1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon's biggest problem @ Twitter - he's not funny at tweeting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Commodore

Commodore Member

2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The side that refuses to recognize fair elections, defend seditionists, endorses a candidate for president that has been indicted by 4 different grand juries, doesn't get to complain about the other side trying to destroy our fabric of society.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

The side that also is up in arms, in some cases literally, over prosecutors prosecuting crimes.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. adoo

adoo Member

Elon’s X Is Worth
    Less Than
    Half of The Price He Paid for Twitter a year ago

Fortune earlier reported on the valuation, citing an internal memo.

The company has struggled financially under Musk’s ownership.

elon’s plan for X is to shift away from advertising toward paid subscriptions.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Elon Musk has lost his mind. Seriously, he has, and not because he appears to have forgotten the name of the main character in Blade Runner. The man seems to have decided to destroy Twitter by throwing away what made Twitter an attractive internet tool used by millions, and replacing those things with a bizarre jumbled up far-right extremist toy. Even changing it's name, a name with it's own intrinsic value doubtless worth tens of millions of dollars in brand recognition, if not more. An act of madness, in my opinion.

Musk's "Twitter" (now "X") as his personal "toy" has not only lost more than half the value it possessed when he paid the enormous sum of $44 billion dollars for it, but a toy for Musk that he continues to make ever more unattractive. I could post a long list of the changes to Twitter that Musk has made that most users (more accurately, former users) are likely familiar with, but I won't.

I'll only mention one, a personal opinion. Not only is Musk driving people away from Twitter, but his rightwing extremism is having a negative impact on those considering purchasing a Tesla. I've been considering getting an EV, but Hell will freeze over before I'll add to the bank account of Elon Musk by purchasing a Tesla. No thank you.

.............................................................[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BelgianRocketsFan and ROCKSS like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I grok you, you spotted feline. Well, at least in this case.

It's a term invented by the famous science fiction author Dr. Robert A. Heinlein (called "the Dean of Science Fiction" back in the day), and used in his best known and award winning novel, Stranger in a Strange Land, by the main character, Valentine Michael Smith. Soon, it was being used by lots of people all over the place. Dr. Heinlein might be better known today for the film Starship Troopers, an adaptation of his novel of the same name, and well done, in my opinion.

Published in 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land won SF's Hugo Award, the genre's highest honor. A loose translation of "grok" would be, "I understand you," but it means far more than that. Read the book to find out about the permutations. His SF, unsurprisingly, will likely seem dated in the 21st Century, but it was "cutting edge" at the time. I read it back in the early '60's and still have my hardcover.

Musk obviously decided to "borrow" Grok as the name (part of a name?) for his AI thing, or whatever it is.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I think “Gronk” might have more to do with Rob Gronkowski than it does with Heinlein.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then KC better hope he's not a big game hunter!

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not a good idea to name your AI after a guy who'se public persona is best summed up as "lovable moron".

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Im not sure if its another one of those witty inside jokes, but its Grok, not Gronk.

15. Buck Turgidson

https://www.borderreport.com/news/e...-water-into-texas-south-bay-coastal-preserve/

The waters of South Bay range from a few inches to just algae-strewn muddy flats, depending if rain falls on this remote section of South Texas just miles from the Mexico border.

Several endangered species of birds and sea turtles call South Bay home, a protected estuary located at the tip of the Lugana Madre overlooking South Padre Island.

It’s a hyper-saline system, one of the few such bays in the world, and was named the state’s first coastal preserve nearly 40 years ago.

But engineers and rocket scientists and a growing number of others from SpaceX now also call this area home. And as SpaceX’s Starbase South Texas launch facility continues to grow, so do its needs.

That’s why SpaceX has asked Texas for permission to dump up to 200,000 gallons of treated waste and sewage water per day into South Bay.

According to a permit application that Space Exploration Technologies Corporation has filed with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the company plans to “reuse the reclaimed water on site as much as possible” or “utilize all treated water as reclaimed water.”

“In the unlikely event that 100% reuse cannot be accomplished, the reclaimed water will be discharged to segment #2493 – South Bay.”

Please read the whole article

Amiga and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

lol

all these guys are just going for regulatory capture, and trying to stall the other guys from competing with them

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That guy, for sure, but some of them have genuine intentions.

18. Buck Turgidson

I think SpaceX should haul all of their effluent to your neighborhood and dump in your Bay.

"regulatory capture", my ****ing ass

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think you understood what that means.

20. Buck Turgidson

I very much understand what SpaceX is trying to do (and has done) in Boca Chica.