1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Buck Turgidson, Jun 11, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

NZ and BC, obviously world-class in the major cities, Latin America, different story, you'd likely find your self wanting to come back to the US if you fell really ill, but for checkups and small things it's great most have universal free healthcare.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pretty much every highly developed country and even many undeveloped countries have the same exact standards of restrictions.

If you want to immigrate to a really nice country, they want you to be highly skilled, young, and making good money, they want you to benefit the countries economy and not be a drain on the welfare systems.

https://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/assets/uploads/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

That's their list of jobs that will make you eligible for residency, after 2 years of work, making at least 29k.

jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have always wanted to travel and teach abroad.

What is the best country to teach as an american where you can afford a comfortable life?

By comfortable I mean a decent space to live as a single man and the ability to have some disposable income for travel and creature comforts.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Do you have an education degree?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No but I am certified in 2 different subjects.

I have a business degree but got alt certified in special ed and history.

#45 jiggyfly, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Like Johnny Cash... I’ve been everywhere man.

If you are talking about MOVING, then there is no way in hell I am going anywhere south of the US border. I have had fun in many places in Central and South America but it is dangerous and unpredictable.

For me that also eliminates most of Eastern Europe for the same reasons.

The top places for me are:

1. New Zealand (this is probably the best place in the world to live if the USA is too dangerous/loud)
    2. Northern Ireland. I own a home here and would flee here if I had to leave the USA. The people are nice, family oriented and kind. The shock of moving to NI would be minimal too.
    3. England. See above but the people are not as nice.
    4. Finland/Sweden/Norway. Not as ideal as everyone thinks, weather sucks but overall a very well ran area of the world.
    5. Germany. A really good place for someone young to move.
    6. Australia. Imagine if Texas was an island without guns.

For the most part that is it for me... I should add Scotland to the list... France if you are quite wealthy.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

If price is not an option and you want to stay in North American. Vancouver island is beautiful. It has a beautiful artist community there. I travelled there it is peaceful and tranquil. Way better option than Vancouver.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You'd have to look into the requirements for those individual subjects for each individual country, but I'd imagine most countries want a BA to teach in any accredited schools.

Check out Spain

https://www.expatica.com/es/working/finding-a-job/teach-english-in-spain-716889/?utm_source=301&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=2020-04-01#:~:text=The main requirements to teach,Languages) are the main certificates.

The community of Madrid (similar to the population and size of the greater Houston area) has the highest life expectancy in the world out of any (region/county/state/prefecture/country etc) that has at least 100k+ people, which to me is a credit to the quality of life in Spain for the working class, it seems to be as good as it gets anywhere on this earth for the body and spirit.

The median income is under 30k USD, so if you can land a decent paying job you can live pretty comfortably, you don't have to be upper class to enjoy life the same way you would have to be in most major global cities.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My niece is teaching UAE. The pay is good, and they also pay for her room and board. She only spends minimal time in the United States now, so she doesn't pay any taxes here or there. Sometimes that is a slight pain as far as she can only visit the US for certain times a year. But she's saving pretty good money, has very cheap travel options and has been to several countries in Africa, Europe, Central America, Australia, and still visits family here in the US several times a year. There are some differences that aren't particularly to her likeing such as alcohol restrictions and having to praise the emirates all the time.

I've heard good things about teaching in Thailand and Korea, but don't know anyone that has done it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude thanks, I have been interested in Spain and it's a good jump off spot to travel europe.

I will definitely be working toward getting my ESL certificate.

Need to find out how much they pay.

Been watching way to much House hunters international.:D

Will probably PM you to pick your brain in the future.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

in Asian cultural, as compared to Americans, education is valued more. as such there teachers are respected, and earn higher salary.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I heard the UAE was good and had a principal go over there but I lost touch.

I like my recreational activities that are frowned on over there so it's been a deterrent.

How are her lodgings?

13. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

If it weren't for the war on drugs, I would move to guanajuato, mex

Outside of that, I haven't traveled enough to have a spot in mind. Spain and NZ are intriguing.

Food is pretty important to me. What is kiwi cuisine like?

Buck Turgidson and IBTL like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They are good now. I think the first year she was more removed from the city and they weren't as great. What is interesting is that many of the top sheiks and emirates will have mansions but also super lavish tents that are like man-caves where they spend most of their time. The bedoin lifetyle stil is prevalent even if it is sitting on the land next to their mansions.

She can still drink but only in hotels. So even citizens and others that travel there visit the hotels for that type of fun. It limits the choices, but she seems okay with it. I don't know. I haven't been. My brother and the rest of his family have, and they've enjoyed it.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

Like British food made from fresher ingredients?

Not Spanish, I would say. I have some buddies seriously considering Spain.

16. Buck Turgidson

Quit stalking me.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

man this sounds neat. Its almost like you want to be guy that moves there AFTER all that stuff is done.

All the good places are still unknown thats what makes them good.

Nicaragua would be one that scares me when a military coup happens or the drug dealers want to squat while you are gone in usa. What was the amount they were asking? Do they have people moved in yet and rentals?
    You can do hawaii for as low as 3k a month.

this is one that on paper sounds pretty good but after about a month I would want to stab myself in the eye. In nicaragua on beach you are on beach in a little village in tuscany you might go to beach once in a while so that network of people there better be good. Italy is like is definitely a great to visit not live.

I was looking at apartments and you can get on river 15 mins from city center short metro ride in and its not crazy like same 3k. Paris outskirts has really nice bits and you get the city too its all close. You gotta do this. Paris is the one place that just gets better and better

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not really much of drinker anymore but there are other things I like but I can abstain for awhile if the perks are worth it.

I really need to start doing my research and planning instead of just thinking about it.

IBTL likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Lamb. Beef. Fish. Seafood. Vegetables.

Ubiquitin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There are some places in Nicaragua that were already done. There were some that were partially done, and some that were just property with nothing done. The ones that were just land also varied with land slightly removed from the beach being cheaper. I wanted right on the beach, It was less than 75K for a land that was right on the pacific side. It would require some leveling to build a house, I can't remember if that needed road building or how much road building. Also, power and water would cost as well. Some of them said they needed to wait for a certain amount of parcels to sell before bringing out power or something. This was about 5 years ago. I will also say that my friend from there mentioned that he could find places cheaper. After contractors and the cost of building a house in addition to all of the other services, it ended up being 300K for a house as large as I wanted plus a significant time. I think there were other options and things that I could have scratched off my dream list and ended up with a lot less cost. I think the idea was that Costa Rica had really boomed recently and that perhaps Nicaragua would boom soon as well. I don't remember how much land it was, but it was definitely large. It could fit a house, with sizeable yard.

IBTL likes this.