1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

EG is so overrated!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by youAndMe, Jan 3, 2003.

1. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

sigh....I respect a lot of your opinions about EG. I think I have less patience than some of you. I respect the clutch crew. They are the real seniors here with a lot of experience. But here is a list of posters, especially in this thread, whose posts I don't respect at all:

*don grahamleone
    *eric.81
    *Batman Jones
    *nyrocket
    *SLA

I picked these names very carefully. I don't mind people call me troll, we're all human...we have emotion. But those posters in this list are nothing but parrots. For example,
    Ok, you call me a name, then....anything else to say?? You basically just quote somebody's words and call someone a name. Come on. You can do better than that.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That was a classic. She ends up getting one of her fingers or toes cut off when she runs outside.
    Anyway, back on topic, you guys are comparing Griff to T-Mac,
    O'neal, Kobe, etc... , when the best comparison is to Robert Horry. They both, in college, were good shot blockers and used their size to score, in the pros they both started with Rudy as a coach and , in effect, became primarily three point shooters. It just seems to me that Griff is headed down that same path.

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Wait a minute, are you trying to say that KT makes the Sixers worse. Are you saying that KT made Allen Iverson miss everything he threw up. Also, are you saying that the loss of KT and the addition of Posey have made the Rockets better, thus far? I don't see the logic.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Yea. I think you about got it about figgered out..

good job too...

5. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Eddie is a role player on this team, and that's what he should be at this moment. You could only consider him overrated if you're going by the lofty hopes of CC.net posters who are looking for every Rocket to be the next great thing (which is fine). He's playing fine but not necessarily excelling. But remember he's a 20 year old 2nd year player on a playoff contending team. I don't think Eddie's causing us to lose games right now, which is what's important. He's holding his own out there. In fact, I've seen him hit some big shots in the 4th quarter and he's intimidating a lot of players at the other end with his shot-blocking. Plus, he's our best PF right now. It's actually kind of nice for a young talent like him to be getting PT and developing even as the team is fighting for the playoffs. There's no way in hell I'm giving up on him this early in his career.

6. napster

napster Member

"TMac is light years ahead of EG in terms of talents and light years behind Yao in terms of skills. "

Are you kidding me? TMac is light years behind Yao in terms of skill?

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

He's 20 frickin' years old.

Look back at your life, and think, "How would people have judged ME when I was only 20? Would they have been right?"

Griffin has world's of talent, and he needs to bulk up and some personal tutelage from the unmatched teacher that is Experience.

8. ASIA

ASIA Member

Maybe not lightyear in skills but fundamentally, yes!

9. CY02

CY02 Member

Exactly. EG is doing what he's asked to do. You can't have five 20 ppg 10 ppg 10 apg superstars in the same team and five superstars aren't equal to wins!

10. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

For the love of crap, youAndMe:

GO AWAY!!!

You are a CANCER to this board, and your pessimism, terrible predictions, and complete ineptness towards analyzing the Rockets or basketball is getting damned annoying.

Please crawl back in your hole and have someone seal it shut this time.

11. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

Golly, I don't know guys. Man, this thread has turned out to be a real free for all.

Compared to many of the other forums I've been on, I've always thought cc.net to be more civilized and thoughtful. All this opportunist call for banning and personal attacks is really quite disconcerting. Unless someone's really out of line, I'd think the best response is no response, unless there's clutch crew has a standard procedure for dealing with out of bounds topics or behaviour (which would be a good idea to publicize if it exists, so that there is no arbitrary call for banning for subjective behaviour some members find disconcerting).

Hmm...I'm sounding rather naggy I suppose, so this will be the extent of my grousing.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i do agree with you Fungee77, But the last couple of months there have bee alot of people comming here and trying to get on our nerves.They just say something to get an reaction. and most members are getting tired of them.so they aren't as relaxed as they used to be. i normaly do not ask for a ban. and i think i wil never again. but some people are only here to be anoying.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, you're not following.

The original premise of the first post stated there's a problem with our PF slot (Eddie). It goes about asking what should be done.

