1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, May 13, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes you did.

Now you want to explain why you claimed it was an attack from the radical left and why you posted a video that supported him from the actual radical left?

Is this really an issue?

fchowd0311 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not true at all. I agree with Andrew Yang that Pelosi is wrong here if she kills a deal for a stimulus. I also know firsthand working in corporate America that many many companies factored in another round of stimulus into their Q4/Q1 planning. Most of these companies (some larger than you think) have been holding on to a major round of layoffs to see what Congress and Trump do.

Pelosi would be dumb to hand Joe Biden that type of immediate catastrophe to our job market if Biden wins.

That being said... if there is major corrupt clauses in the Bill, yes she has the ability and goodwill to negotiate those out of the Bill. But eventually a bill needs to happen and basically all Americans who aren't Rand Paul Atlas Strugged Right Wing Nutcases agree on.

I don't know anyone that disagrees with Andrew Yang on the central point. Killing a stimulus bill right now would be stupid. Millions of Americans are on the verge of being thrown into unemployment and we'll be paying for that one way or another.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I know. She's a great at fundraising money. That's her best attribute. She has all the right connections from her suburban Maryland upbringing. A lady of the people.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have to think this issue has many layers that are not being reported, there is a reason Pelosi is holding out and I have to think its in the fine print.

I do know it's much deeper than just the monetary figures.

With that said its a blessing she has been in charge during the last 4 years the democratic party could have been pulled apart by infighting over this time.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Kept the democratic party from imploding do to infighting.

Being IDGAF enough to not be threatened by the squad and causing division and being smart enough to know they are the actual future of the party so don't pick petty fights.

Not overreaching in the house making it palatable to vote democrats down ticket.

Its amazing you think anybody could do this just look at what happened to Boehner and Ryan.

AleksandarN likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

There is no evidence that Pelosi is good at uniting Democrats. Trump himself is a great uniter for Democrats, not Pelosi.

What we do have evidence of his Pelosi being your standard grifter in Congress. She personifies the neo-liberlaism that got us this: [​IMG]
    She personifies the neo-liberalism that created the trend of the past 40 years of median household debt greatly outpacing median household income.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Now imagine any Trumper here ever criticizing Mitch McConnell like this. Totally fair, and I feel us on the left holding people like Pelosi is a good thing, and doesn't mean that "Dems are in Disarray!!" or whatever the media tries to portray for some sort of whataboutism game.

The purity test does annoy me sometimes, but I do feel like Pelosi is a relic of the old corporate Democratic party, and if Biden wins, I would very much like to see her retire, and have someone in that high leadership position 2nd in line to the presidency be someone who represents the new more Progressive Democratic Party for sure. I really like Ro Khana for that position.

Deckard, Reeko, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Thanks. To be clear, I make clear distinctions between people like Pelosi and Mcconnell. Pelosi on her way to benefiting from her office will show some awareness and baseline moral integrity that there are systemic problems in things like race relations. Mcconnell is a full on grifter who would ride the backs of white supremacists if it let him stay in power. There is no "line" with Mcconnell that he wouldn't cross. He's full grift.

dobro1229 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Gonna use the B-Bob example.

Ok.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

Look dude... We have to realize that Trump is merely a symptom and status quo politicans like Pelosi allowed those symptoms to fester while becoming wealthy off of their positions in Congress. It's not moral and it's not sustainable. You don't want another Trump right? Well we will keep on getting Trump types of these trends continue economically. Pelosi isn't going to be apart of that reform. She's a status quo person.

You know my positions of this election. It's literally "a toaster over Trump". I know that people like Pelosi and Biden are far better options than the current administration and the GOP Senate. But after this election, things need to drastically change to prevent another Trump.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

12 hrs? Just Wow.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no issue with this and youngsters can learn a lot from Pelosi and I am not talking about on policy but how to get stuff done by building consensus.

What Pelosi did to get the ACA passed was a feat unto itself and she does not get enough credit.

Can't have a progressive leader calling people who don't agree with them contented and corporatist and expect to get stuff done.

