1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Embiid supports Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 11, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've not seen a single advanced stat that accounts for all confounding factors. Incredibly stupid to ONLY rely on analytics. The NBA teams generate billions of dollars of revenue The people running these organizations would drop all forms of scouting departments and just replace them with computer science and mathematics majors only.

GMs and players should get a vote imo and they can't vote for themselves or a player on their team.

harold bingo and saleem like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

No it's a Gobert problem. And no it's not everyone elses fault. Gobert has a glaring weakenss and that's what gets exposed.

whatever team he goes to next, well see the exact same thing. assuming he gets moved

ElPigto likes this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think it can keep the current media component and also include coaches/players. After that, the scores should be weighted on some percentages that NBPA and NBA agree too since it does affect their performance based raises (super max).

4. MystikArkitect

He said it best.

"Whatever fits the narrative."

Thats why Jim only has one MVP.

tinman likes this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Don’t bother, people hate rudy. I hate the jazz but I can’t ignore reality in favor of narratives

glimmertwins likes this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

or they can give the fans the vote. cf for example, @hakeem94 and i would be unbiased in our votes

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The problem with all their mental gymnastics is that as long as Jokic is healthy, he will probably exceed those historic number next year and have a better record and seed. Will they have the guts to give to Jokic for 3 consecutive seasons? Or will they chicken out and start using a different narrative and set of metrics to not have Jokic No 1?

I do get how that seems like a weird reason to not vote him the MVP this year, but I think you if you are going to claim as a writer that you have a more holistic and "seeing the forest from trees" viewpoint, you have to take everything in context including historical narrative.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I kind of think you are both correct.

On defense, Gobert can be "attacked" somewhat with a switching defense, but he isn't as poor on that switch has it has been made out to be. Sure he has issues with like elite-version Harden and Luka, but those level players stress every defender and system. The issue on defense is literally their system requires him to be in the paint, and that doesn't work when he has to cover a 3 pt shooter because is just not athletic enough to make up the space in time to cover both spots.

But there is a major Gobert problem on offense. He is way too one dimensional on that side of the court as basically only a roll guy or offensive rebounder. So he becomes a liability that either clogs the lane or doesn't require the defender to respect him on the 3pt line. He has to develop a 3pt shot. Or he has to be on a team with multiple guys who are elite at entry passes and are always looking to punish team who front him or when he gets positioning which he should spend like 15 seconds doing every possession just switching sides and using some back picks to free him up or create a mismatch. I just don't think he will develop that shot at this point in his career, and most players are no longer taught to prioritize the entry post pass for him to find such a team.

Jontro and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

F##k that clown Bill Simmons.

DeBeards, Jontro and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Under-rated comment.

We can still dunk on the Jazz though. Their GM gambled and lost. As time went on, they slowly (and intentionally) swapped out more defensive players in favor of offensive guards/wings... to see if their playoff chances got better. They even started to copy our blueprint (MDA's) shooting so many 3's.

Cutting corners on defense, that's tech debt owed during the playoffs. Rudy is still good on D, but not that good to cover everyone else or against the pick your poison strategy. Too many defensive holes on that ship. Jazz's issue is that their GM realize this much too late (or realized it, but not resourceful enough to get better two-way guys). The nice regular season record masked too much, they didn't / couldn't see what other playoff teams already saw of the Jazz.

Now they're at a point where, people are talking about their two stars being disgruntled, and teams like Lakers just openly lobby for their head coach. Jazz might be on a long dark road of being very bad.

#51 TimDuncanDonaut, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
    DeBeards likes this.
  12. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

daryl morey has "no real basketball experience" and 80% of the teams in the association would kill to have him be their gm.

like anything else, there's a good and a bad way to do things. people who may not have played may have skill sets that, if used properly, contribute a lot. it's fun to paint with a broad brush but it's one knucklehead thing to say - it doesn't give you information or insight about everyone who doesn't have basketball experience.

harold bingo likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your point about Morey is valid. Bill Simmons seems like a Rockets hater to me. People with bias against individuals including agents who clearly work for certain basketball teams should be kept out of the process.

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

I can agree with this. Pinpointing who should be on the panel should be set during the CBA where players and owners vote who's on it between say 200 or so participants based on some agreed upon criteria. I would say if Simmons has a vote (along with rest of the media) their votes should only count a certain percentage and most likely a lighter percentage to those who have actually played.

Coaches / Players former or current (70% weight)
    Media (30%)

#54 Rokman, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think what meant is may he get struck by a train and his car explodes leaving on traces of him behind

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

Not sure if that's really a fair statement. A lot of those guys pay close attention as the game is still a center of their life. I would trust their opinion as I think they would have a closer insight as to what it takes to be at the top of the game and the nuance of offensive and defensive sets and how they are accomplished and who makes them work and who doesn't.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There is also very little connection between working for ESPN, et al. and evaluating basketball.

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I happen to be a railroad conductor and I approve this message.

DeBeards, clutchdabear and Jontro like this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Who should vote then? GM’s?

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

yes, because like gm's have experience with player valuations, as evident by mauri and khaaaan(!!)