1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Economists Statement on Barack Obama's Risky Economic Proposals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 10, 2008.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

including 5 nobel winners

link is to a mccain press release, if you're allergic to that sort of thing...

[rquoter]100 Economists Warn That With Current Weak Financial Conditions Barack Obama's Proposals Run A High Risk Of Throwing The US Into A Deep Recession

ARLINGTON, VA -- Today, McCain-Palin 2008 released the following statement signed by 100 distinguished and experienced economists at major American universities and research organizations, including five Nobel Prize winners Gary Becker, James Buchanan, Robert Mundell, Edward Prescott, and Vernon Smith. The economists explain why Barack Obama's proposals, including "misguided tax hikes," would "decrease the number of jobs in America." The prospects of such tax rate increases under Barack Obama are already harming the economy. The economists conclude that "Barack Obama's economic proposals are wrong for the American economy." The proposals "defy both economic reason and economic experience."

The full economists' statement on Barack Obama's economic proposals and a complete list of economists who support it follows:

Barack Obama argues that his proposals to raise tax rates and halt international trade agreements would benefit the American economy. They would do nothing of the sort. Economic analysis and historical experience show that they would do the opposite. They would reduce economic growth and decrease the number of jobs in America. Moreover, with the credit crunch, the housing slump, and high energy prices weakening the U.S. economy, his proposals run a high risk of throwing the economy into a deep recession. It was exactly such misguided tax hikes and protectionism, enacted when the U.S. economy was weak in the early 1930s, that greatly increased the severity of the Great Depression.

We are very concerned with Barack Obama's opposition to trade agreements such as the pending one with Colombia, the new one with Central America, or the established one with Canada and Mexico. Exports from the United States to other countries create jobs for Americans. Imports make goods available to Americans at lower prices and are a particular benefit to families and individuals with low incomes. International trade is also a powerful source of strength in a weak economy. In the second quarter of this year, for example, increased international trade did far more to stimulate the U.S. economy than the federal government's "stimulus" package.

Ironically, rather than supporting international trade, Barack Obama is now proposing yet another so-called stimulus package, which would do very little to grow the economy. And his proposal to finance the package with higher taxes on oil would raise oil prices directly and by reducing exploration and production.

We are equally concerned with his proposals to increase tax rates on labor income and investment. His dividend and capital gains tax increases would reduce investment and cut into the savings of millions of Americans. His proposals to increase income and payroll tax rates would discourage the formation and expansion of small businesses and reduce employment and take-home pay, as would his mandates on firms to provide expensive health insurance.

After hearing such economic criticism of his proposals, Barack Obama has apparently suggested to some people that he might postpone his tax increases, perhaps to 2010. But it is a mistake to think that postponing such tax increases would prevent their harmful effect on the economy today. The prospect of such tax rate increases in 2010 is already a drag on the economy. Businesses considering whether to hire workers today and expand their operations have time horizons longer than a year or two, so the prospect of higher taxes starting in 2009 or 2010 reduces hiring and investment in 2008.

In sum, Barack Obama's economic proposals are wrong for the American economy. They defy both economic reason and economic experience.

