1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emoni Bates

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by xaos, Feb 14, 2021.

?

How good will Emoni Bates be?

1. Bust

22.0%
  2. Rotational player

30.8%
  3. All star

24.2%
  4. Superstar

16.5%
  5. Face of the NBA

6.6%
  1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum apparently we have an imposter on our team named Jalen Green. Mind blown.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Saw this thread, thought it was about Armoni Brooks, closed thread, turned off computer.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets Conspiracy

ElPigto likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

This kid is something else, with the guidance of Penny, he'll likely be a stud out the gate if no serious injuries occur.

Fulgore and xaos like this.
  6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Really wanted to see him play some legit teams, not Tennessee Tech and North Carolina Central. Past month has not been kind to him or the Tigers. Nice upset over Alabama though.

He's currently averaging 10-3-1 on 37-31-75 splits. Aside from the occasional wide open dunk, he looks weak and slow. On top of that, he doesn't have much of a handle. In an even scenario, creating any offense outside of a contested jumper looks like a struggle. Flashes the ability to make difficult shots though.

Plenty of time for mid-season improvement, and he has that extra year to self-evaluate and improve.

xaos and cheke64 like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah he isn't going to be the stud he was once projected to be. It happens more often than not

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Easily way too early to count a kid who should be a high school senior right now out

jiggyfly, Fulgore and Aware like this.
  10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Going to the OTE sounds like a bad idea. Don't want to play college ball so you go back to playing against high schoolers? Overseas or G-League would be my choice. Yeah he'd get destroyed, but at least there are legit coaches.

I don't think he's a 2023 first rounder rn, but I think there's still a chance he's an effective pro player. The hype and playing for his dad and Penny did him no favors.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

He needs to get out of Memphis asap. Penny and that program were the worst thing for him. Never should have de-committed from Michigan St and Tom Izzo. The good thing for him was this year was a free year for him to get his feet wet being that he's still should be a hs senior right now. He wasn't draft eligible anyway and he has a ton of time to rebuild his value

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kelvin Sampson would turn him into a lotto pick

BossHogg713 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sampson never had any real interest in Bates. Bates wouldn't survive his culture and locker room

cheke64, Nook and Fulgore like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His dad has almost ruined him

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

Speak more on that if you wouldn't mind. I've often heard this mentioned with Emoni, and was always unsure what was going on.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Have to take it with a grain of salt but a good buddy of mine runs a team in the AAU circuit in Michigan. Emoni dad pushed him to skip senior year and all of the press on him to get notoriety for his own select team. Claimed that if you trained with him you could be like Emoni.
    Never thinking about what was best for his son, fundamentals and the school that would train him for the next level. Just how much exposure for his own club.

Nook and i3artow i3aller like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

To add to what I posted above. He recruited a lot of talent with those tactics. They’re now leaving

i3artow i3aller and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah. He should still be in high school and at 17 his body is still developing. He was always over hyped as a generational talent like some said, he doesn't have the physical tools for that - but he does have the tools and upside of being an all star possibly and a lottery pick. He is now underrated after being overrated.

I don't know how much money he got for going to Memphis but it wasn't enough. I am not sure why any of these kids are going to play for Hardaway. There is zero evidence that he is developing any of these kids, they have all been relative failures.

He is better off going pro over seas and enter the draft in 23-24. His father is not a good influence over his decision. He should have finished high school or at least enroll at a program that has a history of player development.

My understanding is that the issue with Sampson and Bates was over the level of influence his father had and not Bates work ethic. He is not physically filled out but I have been told he works hard and is tough, he just defers to his over bearing father.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

As far as Bates and Sampson, there wasn't much of an issue. The lack of real interest just stems from Sampson not believing he is a fit with his program. Nothing personal or anything. That's just the way he felt. Sampson sticks what he believes and it doesn't change. He looks for dogs who aren't afraid to get messy. Any sense of doubt outside of that would never survive his program, no matter how "talented" said player is

cmoak1982 and Nook like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I respect he has a type but not many "dogs" just out of HS and it would seem he could develop that in some kids.

Not saying this goes for Bates but I have to believe it's more than that.