1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[EC Semifinals] (2)Brooklyn vs. (3)Milwaukee

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 4, 2021.

?

Nets vs. Bucks

Poll closed Jun 5, 2021.
  1. Nets in 4

6.6%
  2. Nets in 5

9.2%
  3. Nets in 6

51.3%
  4. Nets in 7

13.2%
  5. Bucks in 7

7.9%
  6. Bucks in 6

10.5%
  7. Bucks in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bucks in 4

1.3%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I am confident he will not get anywhere close to the number of votes that Jokic gets. I don’t care about a handful of dumb voters.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Its not like its a secret or anything. Win 60+ games, win the most in the league and have statistically one of the best season in the league amongst your peers and you win the MVP 99% of the time. It's not a mystery, We aren't talking about coke's secret formula - those determining factors are literally right there recorded in the history of the award.

JayGoogle, wekko368 and durvasa like this.
  3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Finalists started when they started the NBA Awards show thing, I think. MLB does same thing now too. It's really annoying; a fake way to create drama that doesn't actually create any drama.

Curry gets a ton of leeway because a lot of media/analysts feel he completely changed the game with his range and quick release. True it is not completely warranted and overvalued, but that is the nature of media/analysts and people.

wekko368 likes this.
  4. HardenVolumeOne

curry changed the game so much, that almost no player in the league wants to play like him. all the young players emulate james harden

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Brooklyn vs Milwaukee thread has become about Steph being in the MVP chase.

Y'all need help.

bmelo, Aware, Rocket River and 2 others like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I do think people need to let the Giannis MVP thing go.

Westbrook was the one that stole a definite MVP away from Harden. They changed the criteria on the spot, Harden on the better team, played extremely well, and they decided that because Russ got a few more rebounds that he was the MVP.

I don't think Giannis MVPs were like that one, he was on great teams, put up great numbers, it is what it is...but that Russ MVP was a complete sham, especially since russ has been averaging Triple Doubles since and they don't even consider him for the award. This was also around the same time they didn't put Harden on any ALL-NBA team, the media just didn't appreciate his game then.

7. HardenVolumeOne

this brooklyn nets team is most dangerous offensive team in league history and the numbers when harden plays on this team has their offensive rating at a number in the 150's lol

keep in mind this a post achiles kevin durant as well

this nets team cant be stopped offensively

ben taylor hasnt a made a video on youtube yet because that would require heaping praise on the nets in particular harden. Ben used to say harden only had crazy number because he had the ball a lot, turns out harden is even more effiecent with less usage( something that i have been trying to convince these ben taylor stans of for years). The higher your usage the worse your efficeny in most cases, what harden did was historic. the greatest offensive player of his era

Nick_713, Agent94 and vlaurelio like this.
  8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think this is the difference between learned skills and ennate abilities.

Harden has some great ennate abiliites with short burst quickness and strength, but things like his handle, processing weight shifts of defenders, handle etc seem to more learned skills that most young players feel they can emulate. Like the step back is a move anyone can work on.

While you can work on improving your shooting range, speeding up your shot release is one of the hardest things to to do. Curry's shot release so fast he didn't really need a step back to get it off. Sure a few guys are quicker like Klay, but it is a rarer ability.

bmelo and Agent94 like this.
  9. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I don't think it's bias. Steph is very good and he's an exciting player, plus the fact that he looks like a skinny kid among giants and he can still dominate - at least offensively - plus the titles, the scoring titles, the 73 game season, the ridiculous threes, etc, makes him legitimately the perfect story for the feel-good media.

On the other hand, James Harden deserves a lot more credit than he gets. He's not a skinny kid like Curry, but he still is not a giant who overpowers you with brute force like Lebron or Giannis. James should get more credit because he dominates with a unique game of elite scoring, distributing, triple doubles, plus he beats you with a combination of strength, skill and and guile that is unlike what any other superstar does. The narrative that he is a choker is ridiculous, given how he led the Rockets as a top contender for a whole decade.

I was hoping by leading the Nets to the title he'd finally get the credit that he deserves, but if he's hurt and they still win it, the unfair narrative is not going to change.

Well, let's just hope its a minor injury and he can come back soon. My dream scenario is that they go down 3-1 and then James comes back and leads them to victory, but the way the Bucks played tonight I think the Nets can likely beat them even without James.

rpr52121, durvasa and HP3 like this.
  10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if steph had harden's 2019 season, meaning the all-time scoring rate season instead of just leading this season and got his injured team to a 4th seed (almost 2nd seed) instead of the play-in, he undoubtedly would have soundly beaten giannis for mvp. it would have probably been close to another unanimous vote. mvp finalist for scoring a lot on an 8th seed is fairly unheard of.

HP3 likes this.
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think it's highly unlikely Harden comes back against the Bucks. Don't forget that Durant tried to play through an injury and popped his achilles. Plus, this is the same hamstring that Harden injured late in the season, right?

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You think he would have undoubtedly won it, even if he was MVP the preceding year in which his team won 11 more games? Maybe he would have won it, but the idea that he would have been the clear winner even with the season Giannis had (best record, DPOY finalist, 31 PER) is hard to believe.

13. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Yeah, it seems unlikely. I suppose it depends on the severity, but one can hope.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Griffin, Harden and Green . . . they all want championships desperately
    They willing to defer and or fight for them
    Blake cannot do it every night . .. but These next few weeks I think he will give everything he has left in the tank
    to get a championship . .. . . .
    He willing to risk injury and everything . . . .. . . ..

I think that is as much a reason they win as anything

The NETS want it very badly

Rocket River

MettaWorldPete and RustyHarden like this.
  15. Agent94

Agent94 Member

You are right on two of those points, but the dude has great fundamentals for a 4. He is not a stretch 4 type shooter, but the rest of his game is solid. He penetrates like a guard and is an above average passer.

16. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Well, if...

Obviously if Curry had the season Harden had he would have deserved the MVP, as James clearly did deserve it. But Giannis had a monster season too, and he was the new kid in town, which worked to his advantage.

17. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

LOL! What do you expect, it's a Rockets forum. :)

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

And most of the discussion was about Giannis in the first place. =p

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Shaq would f%*k this league up. Jockic is the only center in the league right now that has any junk in the truck. This 4/5 and out offense has been around long enough that no one has post moves anymore. Shaq would post up, drop step and dunk over and over again against these current weak ass centers.

Jontro likes this.
  20. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I supposed it could be seen as karma for the way he left Houston. But that way of thinking ignores all the great things he did for the Rockets for a decade.

Jontro likes this.