1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin waived. Sign Him Up!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mordo, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Here is our chance to replace the athletic PF that we lost in the Stromile trade. We can finally correct the mistakes we made, when we got rid of Griffin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2797671

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'd feel bad for the guy if he didn't make millions of dollars letting millions of people down.

3. vincentt

vincentt Member

No way this guy is a bust too many off the court problems

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Had we kept Eddie, JVG would have a 6'10" doghouse to build.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

and he'd have to equip it with a dvd player and pr0n.

6. jlwee

jlwee Member

Sign Griffin? So he can teach VSpan how to shoot..... the gun???

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jesus... sometimes I think its amazing that this franchise recovered from all of these decisions:

1.) Matt Maloney - 6 year deal (out of league)
    2.) Moochi Norris - 6 year deal (out of league)
    3.) Kelvin Cato - 6 year deal (almost out of league)
    4.) Maurice Taylor - 6 year deal (almost out of league)
    5.) Bryce Drew - 1st round pick, passed up Rashard (out of league)
    6.) Mirsad Turkcan - 1st round pick, passed up Rashard (was he ever in the league?)
    7.) Rodrick Rhodes - 1st round pick, dealbreaker in the stoudamire trade (out of league)
    8.) Eddie Griffin - 1st round pick, after trading 3 first round picks to get him (out of league)

Now, its one thing to expect that every team could possibly make a list like this... but actually, I doubt any team gave that many large contracts consecutively to guys who amounted to NOTHING, as well as blowing nearly all 6-8 out of all their first round picks since 1999, and having nothing to show for it.

#7 Nick, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

What do you think of Rudy?

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yeah, because all we need on our roster is more losers with no heart/desire or any idea of how to win in the NBA.

I will pass...

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Forgot to add 9.) Rodrick Rhodes - 1st round pick, dealbreaker for the Stoudamire trade. (out of the league).

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

actually dickerson played pretty well his rookie season here in houston, poor guy just ran into a whole bunch of bad bad injuries that killed his career. if he had stayed healthy he could still have been in the league today.

as for the others yeah ick

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah. that and the fact that essentially Dickerson became Francis who became McGrady. So that worked out pretty well.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rudy's greatest strength was in the playoffs... where he was a master motivator, and knew the right buttons to press with the veterans.

Rudy's biggest weakness was his GM skills, as well as his questionable x's and o's (which were never his strong suit).

His "puppet GM" tenure was marred by a.) constantly searching for the next "him"... whether it be Turksan, Boki, Taylor... basically any athletic player who had a good mid-range jumpshot. or b.) his loyalty to guys that went overboard in rewarding past performances, or good hustle, with gargantuous multi-year deals which pretty much killed all motivation for the weaker-minded player.

His x's and o's were fantastic more in part due to Olajuwon being the most dangerous weapon in an era where the game centered around the big man. I'll never forget his inability to integrate a still valuable Scottie Pippen. I'll also never forget the isolation offense of Francis and Mobely.

In the end, Rudy needed a veteran team that needed a bit of motivation/direction... not a teacher/master technician/play-caller. I hope he gets another shot to find one, because the guy is nailz when it comes to managing playoff teams.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I considered that... in fact, I'd swap him out with Rodrick Rhodes (who I just added to the list).

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Everytime I see him, everytime I hear about him....I think about the success of Richard Jefferson and not originally being w/ the Rockets.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

if we had Jefferson, we'd have no Yao - at least that's what I tell myself when Jefferson looks really good like does tonight.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Include provisions for daily drug and alcohol tests that would void his contract on failure, put in a few incentives for rebounding, shot blocking, and points in the paint, and there could be a miniscule chance that he would ever contribute something positive to a team.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You only have to look at what Rudy did with the scrub team he took to the bronze medal at the World Championships to know he what an amazing complete coach he was. I mean that story could be a Disney feel good movie of the year.

Also, he was of course the last US coach to win Olympic or World Championship gold ~ obviously not such an easy task anymore. Part of the reason he has been brought back in to help guide the 2008 US effort in Beijing.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Rockets have one of the worst if not the worst ten year records of bad drafts, bad trades, and bad contracts of any team in the league, and that screams, "bad management" from top to bottom.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was an amazing coach in tournament-type situations... and a master of scouting talent (excpet when he was clouded by looking for the next "him").

But, in the team USA setting... where he had assistants such as Del Harris, Mike Jarvis, Lon Kreuger, and then Larry Brown and George Karl... he really didn't have to worry as much about the technical aspects of the game, and was able to focus more on what he was best at: master motivation, building team chemistry, and solidifying the game-plan.