I'm not saying at all that KT has made the Sixers worse, and I never even mentioned Posey in regards to the Rockets. This isn't about the KT for Posey trade, so don't try and make it so. I used KT as an example of a recently traded PF upgrade, Rockets connection notwithstanding.

I am saying that losing the player that was basically considered the PF playing the best ball on the Rockets (KT) has not hurt us really, and I'm saying that the Sixers' adding KT has not helped them as much as the talent differential of that trade (KT for 12/13th man types) would suggest.

Using that comparison, and my preceding points regarding EG's improvements, I'm making the argument that there more than likely isn't an option out there that's going to improve our team by any significant margin.

14. Arnel

Arnel Member

posted by jeff: "I think you guys are just bored and need SOMETHING to b**** about."...

I agree..

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm just upset because I made YouandMe's list of meanies.

16. haven

haven Member

Why has this poster not been banned?

Negativity is fine. Blatant trolling is boring.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I know I'm late chiming in on this, but who cares if he is only 20. The "kid" is in the National friggin Basketball Association where the best of the best play basketball for a living. I understand that this is only his second year in the league and he is only 20, but that is not going to be an excuse for long and as others have pointed out, he has shown little, if any improvement this year making those excuses wear thin very fast.

As for the comparing EG to McGrady argument, I think we can all agree that Griffin doesn't have the same basketball mentality that McGrady had at that age. T-Mac wanted to excel, which is why he wanted out of Toronto. He knew he had game and that he wasn't going to be able to display improve his game on that team. Griffin has this chance and isn't making much of it so far. There is no excuse for a 6'10"-6'11" shot blocker to take as many long distance shots as EG does. A guy with his skills has got to develop a post game and a mid-range shot if he is going to be of any worth in this league. He has shown neither at this point.

A couple of interesting stats:

At this point in the season EG has attempted only 6 fewer 3 pointers than Steve Francis and 20 fewer than our own resident shot jacker, Cuttino Mobley.

He has also pulled down almost 30 fewer rebounds than the much shorter Steve Francis.

I hope he turns his game around, but I'm not going to kid myself by constantly using his age and an excuse. I honestly haven't seen many signs of him improving this year over last. IMO he just doesn't have the fire to become a better all around player. If he did the first thing he would do is lay off the 3's and take his game inside the arc. We all rave about how good he'd be if he had a post game. Hell, I'd settle for a decent mid-range shot. All of his numbers are sure to increase if he worked on just that one aspect of his game. Hopefully all of that will change when this team starts winning and when someone comes along and pushes him to work on his game.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The only thing that gives me light about EG's game good or bad is Donyell marshall. If you had a chance to watch Griffins game in college , it resembles Marshalls so much. Both were good rebounders/shot blockers, both were tweeners. marshall was traded his first season by Minny, struggled with shooting % in GS, but founf himself in 2 yrs at Utah. I hope it doesn't take a trade for Eddie to realize what a good shot is. My glimmer is Donyell Marshall who didn't become a good nba player until his 5th yr in the league and playing alongside 2 HOF players and a hard nosed no non sense coach. Hopefully Eddie will get off the 3pt line, learn to drop his shoulder and explode over players. It may not be impossible, but I think first he must be given a teacher about post play. Someone like Adrian Dantley, Hakeem,Moses or someone like that could work wonder with Griffin. Look at what Aguirre did with O'Neal.

19. artificial

artificial Member

Here is my observation. The Rockets lost in PF position again. Bullseye!!

20. alaskansnowman

People,

Just give Griffin some time. Did you not see today's game? He made some pretty decent moves in the post that just barely rolled out. We say that he hasnt improved, but he wouldn't have been making those moves in the post last year. I think game by game we will begin to see a few more opportunities in the post for Griffin, and I think we'll begin to see improvements as well.

Didn't someone say big men develop more slowly than guards anyway? The point is, I'm sure Eddie has improved his post game, but it's still not great yet... he's not just gonna come out and start postin up all over. He will still resort to his outside jumpers until he truly feels comfortable in the post and that takes time. Patience!