1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elarton goes Wahoo

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, May 26, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Member

I wondered if Astros would have been interested in reacquiring. Obviously not.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports...@texpat.com&KRD_RM=6uqootsrvuorsmrqommmmmmmmm|m+r|N

Indians pick up a right-hander

Elarton signs, has hope of being starter for Tribe

By Sheldon Ocker Beacon Journal staff writer

CLEVELAND - Desperate for a fifth starter, the Indians on Tuesday signed right-hander Scott Elarton after he cleared waivers from the Colorado Rockies.

With Jason Stanford, Jeff D'Amico and Buffalo's top starter, Kyle Denney, all nursing injuries, the Tribe has only four viable starters and needs a fifth for the game Saturday against the Oakland Athletics.

Elarton, 28, was 0-6 with a 9.08 ERA and .328 batting average against in eight starts, all losses for the Rockies.

``There's a decent chance that after two or three games, I could be (in the majors),'' Elarton told the Rocky Mountain News. ``They don't have a fifth starter right now, and with no off days (actually two) in June, they are looking for somebody in that role.''

Whether Elarton turns out to be that man is open to conjecture. He will first have to prove himself at Triple-A Buffalo.

``(General manager Mark Shapiro) has been out there looking every day,'' manager Eric Wedge said. ``He thinks this guy can help us. We'll have to see what the time frame is, and what our needs are.''

Elarton is not a candidate to start Saturday against Oakland. More than likely, either Chad Durbin or Joe Dawley, the former Kansas City Royals pitcher now at Buffalo, will get that assignment.

After that, Wedge will be unable to function with four starters for more than one turn around the rotation.

The high point of Elarton's career came in 2000, when he was 17-7 with a 4.81 ERA for the Houston Astros. He began having shoulder problems in 1999 and underwent shoulder surgery in 2002.

Maybe part of his struggles this year can be blamed on the difficult pitching conditions at Coors Field, where he posted an 11.03 ERA in six starts. In two starts on the road, his ERA was 6.10.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I noticed the other day in the Chronicle that Elarton had the longest current losing streak in the majors to date this year.

3. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Member

Wasn't it not too long ago when Roger's in Toronto and we wouldn't budge on trading Elarton or Hidalgo to bring back Clemens back to houston? Elarton's got some great stuff back then too...that's what colorado will do to ya...

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the big issue then was that Roger was demanding a contract renegotiation despite already making a buttload of money. Hunsicker went ballistic, as I recall.

5. xiki

xiki Member

What happened to SE in addition to the shoulder and Coors Field. Did he just lose it or can he again be a major league pitcher?

6. codell

codell Member

He actually lost it when he was still here.

7. Nick

Nick Member

He was Dierker's version of Lidge in 98... but Dierk also started him a lot in 99. That led to off-season surgery, and the begginning of the end for Elarton (notice he had a J-Rob type year in 2000 as our 'ace'... 17 wins, but near 5 ERA)

8. codell

codell Member

I was never impressed with Elarton's *stuff*.

I dunno. A 6'8'' guy shouldn't be such a puss thrower.

9. AMS

AMS Member

He went Jose Lima on us...

Isnt our boy Jeromee on the indians? why not just call him back up? O wait thats right, coz he suckssssss

10. Nick

Nick Member

He used to get it up to 98 mph in 1998, before Larry made him a reliever/starter/reliever, thus starting his arm trouble.

Luckily, he learned his lesson, and DIDN'T do the same thing to Oswalt when he came up in 2001 (he put him in relief to get his feet wet, then made him a starter for good)

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

Really? I wasn't aware Oswalt had any time in middle relief. How long did that last? Half a season? Didn't wade miller start right off the bat?

12. Behad

Behad Member

Roy had 8 relief appearances in 2001 before becoming a starter, Miller had 4 in 99.