1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that's not my point, the point is, when Lin or Harden is not with the bench unit, they all stand at the three point line dribbling around like headless chickens setting random picks with Parsons, Garcia and Caspi taking turns failing to iso. This will happen if you put Beverley alone with the bench unit, we have literally no scoring threat on offense.

I personally don't give a shet about who starts or not unless the Lin fans, because it's superficial and it doesn't matter in the actual game. The point is either Lin or Harden has to play with the second unit, because Beverley clearly isn't a playmaker.

I think Jeremy Lin probably should play more minutes simply because Beverley can't create, whether he starts or not I don't care, he can still play heavy minutes from the bench.

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

^ yeah that lineup is horrifying to watch.

3. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Maybe I didn't read your earlier post correctly b/c you seemed to be saying that Lin needs to come off the bench b/c the bench unit doesn't have anyone to handle the ball. That's why I was saying you could almost always have either Harden or Lin in their with some of the bench players. It's never put in all 5 bench guys and rest all starters unless the games already been decided.

That's why it would be fine to start Lin and Harden together.

1 person likes this.
  4. ed_tx

Wait- I did read your post correctly earlier. You said Lin must come off the bench so he can run point for the second unit. I countered with the fact that you can use player management and rotations to ensure either Lin or Harden can run point for the second unit while they both start.

So if you agree with my example of how we could rotate Lin and Harden in and out of the lineup, then you must agree that Lin doesn't need to come of the bench.

5. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

it's fine if you don't want to have consistent offense all game/ run your starters into the ground.

the reason why you bring lin off the bench is because it theoretically can increase lin's possessions as a score first guard rather than a pass first guard. if he's with harden, he is more of a facilitator. he can facilitate, but he can also score. the reason why i want lin to come off the bench (and play 30 MPG) is to increase his usage rate.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

That defense... what a great all around game by Jeremy, would definitely like that intensity from him every game.

7. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I feel you there. But Lin haters will always hate and find reasons too. I think its really pathetic when you find a "veteran" poster with so many green bars under his name and hes just trolling and simply hating on one player then throws terms like LOF and nitpick stats. The funny thing is, there hasn't even been as many posts blindly hoisting Lin up as the next MJ or Kobe as there are just plain haters on him. I'm happy we have all 3 of the PGs on our roster, and I believe all of them are capable of being on a championship caliber team.

8. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

the problem is you arent maximizing lin if you start him.

if you start him, you lose out on the margins.

9. Chris Jent MVP

Lin's individual stats may suffer somewhat if he starts (although I don't really think thats true, but just for arguments sake...), but he helps the team by keeping the defense on him.

When Bev is in the lineup, the defense sags off Bev and collapses on Harden/Howard/Parsons. When Lin is on the floor, Harden has more freedom to dominate.

10. ed_tx

Please elaborate. Why wouldn't we be maximizing Lin if he started?

11. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Actually a little too similar to Harden.

12. bws

bws Member

He doesn't get to play the best units of other teams as much or with the best unit of his own team. Playing with Jones, Dwight, Parsons, he'll develop chemistry with the best on the team and up his playmaking skills, he'll get to be defended by and defend the other team's best players more minutes. He's one of the best players on the team and gets better by playing with better players.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

its BS people say we need Lin to help the bench, harden or Lin can help the bench really Mchale just needs to always have one of them on the floor at all times with bench or starters it doesn't matter & Starting & ending games.

Harden is more efficient when playing with Lin because teams have to adjust with 2 playmakers on the court, they feed off each other, anyone knows this who watched all games last year, Harden got his SUPERSTAR best SG in league with playing with lin, so it's crazy how folk say they can't play together around here. It's hard to guard them, imagine us facing the mavs & they have 2 mota Ellis's at pg & SG, that's a nightmare ! Why should we make it easier for other teams, by having just one playmaker in the game ? Rockets are lucky to have them both in back court, good pickups by morey!

When asik comes back it will be even better, having him on floor when Howard rest tonrebound, play D & set those screens for Harden & Lin to attack or kick out to shooters which was our bread and butter all last year.

1 person likes this.
  14. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Asik coming back?
    Sure keep telling yourself that

15. Play07

Play07 Member

Lol yeah seems like he really does have a knee problem this year though. This makes the Howard signing even better because smith & asik pretty much been hurt all year, we wouldn't even have a center around these parts if it wasn't for getting Howard this summer. Camby even checked out before preseason started lol

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

When Bev is healthy Lin plays both backup PG and backup SG. Sometimes both at the same time. Ideally Lin gets 8 or more minutes than Bev, and the Rockets bench is a force. Is Lin a better starting PG than Bev? Certainly. Without a doubt. But the Rockets are a better team when Lin comes off of the bench. Unless you enjoy the Rockets bench getting 13 points a game with all of them getting minus double digits +/-.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

How does the bench suffer if harden or Lin is the court at all times even if they start together ? Brooks is also a vet that can hold us down if mchale just had to sit harden & Lin together for a couple mins

18. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

The key to the Rocket success has been and always will be let Lin handle the ball.
    Until the coaches and Harden figure this out, we will be inconsistent this whole season. If Lin handles the rock our team will flow like butter...if Harden insists that he must dominates the ball every time, we're screwed worse than Beyoncé tried to sing"Ave Maria".

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

LOL, you are trying to use a game when the starters were so dominant that poor bench play was irrelevant to the final score as a reason to bench Lin. Lin has played better than Beverley. Lin needs to be on the court for every meaningful minute Harden is not, when both are healthy.

The bench is hurting because Asik and Beverley are hurt.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

[​IMG]