1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Energetic Kudos for Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Mar 31, 2010.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay,

Since we're on topic, can we stop pretending that part of her appeal is sex appeal?

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

In retrospect, I should have made it "Plow my plot, baby!" That would have made the sexual inuendo more succinct.

3. thumbs

The cartoon under scrutiny seems blatantly sexual. That said, no one seems to agree with the thread's praise of Obama.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Plow my pesticide-free all-natural nicely-manicured garden?

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Am I chopped liver?

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

But what about the endangered narwhales that live in that region?!?!

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Policy obviously accepted., though not needed. What is the significance if any of "plowing fields" from a racial perspective?

8. thumbs

Or, drill my 50-mile offshore, environmentally friendly, fishery safe oil fields? ;)

The oomph is gone either way.

9. thumbs

Super oops. As with almost all of the posters here, your opinion counts.

BTW, I'm sure the opposite sex must regard you as beefcake -- never chopped liver. :grin:

#29 thumbs, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well, I obviously thought about slavery as juicystream pointed out

11. thumbs

See Post #22. You're stretching again, glynch. Again, you demonstrate the inability to see issues from any perspective other than your own.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Interesting post on WashingtonMonthly...
    So, make them look even crazier all the while knowing that any of this drilling is a decade or more away... a decade which will be spent on the more sane aspects of energy policy. Good politics, particularly if you can leverage this issue into getting something worthwhile in the climate change arena.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

He's giving them all the rope they need to finish the job and push them towards some kind of schism. Savvy. May not work, but an impressive play.

14. thumbs

If Obama does indeed postpone offshore drilling for 10 years, that would be a huge mistake. Ten years for completing nuclear power plants is understandable, but we need a sane energy policy that transitions us from oil self-sufficiency to a non-oil economy, i.e. conversion to clean energy sources by a specific target date. It can't be done overnight, but a step-by-step approach would solve environmental issues without crippling the economy.

15. Major

Major Member

I don't think it's a matter of Obama postponing it. Everything I've read about it (even during the campaign) is that it takes about that long to really get the rigs fully functioning and operating and all of that. It's just a long-term thing - supposedly, that's also the reason the oil market didn't move on the news at all either.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it amazes me that the people calling for more drilling don't understand these basic concepts, like you can't just drag drill out there and start gathering oil. its a time consuming process

the other thing they don't seem to understand is land that is open to drilling isn't fully being used currently

17. thumbs

From what I understand, there are a number of oil rigs, particularly off the California coast, that are merely idle, some linking as many as 40 undersea wells to one platform. T. Boone Pickens, for one, says these wells could be on line within two years, perhaps much sooner.

18. Major

Major Member

I don't know anything about the California side of things, but in terms of the ones on the East Coast that Obama is opening up, I believe that area still has to be bid out, leased, explored, etc.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It will take ten years or more for the state legislatures to approve and the companies to do the exploration and decide if it is viable or not. The first lease for exploration won't be issued until 2012 at the earliest.

By the way, here are some more Repubs...

20. thumbs

Obviously, I am not an attorney with a marine specialty. However, if I recall correctly, the state's authority over its offshore areas stops short of the 50-mile limit. That is where federal law takes precedent. If there is a maritime oil attorney or an oil company geophysicist reading this, please provide some parameters / thoughts on this.

#40 thumbs, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010