1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ellen Page Comes Out Of The Closet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mvpcrossxover, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

don't think this is true since islam is one of the most strict regarding what you do to your body. technically you can't change anything, i.e. dye your hair, tatts, piercings (for male), etc. but i've heard of a ghey muslim organization in canadia.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Had insight on lgbtq mattters in recent months. My 2 cents. The Be Yourself reach is totally right. That they shouldnt be "othered" in civilized society. Main takeaway still, seems its creating more dilemmas than practical solutions.

And there's more dissension within lgbtq community itself than might appear. Dont want to get political, got to be tolerant and fair. Glad for Elliot what makes him happy. Just if it seems hard to "keep up", really not even lbgtq are all on board with all intivitiaves either. (For one thing, actual gender confirming surgery is still pretty intense. Can't blame concerned parents 1 bit honestly)

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still a biological female?

Gender - Whatever makes biological female happy?

tinman likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My cousin's mother in law died and during her eulogy, they talked about how she was super religious, but also accepting of her son's tattoos and piercings. She had said 'It's his temple, he can decorate it the way he wants'. I thought that was a pretty damn sublime statement from a hardcore Christian.

Not sure if that would extend to sex change surgery, but I respect religious people who accept, not judge, others.

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

yup, i think religious authorities are free to preach and teach whatever their respective books (scrolls?) say to their followers. I thought that in a way all religions teach tolerance and not to judge, rather try to help if they really think someone is doing wrong. at any rate, no religion has tried to help me with my faps. the least they could do is pay for my subscriptions.

TWS1986 and Xerobull like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No problem with this at all. If he feels that this is the right direction for his life then I'm fine with that and am glad to see that it seems like most of society is fine with it.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

When you're a celebrity life is a bit different I'd imagine. A lot of people have their eyes and ears on you, so doing something like transitioning genders without even telling anyone could be a bit awkward or have unintended consequences. For better or worse, you're a person who people look up to and you set an example, so in that way being proud about has some extended utility.

On the one hand I agree with you that I wish we lived in a world where this wasn't such a big deal, but on the other hand, I know that's kind of a foolish thought given how truly rare trans or gender-queerness is. Similarly, it's important that we treat this as a big deal because it is a big deal for the person's personal well-being.

That being said, there comes a point where this becomes glorified or fetishized, and that is not what we should be doing. Others have hinted at it, but the elephant in the room is that young people, particularly women, are viewing gender transition more flippantly and abusing it as a method to cope with stress or anxiety. As I alluded to earlier, sometimes younger homosexuals (out or not) will make the transition and regret it for the same reasons.

The vast majority of trans people don't seek attention. Attention is the last thing they want, actually. They just want to be happy and live their lives the way they see fit. More power to them. They deserve our support.

ElPigto, vinsensual, jiggyfly and 5 others like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I support equality. There was something tiresome about Ellen Page coming out. Elliot Page is right there, honestly who does this surprise?

Maybe the day where everyone's sexuality not being news is really coming.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

ill be surprised if christine hemsworth and christine evans comes out.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I completely support LGBTQ rights as individual rights. Heck as a cis hetero male if I was single, I would absolutely have no problems dating a post op trans female if they were attractive but regardless of preference we need to be accepting of people and respect differences because that makes the world special

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Bam, looked it up. 2014 BBC article about Iran:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29832690
    "The gay people pushed to change their gender"
    Interesting, right?

Jontro likes this.
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

Hello big boy!

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Exactly this. I'm sure there's lots of Page fans who are also struggling with their sexuality or identity or anything like that. So for Page to come out and announce this, it might help those struggling.

Deuce, Buck Turgidson and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The world does not need any more white males. This wont last.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

There's two sides to it.

If Page just showed up one day presenting as a male and said "hey my name is Elliot now, sup?" it could be viewed as either "wow look at how normal and unremarkable this is now!" or "Page must be ashamed and is setting a bad example!"

It's a real damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's hard to separate gender identity from the actual person. If one was an Ellen Page fan or someone who had followed her career, it seems like it would be natural for them to have mixed feelings about this. In a sense, it's like the death of one person and the birth of a new person.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So she's part of the white, male patriarchy now, correct?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

Good for him. If it is what makes him happy I see no problem with it. I wonder who they are going to get to replace the role on The Umbrella Academy?

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

justin bieber probably

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I just hope hes chivalrous as to not bring that segment down.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.