1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Email from Iraq (from my friend)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by reggietodd, Dec 14, 2005.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

...only when its anecdotal evidence that does not support YOUR point of view.

2. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I have permission. His name is Mason Brand and here is his website:

http://www.masonbrand.com/

Check out the videos he made, some good Iraq pics/footage are in there.

3. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Dude you just found some random soldiers website with an A&M flag. How can we really believe you? :rolleyes:

4. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

We demand enlistment papers, DNA testing, a genealogy tree, and six forms of photo ID.

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope you are not serious.

People in here trying desperately to debunk this letter are disgraceful.

6. reggietodd

I think hes being sarcastic.... poking fun at those who always want so much proof and try to debunk anything or anyone who has a different opinion than their agenda.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

He's being sarcastic, and yes, Azadre's behavior has been disgraceful in this thread. He's not very grateful of the efforts of the troops that are risking everything in Iraq to protect our country.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I don't see it. I see more death and destruction.

9. langal

langal Contributing Member

It is possible to respect this soldier's beliefs and still disagree with the war.

10. reggietodd

Yeah, thats why I went ahead and posted this in the D&D area. Like I said I try to stay out of politics, but threads like this one seem to bring out the worst in the extreme left. Their true colors seem to show with things like this that should be viewed as a positive whether you support the war or not. We should all support our troops.

11. reggietodd

absolutely.

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Very well, if you see more death and destruction caused by another, shouldn't a soldier take pride in rectifying the situation?

13. MR. MEOWGI

I dont think they are.

14. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

You don't think the soldier is proud of his actions?

15. MR. MEOWGI

A lot of soldiers suffer from deep remorse.

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Well, I didn't say a 'powerful narrative,' I said the power of the narrative. All narratives can be powerful. The narrative as a rhetorical tool of persuasion is a myopic view of the event. The narrative is not only related to critical thinking, it is essential to it. Certainly there are schools of thought that have traditionally trivialized the narrative. You can (some think) take a poll - count a row - crunch a number, and get the 'right' answer. That may be true in 'hard' science (although even that is in dispute) but humanities are not a hard science. Narrative as critical thought is cutting across disciplines. Narrative enquiry taps into the tacit knowledge embedded in experience. It also serves as a springboard for dialogue about the deeper issues of a discipline that may not be easily illuminated through other methods. Because narratives rely strongly on communication and relationships, they can facilitate connections between people and create a sense of 'shared history'. Thus the environmental context for learning about something becomes one that supports the strengthening of collaboration (paraphrased from Lindsmith, Journal of Continuing Education, vol 25, 1994). You separate the narrative from critical thought. But how then, do you conclude anything about Iraq at all? What information do you get that gives you more insight than the narrative: bodycount? dollars spent? Do you think those give you a 'realistic' view of what is happening in Iraq? Or do you just choose one narrative over another - say a the newspapermans over a soldiers. One who thinks the narrative isn't essential to critical thinking - is not thinking critically but repeating some secondhand hogwash.

17. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Is this soldier suffering from deep remorse?

18. MR. MEOWGI

I don't know.

19. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Then how do you assume without justification that the soldier is not proud of his actions?

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course I would ask the source to be divulged. What do you take me as?

Hayes, I was not discrediting the power of anecdotal evidence. This was merely a generalization that is not backed up by evidence.

TJ: I am sick of you trying to parade this war in Iraq is to protect American freedom. Simply put, it is not. This war was based on false premises, and the American people are burdening a $500,000,000,000 debt because of an Administrations decision. Debt is not protecting American freedom. This war, simply put, is about the economic intrests of the United States. But our freedom is not based on these economic intrests. We are AMERICANS, we can solve any problem we put our mind towards.

todd, tell Mason Brand to keep up the hard work. Conflict resolved.