1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elite teams in the Southwest??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JasonDurbin32, Jul 14, 2004.

1. JasonDurbin32

JasonDurbin32 Member

Who are the top elite teams as far as right now in the Southwest division?? I definitly think the Rox have a real legitamte shot at taking the division...
    Key Changes:

Dallas: Lose Steve Nash and add Jerry Stackhouse. They are the only team that has "upgraded" anything close to us.They are in talks about getting Vince Carter in that 4 team deal but other than that they seem to be done as far as getting big time players because Shaq is pretty much already a done deal with the Heat.

PG: Devin Harris/Marquis Daniels/Tony Delk
    SG: Michael Finley/Josh Howard
    SF: Jerry Stackhouse/ Eduardo Najera
    PF:Antoine Walker/Danny Fortson
    C: Dirk Nowitzki/Shawn Bradley
    **Pursuing Vince Carter, Shaquille O'Neal.

Memphis: Add Jake Tsakalidis, other than that they are basically the same team as last year.

PG: Jason Williams/Earl Watson/Troy Bell
    SG: Mike Miller/Bonzi Wells
    SF: James Posey/Shane Battier
    PF: Pau Gasol/Bo Outlaw
    C: Lorenzen Wright/Stromile Swift/Jake Tsakalidis

San Antonio: Well they were in discussions about getting Kobe Bryant and Shaq and all them but the didnt do anything except resign Manu Ginobili, but however they are also going to add Brent Barry They also lost some a couple players to the bench like Hedo Turkuglu

PG: Tony Parker
    SG: Manu Ginoboli/Devin Brown
    SF: Bruce Bowen/
    PF: Tim Duncan/Malik Rose
    C: Rasho Nesterovic
    **Talked with Karl Malone, Kobe Bryant, Brent Barry

New Orleans: This will be their first year in the Western Conference and i think that they are going to get beat up on alot simply because the West is alot more powerhouse teams and i dont think the Hornets are ready for that yet for a whole season plus they havent done anything really to upgrade their team

PG: Baron Davis/Darrell Armstrong
    SG: David Wesley/ J.R. Smith
    SF: Jamal Mashburn/George Lynch
    PF: PJ Brown/David West
    C: Jamal Magloire

Houston: They Aqquired one of the best if not the best offensive players in the game Tracy McGrady they also added Juwan Howard Tyrone Lue and Reece Gaines. They have added the offensive talent they need to be one of the highest PPG scoring teams in the league. As for defense, McGrady isnt the best defensvly but he is willing to learn how to play defense because he wants a ring now...and defense is easier to teach than offense

PG: Tyronn Lue/Reece Gaines/ Mike Wilks
    SG: Tracy Mcgrady/Eric Piatowski
    SF: Jim Jackson/ Bostjan Nachbar/Adrian Griffin
    PF: Juwan Howard/Maurice Taylor/Clarence Weatherspoon
    C: Yao Ming
    **Rumors heard about the Rox going after a real decent PG such as Snow, Daniels, or hopefully Derek Fisher.
    **IMO i think that if the Rox sign Fisher, you might as well give the title to us now cause it is over.

2. sadcat

sadcat Member

err....New Orleans is not an Elite team anymore... Suns and maybe Jazz is...

3. sadcat

sadcat Member

ANd what about Lakers and Queens?

They are still good teams...

4. JasonDurbin32

JasonDurbin32 Member

they arent in our divison anymore though i just posted the teams that were in our divison and i just want to know who thinks what teams are elite and have the best chances on winning the division

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He listed all the teams in our new division, Sadcat. Neither the Lakers nor the Kings are in our division.

6. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

our division is going to be ranked IMO:
    San Antonio
    Houston
    Dallas
    Memphis
    New Orleans

7. sadcat

sadcat Member

oops.. he didn't say Division, so i miss-read it..
    sorry

8. JasonDurbin32

JasonDurbin32 Member

same here ill just swap san antonio with dallas....but i really think houston has a shot at taking it

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What's so great about the Suns. This basicly the same team that had a losing record last year except you replace Starbury with Nash. They still have nobody in the middle and no one on the team has any defensive talent what so ever.

10. sadcat

sadcat Member

no, suns is going to be great next season.
    unless Amare Stoudemire start doing drugs..

11. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Do division races even matter? I can't remember - are the two division winners guaranteed number 1 and 2 seeds? Anyways, I can't see the Rox beating SA for the division title.

12. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

The division winners are ranked #1-3 automatically, regardless of record. It's just like the old format, except now there are 3 divisions instead of 2. Division winners matter!

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

hmmm.. Elite team in the Southwest is a lil too small since there is only a few teams.

However, if we look at the West.

I think this is how we will be ranked next season.

1. San Antonio - Haven't made that many changes which I think is good for their chemistry.
    2. Minnesota - SamIam had an awesome season I dont think he can duplicate that. I still think they are an elite team but they wont come out on top.. (standings)
    3. Kings - I think they are actually better with Brad Miller starting at center than Vlade. Cwebber finshed the season strong, and Peja is becoming a top ten player. People are stupid if they think this team is weaker. (maybe not as deep but still very solid)
    4. Houston - Adding Tmac and a few more pieces (good fits) will catapult us to the top. (ok maybe im a lil biased) but so far have made some solid moves..
    5. Dallas - team has just too much talent not to be in the top five.. but losing Nash is going to be killer for them. SNash was the leader and helped keep all those ego's together. But I think they have too many SF/SG types...
    6. Grizzlies - Havent made any big changes and unless they do they will be stuck around this spot for a long time. Very deep and talented team but losing Hubie will hurt them.
    7. Phoenix - Made some nice moves and I see them back in the playoffs. SNash will help keep all the egos in check but I dont see them advancing with such a small team.
    8. Utah - I cant believe Utah's rebuilding period was so short but sometimes the right pieces just happen to be available when you need them. This seems to be the case now.. when they couldnt overpay for a FA last year they pulled in 2 good ones this year.

J

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The only way the Suns can be a good team next year is if Kobe signs with the Clippers and Q Rich falls in the Suns lap ... that is what they are waiting for.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

1 - It's the first day of offseason movement. It's fair to say that it's way too early to be ranking teams. Dallas is almost certainly not done.

Division races will be huge starting this year. Say our division produces the top two records in the conference (like Spurs/Wolves last year). Because the top 3 seeds are division winners, you could have the 2nd best record in the conference (or league) and find yourself as the 4th seed. It could produce a 2nd round match up of the two favorites to win the title!

Say it ends:
    SAS 60-22
    HOU 58-24
    UTA 53-29
    DAL 52-30
    MEM 51-31
    NO 40-42

and Minnesota wins the Northwest, and the Lakers win the Pacific. We would have 50-game winners w/o homecourt advantage! How ferocious is that going to be? April will matter.

Evan

16. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Lakers will win with who? The Kobe Show? ummm.. I dont think so. It looks like this Lakers team with or without Kobe will be bottom dwellers and Kobe will find out how hard it is too win alone.

J

17. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I think it will be very close between #1-4 in the SW division. I love T-Mac & Yao, but we still need to prove that we can win as a team, especially after a radical summer makeover. At this point, I'd have to rank:
    1) San Antonio - They always seem to win without getting much attention. TP & manu should continue to improve & BB is a nice pick-up.
    2) Dallas - Even though they lost a siginificant piece in Nash, Daniels looks like he's ready to step up. Stackhouse & jamison are a wash. They still have the same offensive firepower and lack of D that should get them plenty of wins in the regular season but an early playoff exit.
    3) Memphis - They kicked our butts last year in the standings, and there;'s no reason to believe they won't be better this year. Deepest team in the league will continue to cause fits for us & others.
    4) Houston - It's gonna take a while for everyone to mesh together, and that probably means some frustrating early-season woes. T-Mac + Yao are definetely the future, but I think we're a year away from contending.
    5) New Orleans - Welcome to the Wild, Wild West boys. You are about to see your run of playoff appearances come to an end.

18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The thing that is so funny is that I am listening to sports radio in LA and many of them(including the broadcasters) are saying that the Lakers are going to be fine and that they should still get AT LEAST the 3 seed in the West since Odom will be as good as Pippen and Kobe as good as Jordan.

Man they must have plastic brains there too.

19. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

you cant discount the lakers....kobe and odom and not to mention RUDY T...gets you into the playoffs. If kobe goes to jail then things change.

20. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I've actually come across some threads on another board where Laker fans say L.A. is better off WITHOUT Shaquille O'Neal. :eek: :confused: