1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffen: Elden Campbell or Jermain O'neal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it is too soon to be so down on Eddie
    Esp since folx willing to give others more time.

The Question here is who is he more to be like
    Jermaine O'neal
    or
    Elden Campbell

Elden made some noise with the Lakers
    but not much since

O'neal came in and sat on the bench
    now he making noise

Will Eddie Blossum or have we seen the best of him?

Rocket River

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

RR, is there a reason you always misspell Eddie Griffin's name?

3. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

damn RR, you think about the NBA the first thing in the morning dont ya!

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well I hope he ends up as either of the two rather than Shawn kemp. Soars through the air for the first few years.. and then later soars to the kitchen at the smell of food in his later years...

5. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

G R I F F I N!!!!!

:D

6. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I see what you're trying to do possibly comparing Eddie Griffin to Jermaine O'Neal. As Portland fans know however, even though O'Neal sat on the Portland much of his early career in Portland, when he did get into the game, he was very impressive. Griffin on the other hand has not been that impressive. Griffin showed for about 3 months in his rookie season that he could be a decent shot blocker in this league. He's shown me nothing else since then. Based on the fact that Griffin has sparkled infrequently in the first two years of his career, I think Griffin will be neither an Elden Campbell or a Jermaine O'Neal, but more of a journey man bench player in this league.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why doesn't Griffin go to Pete Newell's Big Man Camp? I've never heard a word about such a summer adventure for EG.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Indeed
    I wonder why youdon't hear much of ANYTHING about eddie in the summer

Rocket River

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Last year someone saw him at the movies.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Before the Oilers left town . . I was a ROCK SOLID NFL fan
    After than . . the Rockets got all my love

Rocket River

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're right that Griffin has not attended Newell's camp: http://petenewellbigmancamp.net/page9.html (notice though that Cato has attended).

I think saying Griffin is destined to be a journeyman is unduly harsh though. I think he showed in his rookie year that the ability is definitely there. The Rockets just need to find a way to unlock it and exploit his ability. His path may look like that of Jalen Rose, who showed some potential his first 2 years in Denver, then sucked another 3 for Indiana until a coaching change allowed him to blow up. Hopefully we can skip the 3 years of sucking since we've gone straight to the coaching change.

12. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

just on the topic of EG doing something in the summertime.. "Eddie Griffin is expected to practice with the Rockets' summer league team next month, and Bostjan Nachbar is expected to play." (By the way I didn't read the other 'JVG elements in place topic' before posting this)
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/1965831

Also I think he needs the body strength first before going to a 'big mans camp', so he knows how to use it properly..

#12 Loco Gringo, Jun 25, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2003
  13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Elden Campbell,as a basdketball player, is in his declining years.Why would we trade Griffin who hasnt reached his potential for an pld declining player?

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

My hope with Griffin is that he'll finally get it like Donyell Marshall did when he went to Utah. Marshall was considered a bust because he shot poorly from the feild and he went 4th after being a top college player. After being traded his rookie yr and shootingalot of balls to justify his low fg % he ent to Utah. There, he learned from the oldies about good shot selection and team ball. Now he's a good player, not a great one but has is a good commodity now. Thats what I'm thinking and hoping Eddie will become. I'm one of the few who thinks he's neither O'Neal,Duncan, or KG, but more of a Donyell type. 15 pts 9 rebs and 2 blks. Not all star numbers, but solid numbers on a good team. I think with JVG, he will become a better compliment to the team. No longer will you see him staddling the 3pt line. Most of his points and scoring will be diving to thebasket from the ft line or open 15 ft jumper out of the double team. I really see his fg% increaseing to about 45-47%. I was one of the 1st to say trade Griffin because the way Rudy used him, but knowing how JVG uses his big guys like Camby, I think it would be good for him.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rose didn't blow up on a coaching change. He blew up on Bird's 3rd yr. The 3yrs you're talking about were Brown, Bird, Bird. imo, it was more about the Pacers having a balanced team like the Sonics of the early '90s, so no one but Reggie had great stats, but they all performed. gotta remember that Mullin was the starter, and Rose the backup. Mark Jackson was on that team, too, so Rose wasn't going to be doing any PG stuff or Point Forward like at Denver. Rose was the 4th quarter defender of Jordan under Bird's 1st year. He certainly was being tapped.

16. SLA

SLA Member

Eddie GriffIn like ELDEN CAMPBELL?!?!? I don't think so....he will never become that fat....he's so skinny!

He isn't too much like Jermaine O'Neal.

He's more like Tim Duncan!

17. AGBee

AGBee Member

I thought we were hearing about Eddie dominating the summer league last year?

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

HP, I'm just recalling interviews I read at the time where Rose said he couldn't ever find his place under Larry Brown and credited his marked improvement to playing for Bird. His talent apparently did not come out right away.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

leebigez, I agree with your analysis. I think under JVG Griffin will be much better. He won't hang around the 3pt line as much and will get more rebounds and better % shots from the field. That will make a big difference.

20. carlos

carlos Member

IMHO Griff just does not show me any intensity/agression on the court. Perhaps that lack of agression is why he has not developed a post up game. Say what you will about him, KT showed agression in attacking the basket and he also seemed to improve each year. Griff is on the slow painfull ride to Bustville if he does not start putting time and intensity into his game.