1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election Day 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 8, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In other election news:

Looks like Boulder, CO will be the 2nd city in the nation to pass a Sugary Drink Tax Bill.

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Please stop spreading photoshopped photos. Thanks

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The truth is that nobody knows what kind of President Trump will be. He has lied more than any other candidate in modern politics, he hasn't been able to really outline any of his plans, and he's gone back and forth on issues all over the place. It's possible that he'll be totally different than the candidate in his policy positions. The only thing we have to worry about would be his temperament.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Thats why if Bernie ran I'm sure he would have won.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I don't believe that's a real quote. He's had plenty of questionable sound bytes but this isn't one of them.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Edited due to being wrong.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Except this is a bogus quote. Fact check please.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/11/bogus-meme-targets-trump/

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt. With outsider sentiment winning the day, I think if the choice was between outsider Sanders and outsider Trump, outsider Sanders would have been the clear winner. But I think even people that liked the idea of Sanders were afraid that he just couldn't win, and went with the "safe" choice.

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I voted for McMullin

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder what Hillary will say during her concession phone call

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Robert Reich, like Bernie Sanders, has, IMO, long been a fair-minded critic of the Democratic Party. Here is a piece he wrote from January that offers one look at the folly of the Dems and Clinton:

Robert Reich: Why the White Working Class Abandoned the Democratic Party

Why did the white working class abandon the Democrats?

The conventional answer is Republicans skillfully played the race card.

In the wake of the Civil Rights Act, segregationists like Alabama Governor George C. Wallace led southern whites out of the Democratic Party.

Later, Republicans charged Democrats with coddling black “welfare queens,“ being soft on black crime (“Willie Horton”), and trying to give jobs to less-qualified blacks over more-qualified whites (the battle over affirmative action).

The bigotry now spewing forth from Donald Trump and several of his Republican rivals is an extension of this old race card, now applied to Mexicans and Muslims – with much the same effect on the white working class voters, who don’t trust Democrats to be as “tough.”

All true, but this isn't the whole story. Democrats also abandoned the white working class.

Democrats have occupied the White House for sixteen of the last twenty-four years, and in that time scored some important victories for working families – the Affordable Care Act, an expanded Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Family and Medical Leave Act, for example.

But they’ve done nothing to change the vicious cycle of wealth and power that has rigged the economy for the benefit of those at the top, and undermined the working class. In some respects, Democrats have been complicit in it.

Both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama ardently pushed for free trade agreements, for example, without providing the millions of blue-collar workers who thereby lost their jobs any means of getting new ones that paid at least as well.

They also stood by as corporations hammered trade unions, the backbone of the white working class. Clinton and Obama failed to reform labor laws to impose meaningful penalties on companies that violated them, or enable workers to form unions with a simple up-or-down votes.

I was there. In 1992, Bill Clinton promised such reform but once elected didn’t want to spend political capital on it. In 2008, Barack Obama made the same promise (remember the Employee Free Choice Act?) but never acted on it.

Partly as a result, union membership sank from 22 percent of all workers when Bill Clinton was elected president to fewer than 12 percent today, and the working class lost bargaining leverage to get a share of the economy’s gains.

In addition, the Obama administration protected Wall Street from the consequences of the Street’s gambling addiction through a giant taxpayer-funded bailout, but let millions of underwater homeowners drown.

Both Clinton and Obama also allowed antitrust enforcement to ossify – with the result that large corporations have grown far larger, and major industries more concentrated.

Finally, they turned their backs on campaign finance reform. In 2008, Obama was the first presidential nominee since Richard Nixon to reject public financing in his primary and general-election campaigns. And he never followed up on his reelection campaign promise to pursue a constitutional amendment overturning “Citizens United v. FEC,” the 2010 Supreme Court opinion opening the floodgates to big money in politics.

What happens when you combine freer trade, shrinking unions, Wall Street bailouts, growing corporate market power, and the abandonment of campaign finance reform?

You shift political and economic power to the wealthy, and you shaft the working class.

Why haven’t Democrats sought to reverse this power shift? True, they faced increasingly hostile Republican congresses. But they controlled both houses of Congress in the first two years of both Clinton’s and Obama’s administrations.

In part, it’s because Democrats bought the snake oil of the “suburban swing voter” – so-called “soccer moms” in the 1990s and affluent politically-independent professionals in the 2000s – who supposedly determine electoral outcomes.

Meanwhile, as early as the 1980s they began drinking from the same campaign funding trough as the Republicans – big corporations, Wall Street, and the very wealthy.

“Business has to deal with us whether they like it or not, because we’re the majority,” crowed Democratic representative Tony Coelho, head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in the 1980s when Democrats assumed they’d continue to run the House for years.

Coelho’s Democrats soon achieved a rough parity with Republicans in contributions from corporate and Wall Street campaign coffers, but the deal proved a Faustian bargain as Democrats become financially dependent on big corporations and the Street.

Nothing in politics is ever final. Democrats could still win back the white working class – putting together a huge coalition of the working class and poor, of whites, blacks, and Latinos, of everyone who has been shafted by the shift in wealth and power to the top.

This would give Democrats the political clout to restructure the economy – rather than merely enact palliatives that papered over the increasing concentration of wealth and power in America.

But to do this Democrats would have to stop obsessing over upper-income suburban swing voters, and end their financial dependence on big corporations, Wall Street, and the wealthy.

Will they? That’s one of the biggest political unknowns in 2016 and beyond.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is insane but you know what, the entire media has an egg on their face right now, including myself. I just have to hope for the best future for America, life will go on, for the most part...

Nook likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just giving you guys a little Rocket Legend treatment, lighten up... ;)

DudeWah likes this.
  14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

See you at the barbecue next month?

DonnyMost likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I told you guys it's Bernie. It's Bernie only. Clinton gave you Trump because she's selfish. Because she didn't want a fair primary race. Because she did not want to be less Republicany.

I said it a million times, if she wants the votes, stop yelling at 3rd party voters. She could have just moved further left on healthcare, or student debt, or trade deals, or WAR, and she would have had the competitive advantage to win. She wanted to be Hillary and win, and people didn't want Hillary. They didn't want the non-populist version of Trump. Populism was more important. In the months after her primary win, she distanced herself so much from the platform she accepted. The emails showed she does not give a F about democracy on a scale few could compete with.

****ing hell guys. This is so ****ed up. There's so much more work to be done now.

And Trump voters, I'm not saying Trump is Hitler. I'm just saying he's one of the riskiest candidates of all time, you must admit that he could screw you too.

Space Ghost likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds about right.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Tmacfor35 wins fair and square. But I will take it one step further. And I say this not out of anger, or irrationality, or anything else, but out of a realization that it's time to change. I have enjoyed being on this site for several years, but every thing eventually comes to an end. And there are other avenues to explore in terms of personal interests. dandorotik officially retires from ClutchFans today. All the best to all of you in your future career endeavors.

Dan Dorotik

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why?

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My wife wanted to do a write in for Bill Murray. But she didn't want the Ghostbusters or Caddy Shack Bill Murray - she wanted the What About Bob Bill Murray.

Then, as she thought about it, she thought that they might have given her vote to one of the many other Bill Murrays in America. She couldn't stomach that, so she didn't vote.

God, I love her.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Don't lock me up?