1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

End the Electoral College

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BetterThanEver, Nov 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's time to end the electoral college. It's total cap that a candidate can get the most votes and still lose.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Obama will still win the popular vote once California gets in all the way

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can someone check on jopat

4. King Boo

King Boo Member

That's only happened once right? And there were other shady goings-on involved in that case :eek:

Agree completely though, and get rid of the Senate while we're at it.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

As much as people hate it the electoral college is the best way to hold an election. A completely democratic election is a recipe for disaster. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue massive recounts to determine who would succeed?

The purpose of the electoral college is to magnify that margin of victory so a clear victor is declared and the country is in no point of instability where the next successor isn't clear. We have always had a peaceful transfer of power, unlike many other countries.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That is not the purpose of the electoral college. The electoral college has been manipulated by our two party system to the point where 80%+ of the voting population is irrelevant in presidential elections. All a president has to do is pander legislation to the swing states to get elected. Case in point: Obamas auto bail out and Bushes (florida) medical prescription plan.

1 person likes this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Electoral college was originally put into place to prevent ignorant masses from voting. This was when information traveled slow.

It has no place in modern politics.

Regardless everyone freaking out about Obama not winning pop. vote; calm down. Not all the votes are in yet.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah, why do people not living in swing states even bother voting

9. King Boo

King Boo Member

This x 1000. I don't want the future of the country in the hands of the people of the corn and the near-death.

10. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Either way Obama would win. Most people in California haven't even voted yet.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Not sure what your political stance was, but this happened in 2000 also.

Did you feel that way also?

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Most of California has already voted. They closed the polls at 8 PM PST.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Even with an Obama win I agree. The electoral college is overly complicated and doesn't end up protecting the voter. It's stupid.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No. Get over it.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Get rid of EC would be great.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

As much as I hate the 2 party system the thing is it is dangerous when you have many candidates without a majority of the vote. Also, the way most states have it, the candidate winning the states gets the electoral votes. I don't like it much either, but do you honestly believe that a popular vote is the way to elect the president?

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given the population growth direction, I don't see why Republicans would want to scream against the Electoral College. I think in most cases, you'd think it would favor Democrats. After all, don't the Republicans usually get more states and their +2 votes?

I believe the concept of the Electoral College is fairly outdated given just how much the national govt has grown since the Constitution. But just as the Bill of Rights came about to protect the individual from the majority, I also don't know if we truly want a "majority rules" nation.

19. TheresTheDagger

It needs to go.

Stop disenfranchising millions of American's vote. If it works for EVERY OTHER TYPE OF POLITICAL RACE, it should work for President too.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand completely

Rocket River