1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Emoni Bates

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by xaos, Feb 14, 2021.

?

How good will Emoni Bates be?

1. Bust

22.0%
  2. Rotational player

30.8%
  3. All star

24.2%
  4. Superstar

16.5%
  5. Face of the NBA

6.6%
  1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Sounds like some of y’all are saying Holmgreen is another version of Jokic.

2. DonatelloLimestone

thats impressive, with his height and wingspan he is an immediate rim protector shot deterrent, there are a few of those. With his shot then I would say his floor goes to Mamba and Thon Maker. None of those guys have shown fluidity ,court awareness, creative abilities, and aggression throughout the game like Holmgrem after seeing some highlights. The fact that he puts together all those in game situations at his age shows he maybe soething entirely new. With a year in development hitting the nba weights( would've loved to see him the gleague elite system), but gonzaga is solid and will have him develop different parts of the offense as well as deal with the congested paint of a zone in college, basically just a lot more awareness, problem solving and hoops iq as well as working on his body.

I'm salivating at the best case scenerio of a Cade/Green this year and pair that with holmgren, KPJ, Wood, tate...that is a five who can really move the ball and be an entire matchup problem.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

perhaps an even more athletic version is they key. Jokic had the benefit of a coach who saw how special he was despite being overweight and a 2nd rounder and handing him the PG duties. It will take rope and trust, but seeing how silas has played even just kelly seems like he is the type to try to put his talent in positions that they are good at.

4. xaos

xaos Member

Ok, now I can see what @Nook is talking about. Chet has insane potential. I guess I got tired of skinny dudes with a soft touch being overhyped. Chet hype is legit

2021-2023 draft is oozing with potential stars. It's a good time to be rebuilding

Rudyc281 and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I don’t prefer rail thin players in the post either. The first time I heard of him, he was in 8th grade and I didn’t dismiss him but I looked at his frame and rolled my eyes.

However, the game has changed and the athleticism, speed and skills of Chet are too good to overlook. His skill aptitude is especially impressive to me, he is improving and learning skills on par with top guards. He is bringing the ball up quickly and confidently, he is passing all over the court.. he is pulling up for jumpers with confidence.. he is even beating some guards off the dribble…. He isn’t James Harden one on one, but he is genuinely running the offense well in transition… his ball handling and ability to create reminds me of Scottie Pippen… that is to say, he may not start the game as a point guard but at some point he is the one initiating the offense…. As far as shooting, supposedly Chet is up to a 90% free throw shooter right now and that really bodes well for his long term ability to shoot from the outside.

He isn’t as creative a passer as Jokic or even as skilled a passer (who is?) but he is able to go rim to rim with the ball in transition, and can put the ball on the floor and create and pass… something Jokic cannot do because of his lack of athleticism.

Chet (if he stays healthy - a major if) is like a mixture of Ralph Sampson, Bill Walton and DeMarcus Cousins.

6. xaos

xaos Member

Do you see Chet as a better prospect than Paolo?

I never watch college or high school prospects.

I used to work at a gym where John Lucas and others would develop high school kids, NBA prospects, and NBA players so I never had to look too far (online) for talent... and with Rockets in a rebuild mode I've been finding myself looking at Youtube videos a lot, which is cool... but very dangerous trying to judge a player by... was much easier seeing it in person

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Chet is the best amateur prospect in the world right now, over Paolo and others. I personally prefer Adrian Griffin’s son over Paolo.

Things can change, Chet could get hurt next year at Gonzaga and with his size slip a bit like Embiid did. It is also possible (but unlikely) that Chet struggles against bigger players in college. Still, right now, from a skill and talent stand point, Chet is the top amateur prospect in the world.

I have also seen Chet in person play and was 20 feet from him. He is narrow and very thin, but he is also very long and surprisingly fast up and down the court and a quick athlete. He also is someone that is a big talker, he is constantly going back and forth at his teammates and opponents and has a mean streak. He seems to enjoy humiliating his opponents.. similar to Larry Bird or Garnett in that way.. a bit of a bully.

Trackwell, awc713, saleem and 6 others like this.
  8. H.D.

H.D. Member

Banchero would go thru Holmgren every possession. Man among boys ...

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Probably, but good luck finishing.

Holmgren is now 7'1" and measured out with a 7'6" wingspan entering his senior year of high school..... he also appears to still be growing as he added two inches to his height over the last season and nearly three inches to his wingspan. He also has exceptional shot blocking instincts and skills.

10. H.D.

H.D. Member

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be fine with Banchero or Holmgren lol.
    Both seem to be potentially elite. Chet probably higher ceiling and Paolo higher floor.

HTXSportsAddict, saleem and H.D. like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Holmgren is 19 year old playing against kids a year younger than him. Both Kuminga and Sengun are younger than him and they are in the draft this year.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

thats the trend and it pisses me off.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

If Holmgren is the number 1 pick I'll eat a shoe.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Holmgren is better than Bates, Banchero is probably better than Holmgren

Milos likes this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bookmarked, will revisit in 11 months and some odd days.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How good of a tank job would it require.......

19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I want to Chet over all of them

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would take any of the 3 honestly.

Trackwell likes this.