting to land a star and we did.

lw17 likes this.
  16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Just watched his post game. I’ve been harsh towards him the past 48 hours but still got love for this guy. Always my favourite player. I stand by what I said regarding his demeanour on the floor last game, but there is way more good than bad about Harden, WAY MORE, and my frustrations masked that.

We’re keeping Harden and Russ for sure. And I would not be angry with having MDA back. We don’t have to worry about losing any key guys, and that IS a positive. We were 1 of the last 8 teams standing with this roster, and there were weird circumstances all season (change of roster, new look). Hopefully what appears to be a small piece this off season will be a perfect fit next year, and our guys improve where they can, and let’s try again next year.
    @francis 4 prez
    @HP3 how you like me now? :)

17. HP3

HP3 Member

I can't believe after watching this seres that people actually think "HARDEN OFF BALL" was the reason we lost this series. I hope we trade Harden to an actual team and you guys will see just how freaking wrong you really are.

gotsis likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Morey never built a championship team. CP3 injury year was the closest year. MDA gets outcoached in the playoffs as well. Harden has his demons but failure in the NBA is a group effort.

lw17 likes this.
  19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The Franchise teams were young. I don’t know about other fans but I give leeway to young squads with a good ceiling and the Francis teams had those. Growing pains are expected. His rookie year gave me
    Hope because I wasn’t feeling those old Barkley and Hakeem squads. I came on board years after the back to back championship. In franchis second year they took a leap forward and only missed the postseason because the West was the best it ever was. The third year was Messed up with injuries and afforded us the opportunity to draft Yao.

that wasnt a bad transition.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

He showed up this game haha, that's very nice bro. But man....after this performance, we are done. We gotta trade both players. Westbrook just to get him off this team and Harden just so he can have a better situation. Because MDA and Morey will probably get fired.