1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emmitt Smith expected to be cut

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROCKSS, Feb 27, 2003.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The Dallas Cowboys are expected to make an announcement today about the status of Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher and a former Super Bowl MVP.

Smith

Club sources anticipate the Cowboys will release Smith, a three-time Super Bowl winner and the most accomplished player in franchise history.

The NFL's free agency period begins on Friday and Smith has consistently stated his desire to play at least another two seasons and to finish his career as a starter.

Jones spent Wednesday with Smith attending several functions in south Texas, which afforded them the opportunity to continue discussions that began last week with a 3½-hour meeting in Jones' home. It is believed that Jones attempted to pursuade Smith -- who will be 34 in May -- to consider retirement. Smith was the most notable absentee as coach Bill Parcells met with the entire squad at Valley Ranch on Wednesday, a further indication that he does not figure into the new coach's plans.

Jones and Smith were scheduled to return to Dallas late Wednesday evening. Neither was available for comment.

While Parcells has spoken publicly of his desire to retain offensive tackle Flozell Adams and Jones has mentioned that Quincy Carter has a future with the Cowboys, neither has mentioned that Smith might have a place with the franchise that made him a first-round pick in 1990.

While Smith broke Walter Payton's career rushing record last season at Texas Stadium, it was one of the few high points during a season in which he failed to gain 1,000 yards rushing for only the second time in his career.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Fox Sports

I can not stand Jerry Jones. I know many of you here hate Emmit and the Cowboys, but I think the real problem in this organzation are because of him. I think that him and the Tuna are going to to really have it out at least a few times once the season gets going, and Jerry will get rid of Tuna soon as well. I hope the Cowboys do well this upcoming year, but I also hope that if Emmit moves to another team, that team destroys the **** out of the Cowboys and I hope that Emmit says that it IS personal.

:mad:

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This sucks. I wish we would have kept him. I still think he is a good rusher. How could anyone rush well with that sorry ass offensive line we had last season? He almost broke 1,000 yards, too.

I heard they were asking Emmitt to cut his salary down to the minimum and be a back-up. That is pretty f-ing unfair. I think most Cowboys fans would have opted to keep Emmitt and have him retire a Cowboy. But, I'm sure Jones really gives a rat's ass what Cowboy fans think.

We will see who has a better season...Hambrick or Smith. I don't expect this to work in the Cowboy's favor. Maybe attendance will go down now? I hope it backfires all to hell.

I have the same feeling I had when the Astros let Nolan Ryan go and it's not a very good feeling.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member