Robert Barro, Harvard University

Gary Becker, University of Chicago

Sanjai Bhagat, University of Colorado

Michael Block, University of Arizona

Brock Blomberg, Claremont-McKenna University

Michael Bordo, Rutgers University

Michael Boskin, Stanford University

Ike Brannon, McCain-Palin 2008

James Buchanan, George Mason University

Todd Buchholtz, Two Oceans Fund

Charles Calomiris, Columbia University

Jim Carter, Vienna VA

Barry Chiswick, University of Illinois at Chicago

John Cogan, Hoover Institution

Kathleen Cooper, Southern Methodist University

Ted Covey, McLean VA

Dan Crippen, former CBO Director

Mario Crucini, Vanderbilt

Steve Davis, University of Chicago

Christopher DeMuth, American Enterprise Institute

William Dewald, Ohio State University

Frank Diebold, University of Pennsylvania

Isaac Ehrlich, State University of New York at Buffalo

Paul Evans, Ohio State University

Dan Feenberg, NBER

Martin Feldstein, Harvard University

Eric Fisher, California Polytechnic State University

Kristin Forbes, MIT

Timothy Fuerst, Bowling Green State University

Diana Furchtgott-Roth, Hudson Institute

Paul Gregory, University of Houston

Earl Grinols, Baylor University

Rik Hafer, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Gary Hansen, UCLA

Eric Hanushek, Hoover Institutions

Kevin Hassett, American Enterprise Institute

Arlene Holen, Technology Policy Institute

Douglas Holtz-Eakin, McCain-Palin 2008

Glenn Hubbard, Columbia University

Owen Irvine, Michigan State University

Mike Jensen, Harvard University

Steven Kaplan, University of Chicago

Robert King, Boston University

Meir Kohn, Dartmouth

Marvin Kosters, American Enterprise Institute

Anne Krueger, Johns Hopkins University

Phil Levy, American Enterprise Institute

Larry Lindsey, The Lindsey Group

Paul W. MacAvoy. Yale University

John Makin, American Enterprise Institute

Burton Malkiel, Princeton University

Bennett McCallum, Carnegie-Mellon University

Paul McCracken, University of Michigan

Will Melick, Kenyon College

Allan Meltzer, Carnegie-Mellon University

Enrique Mendoza, University of Maryland

Jim Miller, George Mason University

Michael Moore, George Washington University

Robert Mundell, Columbia University

Tim Muris, George Mason University

Kevin Murphy, University of Chicago

Richard Muth, Emory University

Charles Nelson, University of Washington

Bill Niskanen, Cato Institute

June O'Neill, Baruch College, CUNY

Lydia Ortega, San Jose State University

Steve Parente, University of Minnesota

William Poole, University of Delaware

Michael Porter, Harvard University

Barry Poulson, University of Colorado, Boulder

Edward Prescott, Arizona State University

Kenneth Rogoff, Harvard University

Richard Roll, UCLA

Harvey Rosen, Princeton University

Robert Rossana, Wayne State University

Mark Rush, University of Florida

Tom Saving, Texas A&M University

Anna Schwartz, NBER

George Shultz, Stanford University

Chester Spatt, Carnegie-Mellon University

David Spencer, Brigham Young University

Beryl Sprinkle, Former Chair Council of Economic Advisers

Houston Stokes, University of Illinois in Chicago

Robert Tamura, Clemson University

Jack Tatum, Indiana State University

John Taylor, Stanford University

Richard Vedder, Ohio University

William B. Walstad, University of Nebraska

Murray Weidenbaum, Washington University in St. Louis

Arnold Zellner, University of Chicago[/rquoter]

2. Major

Major Member

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Barry Chiswick, University of Illinois at Chicago

You know who is also a Prof at UIC? That's right, Ayers.

AYERS! THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION NOBODY ASKED! DIRTY AWFUL TERRORIST FROM THE 60'S

Have we gotten to the bottom of how friendly this guy is with Ayers? The fact that Barryack Hussein Chiswick is on the same faculty is pretty telling.....*

*if you're a moron.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was particularly impressed by the following economics programs...

So... a third of their economists are: at minor universities with unranked economics programs, at conservative think tanks, with no affiliation, or actually working for the McCain campaign.

Looks like it was tough to get to 100. I guess they are calling the Economist, its readers and those surveyed by the Economists idiots? :confused:

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"We e-mailed a questionnaire to 683 research associates"...142 responded. The others were actually doing work like they should have been and not responding to mass emails. we already know the slackers like obama ;)

i'm still amazed by the idea of taxing oil restricting int'l trade as a legitimate idea. Such a sucker bet, but i guess if people are still buying it why not sell it

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

again, i dont know how you can trust a man who said NOTHING is wrong with the economy, and hasnt changed his economic stance since...what a joke....

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, because big flashy names and high rankings are all that matters.

signed,

cubs

how very elitist. Look, don't agree with it but to write it off because the schools arent "major" is silly.

gang? really? no offense...a very a-hole-ish post...but no offense

8. SamFisher

Uh...the first sentence of McCain's press release indicates that they are from "major universities" and "five Nobel Prize winners", whose names are then given, support his load of crap - so tell me DonkeyMagic - is this an elitist attempt to trade off of major universities or not?

Nice try, but ridiculousness by rear naked choke, round 1.

9. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Warren Buffett recently said that the next president’s choice for treasury secretary is more important than his choice for vice president, but candidates haven’t said much about their potential picks, aside from Buffett, of course, who was singled out by both candidates in Tuesday’s debate as a good choice.

Buffett, who is a supporter of Sen. Barack Obama, may be unlikely to accept, according to his hometown paper, so who else might be good for a job that is growing more and more essential to the functioning of the economy every day?...”
    http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2008/10/09/if-not-buffett-at-treasury-then-who/?mod=googlenews_wsj

The fact that Buffett supports Obama speaks very loudly indeed. Even if Buffett doesn’t want to take the job, as an Obama supporter I’m sure he’d be happy to consult with him on the choice. Economists who are academics too often seem to have their heads in the clouds. Buffett clearly lives in the real world.

10. B-Bob

I don't mind your a-hole-ish post at all -- no offense taken. :) I just wish you hadn't ignored that most of the list I highlighted there were at NO universities at all. Again, private addresses, McCain campaign members, and conservative think tank members outnumbered universities on my little list there.

But yeah, not sure why your candidate said "Major Universities" there.

Anyway, I'll go with Warren, thanks.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and ignore the noble prize winners?

12. B-Bob

I did not focus on them, you're correct. There are at least forty names on that list from "major universities" and they may be excellent economists. I'm not qualified to know. I assume the Nobel-winners are quite bright and accomplished to be sure, so that's at least five excellent economists.

But it doesn't have the same ring as "100," so I was pointing out the padding. By the way, the only list I like now is the List of Steves for evolution.

Anyway, five Nobel prize winners, yes. It seems like economists have been incredibly split on what to do next. I think a lot of people on this particular list sign off on the idea that "raising taxes is bad during a recession or worse." They may not actually examine the details of Obama's tax plan but simply react to the "he will raise taxes" mantra.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I love DM's posts. No substance, just snide commentary. He's like the held-back kid in third grade: "pssshhhhhh I've seen this lesson before..."

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

There are only 90 names on that list....

Really, these people who can't even count want me to trust them on economics? Really!?!

[​IMG]

15. B-Bob

LOL. I didn't count them. At least that increases the % that have Nobel prizes to their names. :D

16. SamFisher

This is completely r****ded - even coming from you.

http://econ4obama.blogspot.com/2008/06/obama-economic-advisors-and-economic.html

As you can see, the Obama campaign was on top of this months ago with its own distinguished list.

This is the part where I say "and ignore the Nobel prize winners?"

Of course, the funniest thing about McCain's list is Kevin "Dow 36,000" Hassett being on it. That moron isn't even an economist.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Al Gore = Nobel Prize winner

If you respect someone in their field of expertise based upon whether or not they've won a Nobel Prize, I take it you now think Gore is dead-on correct in his assessment of global warming?

18. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Obama's policies already have a negative affect... 10% downturn just from reading them! ;)

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Oh dear... it now looks like the number has dropped below 90... and 80...

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

^You forgot Poland.