1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

EG is so overrated!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by youAndMe, Jan 3, 2003.

1. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

I'm sick of the 20yrs old crap. He is one dimensional player, block-shots. This guy has no inside offense. He has no jump shots, other than jacking up 3s. He can't rebound. He can't guard opponents in perimeter. Yes, he is young but he hasn't shown any significant improvements this year. What does that mean? He learns slow, or maybe that's all he is capable of. The Rox can no longer wait for his development because Rox need to win games. And from the radio show tonight, Rudy sounded worried about making to the playoff. Rox need to win games now, period. MoT will not get back his old very soon future form because he is still hurting with the old injury. PF position is Rox's weakest link. And they need help now. Don't pray for the rain. WC is no playground, no cake-walk. Not a school for EG to learn what he's supposed to learn in college!

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Are you a closet G-State fan, and wanted Yao Ming on your team? Or, are you just bent that the lottery wasn't rigged for your team to win it?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what were you saying about EG last year when he was playing good?

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I'm sick of the 22yrs old crap. He is one dimensional player, slam dunks. This guy has no outside offense. He has no jump shots, other than layups and dunks. He can't rebound for a guy thats 7'6". He can't guard opponents in perimeter, without being crossed over and falling down backwards. Yes, he is young but he hasn't shown any significant improvements this year. What does that mean? He learns slow, or maybe that's all he is capable of. The Rox can no longer wait for his development because Rox need to win games. And from the radio show tonight, Rudy sounded worried about making to the playoff. Rox need to win games now, period. Cato is rebounding better and playing better defense. Center is Rox's weakest link. And they need help now. Don't pray for the rain. WC is no playground, no cake-walk. Not a school for Ming to learn what he's supposed to learn in college ball not in the laughable CBA!

We can play this game with just about anyone on the Rox squad. What is the purpose of your post? Sounds like some pent up anger you have towards EG. I get frustrated with his game sometimes too.....untill I realize that the dude is only 20 and learning the game.

Just think the Raptors thought just like you did and let Tracy McGrady walk....and look at him now.

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Oh you/me...what happened to that happy fan wondering what to spell out on your chest during the games??

Sad to say but I have to agree that EG has not developed as anticipated and seems kinda stuck on neutral right now. But he does bring something on the defensive end and when this team is in a game, it's because of their defense. Yes, he's been lit up by a couple of players this year but those were star players. This is the NBA and if a star is on, somtimes there's not much you can do. Otherwise, I think he and Yao form a strong defensive presence in the paint that allows the other players to be more aggressive.

In terms of his offense...I guess it's wait and see and keep using the 20 yr old argument (it is valid when you compare other players at that age). Kinda makes you wish Philly took MoT instead of KennyT.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Go compare what EG's doing to what Chandler, Kwame, Bender, Swift, and Curry are doing. Then come back and apologize for starting this poorly crafted thread.

7. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

TMac is light years ahead of EG in terms of talents and light years behind Yao in terms of skills. How much time would you give EG to develop? Rox has given him enough time to show what he can do.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You forgot Amare Stoudemire.

9. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

I don't think it matters if those players are lamer than EG. Rox need a PF that can shoot midrange jumper consistently. The only offense he has is 3s. And he has been shooting that inconsistently and his FG% is barely 39.

10. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

ok. we let EG and Yao go. who do you want instead?:rolleyes:

11. derrock

Yeah...a whole 100 games for a guy who played about that many in the 3 years (HS/college) before he reached the NBA.

I don't think you can gripe about EG this much. You got a problem with the PF position but it's MoT who's the veteran and should be doing more. Look at Mo's last 10 games and his stats are worse than EG:

EG 28mpg 36FG% 4.4rpg 2.2bpg 8.4ppg
    MoT 19mpg 37FG% 3.0rpg 0.2bpg 6.2ppg

They both suck, they both have an excuse. Spew the fire towards both of them. Personally, I think MoT has just regressed horribly and brings nothing to the defensive end. So unless a trade happens, EG is the best we got (which means we better pray when we play like half the Western Conf teams).

12. derrock

On above, the stats are for the last 5 games :)

13. shuttle

shuttle Member

You/Me,
    Dude, why do you make such strong comments based on subjectivity? EG will be a great player, he's 20 years old. Tell me how many players have played at an all-star level at age 20. Not many.

You are a primary example of why people shouldn't be allowed to start a post until they have enough experience reading the board. You have made 165 posts and have barely been around for a month. That's just silly. It's about quality and objectivity, not quantity and thoughtless outbursts.:rolleyes:

14. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

What! I live in Houston. I bought stocks from DyneRgy. I lost thousands of dollars in Enron. I'm a member in AsianHoustonNetwork. I donated money to Orlando Sanchaz to run his mayor campaign. I set up a free dinner reception for Sylvia Garcia to run her campaign. I'm more Houston than you, my friend. What makes you think I'm a GS fan?

15. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

Thank you for your comment, quality poster. Please help me understand what all-star level is. And please explain to me what all-star has anything to do with this post. The statement here is Rox need help in PF position. And, EG is not the answer. If you're as quality as you claim, please offer your opinion on what Rox should do to solve their current problems with PF position.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

EG also had a string of breakout games early last season. That's not to say Amare won't necessarily be a much better player than EG, but I got a feeling teams will figure out ways to attack Amare's weaknesses in the coming weeks.

17. ASIA

ASIA Member

EG is totally inconsistent and play a very poor defensive player. He's young and he's going to get better but he shouldn't be starting!!!

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Griffin is still one of my favorite rockets despite this godawful season. he needs to work on:

SHOOTING

the kid really needs to step up. he's 20 so what? he has to his some open shots. try to stay away from that 3 pt arc and move in for a higher % shot. he's not making some smart decisions with the ball as well. dont' settle for a jumper when he can take it to the basket

CONFIDENCE

at times when he's open he'll think about shooting but then passes it away. gotta be confident. i'm pretty sure (and i hope) that mobley, francis and co wouldn't mind him taking charge and be aggressive.

STRENGTH

he gotta bulk up in every which way. to be a 4 in this league you gotta have strength and this is the area that he still lacks

i hope that he can turn into a KG-type player. all he lacks is a consistent shot and some strength in the paint. if he can't be a KG, well...i hope he can be a cliff robinson and score 18 a game

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Griffin is no KG, nor will he ever be. With Yao, we don't have to rely on him becoming a great post player. I think at best he could be a Rasheed Wallace type, primarily a shooting threat. I'd be happy with him being a better shot-blocking and rebounding but less athletic Robert Horry.

For every Amare Stoudemire, there are at least 4 or 5 guys that came out too early and either didn't make it or haven't developed yet.

20. shuttle

shuttle Member

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize a post entitled "EG is so overrated!!" was about the Rockets current problems with the PF position.
    This sounds more like a EG bashing post to me.

I think the Rockets will have to continue what they are doing at PF and hope to find some improvement from MoT and EG. However, I'm not a coach so that is based on the limited knowledge of the PF position as given to me as a fan.

I fail to see where you gave your opinion of "what the Rox should do to solve their current problems at PF."

By the way, could you please stop posting Dynergy all over the board? It's spelled Dynegy. I hope you haven’t invested too much money in a company that you can't even spell.

Quality Poster