1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ed Brandon-RIP

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Torn n Frayed, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

And it was "Ray Miller's Eyes of Texas" before that. I grew up with his Grandson.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was a weatherman... in every sense of the word.

Was not a meterologist... which he never claimed to be or shied away from the distinction.

After I found out the difference, I couldn't help but think of Carrell's weatherman character in anchorman.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We watched the local CBS news at the beginning of the 1960's and I remember watching Dan Rather's coverage of Hurricane Carla. Dan, the station's news director back when the news director also reported the news, became famous for covering Carla in Galveston, of course. He hired Ron Stone, who was with CBS's Channel 11 for a decade before being hired by NBC's Channel 2 as news anchor, so we switched to Channel 2.

National news? Huntley-Brinkley on NBC until Walter Cronkite became the CBS anchor in 1962, when we switched. My parents were fans of Cronkite due to his WWII radio coverage, which by all accounts was outstanding. We stuck with Cronkite until he retired. No regrets there! So I ended up being a Ron Stone fan for local, and a Cronkite fan for national news. Moved to Austin in 1980 and discovered that the local TV news coverage largely sucked, as did the local newspaper. Still does 38 years later. At least Austin had cable TV. We got cable just in time to watch the birth of CNN. The perfect tonic for a news junkie.

I caught Ed Brandon from time to time, and he seemed to be a very nice guy who was good at his job.
    Rest In Peace, Ed.

#23 Deckard, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I delivered Mr Brandon a pizza about 20 years ago.

Nice guy and very modest

R.I.P.