1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emoni Bates

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by xaos, Feb 14, 2021.

?

How good will Emoni Bates be?

1. Bust

22.0%
  2. Rotational player

30.8%
  3. All star

24.2%
  4. Superstar

16.5%
  5. Face of the NBA

6.6%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

6’9 with a 6’7 wingspan? LOL

that vert is on Ryan Anderson status too

sheesh

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I was a little surprised too, but we do have to keep in mind he's still only 17 and he's playing in college a year early since he re classed. So he'll be playing the next two years somewhere before actually being eligible for the NBA. obviously we know this year will be Memphis.

on another note, his teammate Jalen Duren :eek:

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I honestly can’t think of worse measurables for a prospect of his height who has received so much hype, I was shocked

the jumper and offensive skill is on point, but damn

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Ok the wingspan and vert temper my "next big thing" takes a biiiit. Still think he'll be amazing though because of all the skill but damn it's like he hasn't grown at all in 2 years.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’s stagnated

from the next KD to negative wingspan

6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Negative wingspan, smallish hands, weak vert.. He has the same measurements as Collin Sexton, except Sexton is 6'2.

Definitely puts a damper on "the next KD", but if the skill is legit he'll still be effective.

Looking forward to Memphis running him at point. At PG, those measurements and his height are still kinda freaky. If he develops lead guard skills, could be super interesting. Might be like 2k where negative wingspan = better ball handling lol.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i still like him a ton as a prospect though despite some of these measurements. Who knows in the next 2 years he could have another spurt haha

Reeko likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Memphis isn't going to run Bates at the 1. Alex Lomax is the favorite to be their starter there. Slight possibility that transfer Tyler harris takes it but Lomax has a ton of experience under Penny and is much more of a facilitator to complement Bates/Duran/Williams

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He is not worth to TANK THE SEASON for him. I like Sengun!!

10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah I was just going off these articles and internet chatter.
    Tigers Basketball Insider: Is Emoni Bates the solution to Memphis’ point guard question?
    What to expect from Emoni Bates running point at Memphis

If he does see time at the 1, its more likely in some shared ball handler capacity instead of a floor general

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

KD couldn't bench 185. We need to see how he does in college.

12. i3artow i3aller

He's not even draft eligible this season.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Give the kid some time to get some physical development.
    The negative wingspan is a concern. And the lack of explosiveness is a concern. But he can develop.
    I thought it was apparent he wasn’t “elite” athletically. Just tall.
    Chet and Paolo are better overall athletes, but they’re older. Give it some time.

xaos and YOLO like this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. i3artow i3aller

Sounds like he's hoping for the 2022 draft.

'The Coach Has No Power Anymore'
    That’s according to Penny Hardaway, who—with his star recruits, Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren—doesn’t mind one bit.

#75 i3artow i3aller, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Hell to the no, negative wingspan???
    Anyone comparable in the NBA?
    I mean dude can ball. He doesn't look like he has short arms relative to his height and he has a quick jump?
    Wierd

#76 palmsnbananas, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Watched the Memphis game yesterday. Emoni Bates at 17 years old is what we hope Jalen Green will be in 2 years. Same type explosion, better outside shooter, much stronger and the frame to get even stronger. At 6’ 9
    With great wingspan is already formative on defense. If you get a chance watch some Memphis basketball this season. Unfortunately, Bates is not available in the 22 draft, because he definitely looks like a generational talent to me, much more than Banchero and Holmgren (unless somehow Holmgren can put on about 50 lbs of muscle.

Another one to watch for next year is Jalen Duren who is a Dwight Howard clone body wise. He is the dominant big man that the Rockets need. If we are in position to grab him we should, even if we need to trade Wood and picks to move up to get him.

Memphis will probably fail to win it all this year, because of turnovers and I really don’t think Penny is a good bench coach (sound familiar), but they are super fun to watch and have 2 possible targets for the Rockets.

Jontro likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that Emoni has a negative wingspan and average athleticism right?

His skills are elite for a 17 yr old. But outside of height, the physical attributes are average.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I didn’t see average athleticism his wingspan looked good to me, but I guess I’m wrong on that. Keep watching. He will be the no. 1 pick in 2023 unless he gets hurt or doesn’t have the mental fortitude after being taken away from his father’s obsession.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And that’s not even a knock imo. Alp is a league average athlete. Probably similar to Emoni in vertical. But they’re both coordinated and fluid. Dexterity is underrated in athleticism.

hakeem94 and i3artow i3aller like this.