1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Encouraging news from Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, May 28, 2009.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30337/arti.html

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA Americas Championship) - Houston Rockets and Argentinean national team forward, Luis Scola, talked to ESPN Radio of Rivadavia where he confirmed his participation in the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship.

"I try not to talk a lot about the national team but the reality is that I enjoy playing for the team because it has given my career a lot and I think that the qualification tournaments have to be taken very seriously. There are some who are probably not going like Manu Ginobili, Chapu Nocioni and some others but we always have a chance to qualify. Obviously there will be a generational change because it is natural. It will be painful to see the veterans go," said Scola.

He also talked about his future in the national team: "I want to believe that I will be in the next Olympic qualifier and that everything will be normal and that I can play. It is difficult to plan two of three years ahead of time. I am confirmed to play in this FIBA Americas Championship."

In the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship Scola was selected as the MVP with an average of 19.5 points and 7.5 rebounds leading Argentina to a Silver medal and a spot in the 2008 Olympics where they won Bronze.

The NBA star also talked about some Argentineans that could play in the NBA.

"There are many Argentineans that can play in the NBA. Pablo Prigioni and Carlos Delfino are two of them but they have their contracts and they have to analyze that. I want to sign a multiyear deal and stay in Houston. I have to see what the front office thinks."

:D :D :D

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

translation: Attention all NBA teams: I wanna get paid and I'll leave if Houston can afford it.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Awesome. It's a no-brainer for Morey. Just wonder how much he wants....

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I just want to thank the Spurs again for stashing this guy away for us.

5. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Sign him to a career contract

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

if this is from argentina i doubt he gave the interview in English....i wouldn't read into it too much since the translation may not be exact, not that Scola wants to leave, but i think the interivew makes it sound like a sure thing

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I wouldn't know what the hell to think if we somehow ended up with Manu.

I can deal with his scoring ability, but i'm not very fond of his flopping.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

How do you feel about Scola's flopping? ;)

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Just put a bucket next to you when you watch the game and dump it out when the game is over.

The only way to make sure you don't vomit on your nice rug. ;)

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't think Scola could ever be the whiny little flopper that Manu is.

I mean that guy is a professional flopper if there ever was one.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

False! You overestimate Manu! ;)

13. MD_in_Training

Scola's worth about 7 mil a year.

14. FlexKavana2009

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Well, if Scola wants (and the Rockets are willing to pay) more than $6.7M for the first season, then the team would be well advised to hold off on negotiations until its other free agency decisions for 2010 are made. Currently, Scola's cap hold is slightly less than $6.7M. However, if he signs a new contract for more than that amount, the Rockets salary cap room (to the extent the team even has any) will be further diminished.

Knowing how shrewd Morey is, I think Scola may have to wait awhile before he signs his long-term deal with Houston.

16. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

I have had the good fortune to meet a number of athletes in my life, and Luis Scola is one of the best people out of them all. He is an intelligent, humble, hardworking person, and I hope I never have to see him in a different NBA uniform. I know the NBA is a business, but in my opinion he represents everything that is and can be right about a professional athlete.

17. monster

monster Member

Do what it takes to lock up Scola.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Manu is like a more talented, SG version of Luis Scola. All the irritating things you think he does is exactly how other teams perceive Luis.

If the Rockets somehow got Manu, we'd be closer to the championship than we've been since the mid-90s (maybe the 96/97 season). He's exactly the type of player we need at the wing position.

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Seconded. Thirded. Scola needs to be a career Rocket. He's my favorite player from the western hemisphere ' :D

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I want to thank the Cavaliers. When San Antonio decided they needed to make a financial tweak, they went to Cleveland first. A big round of applause for former Spur Danny Ferry who had first shot and passed over Luis.