13. fchowd0311

A comprised bill (no public option) with a Democrat majority in all federal government branches....

That wasn't a feat.

The only advice youngsters in Congress can get from Pelosi is how to attract donors and how to trade stocks to maximize your returns using the information you know in Congress.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't agree with any of this at all it reads like a freshmans manifesto.

Pelosi does not have that kind of power to let anything fester and she has nothing to do with their being another Trump.

Not getting into this with you again.

Especially if you are now trying to claim that Pelosi is somehow the cause of Trump.

Bonkers.

15. fchowd0311

Did I ever say that she is personally responsible for Trump? And why do you always resort to personal attacks? I'm pretty sure other posters have this same complaint about you.

I said her type of politician is what caused these trends or at the least was apathetic to these trends. There are many Nancy Pelosis.

Dude stop creating strawmen of my arguments. If you don't want to sincerely debate me because you think some naive idiot than stop replying as you promised before.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This just shows you don't know WTF you are talking about, a large number of democrats wanted nothing to do with the ACA with a public option.

https://extranewsfeed.com/who-really-killed-the-public-option-b4d95cf99b8a

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2010.0363

Following President Obama’s inauguration in January 2009, the U.S. Congress began its work on comprehensive health care reform. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) pledged at the time that the House bill would include a public option. 15 Indeed, a public option offered through a private insurance exchange was included in all three versions of the bill passed by House committees in the summer of 2009 (House Ways and Means and House Education and Labor on 17 July 2009; House Energy and Commerce on 31 July 2009), as well as in the bill passed by the full House of Representatives on 7 November 2009 (the Affordable Health Care for America Act, HR 3962). A public option was also included in the bill passed by the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee on 15 July 2009 (the Affordable Health Choices Act, S 1679).

Senate Democrats were engaged in a highly contentious debate throughout the fall of 2009, and the political life of the public option changed almost daily. The debate reached a critical impasse in November 2009, when Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-CT), who usually caucuses with the Democrats, threatened to filibuster the Senate bill if it included a public option.

During this period, several alternatives were considered. One compromise proposal included a Medicare buy-in for people age fifty-five and older. However, both Senator Lieberman and Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME) opposed the Medicare buy-in, which evoked concerns similar to those raised about the public option. Sen. Kent Conrad (D-ND) proposed using nonprofit health care cooperatives to compete with for-profit plans, but this concept also sparked little enthusiasm.

Debate over the public option continued as additional proposals were made to narrow eligibility for the public option and to raise the rates paid to providers above Medicare levels. When those, too, failed to garner enough support, the public option was eliminated from the Senate bill.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) made last-minute attempts to introduce amendments to include a public option as the bill was about to be voted on by the Senate Finance Committee. Those failed, and there was no public option in either the bill that emerged from that committee or the bill that passed the full Senate on 24 December 2009 (the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, HR 3590). The option was also omitted from the president’s proposal, Principles for Health Reform, released 22 February 2010 prior to a bipartisan health care summit. Likewise, it was not present in the budget reconciliation bill passed by the House and Senate and signed into law by President Obama in March 2010.

17. fchowd0311

Like I said. She passed a bill with a majority of her party in both chambers and Democrat control of the executive branch with a heavy compromise amongst Democrats. How is that something special? Not getting anything passed with the majority hold on all branches would be pathetic.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So far, 2020 early voting is nearly 10x that of 2016.

As of Monday night, nearly 10.4 million Americans have cast a vote in states that report early voting data, according to the election information resource at the University of Florida.

By way of comparison, as of Oct. 16, 2016, some 1.4 million Americans had cast an early vote.

The number of ballots cast in five states - Minnesota, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin - already exceeds 20% of total 2016 turnout, the Elections Project said.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

I'm assuming high turnout is a good thing here for Biden.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What did I say that was personal?

This is why I try not to engage with you because you always try and play the victim, there is no strawman in anything I said.

There is nothing sincere in a debate with you,

You are the same person who tried to debate me about Biden being a great candidate when I never said such a thing.

Message received loud and clear.