1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ebay Scam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LegendZ3, May 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I works part time at this computer reseller store, we buy stuffs from HP, IBM, and other companies, then sell them on ebay. Anyways, I started to receive emails from DIFFERENT email addresses, asking for the SAME product, and the email content are all the same, goes like this:

Dear gcmartin,

Hello, i am interested in the immediate purchase of this unit and i shall be paying via western union auction payments as soon as you get back to me.i will also want to ask if you will be able to ship out this item latest saturday morning after payments must have confirmed and approved by western union auction payments.my reason for wanting a quick shipment is due to th fact that the demand for this unit is quite high in our store in africa and hence there is need to negotiate with you on its sales.if you will be able to do this, pls get back to me with your final asking price, your name, address and telephone number to proceed with payment right away. let me also say that i will be taking care of shipping with my UPS account which means i will not include shipping fees to africa.i await your your reply ASAP .Regards

It's really fishy, and I'm not sure if I should do what they said, and sell them the product. Does anyone else who sell stuffs on ebay have encounter the same situation? Is this a scam?

2. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Nigerian scam. They use use it for buying houses, cars, and I guess now stuff on ebay.

3. amfootball

amfootball Member

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

The part about not including shipping fees to Africa is the giveaway. When the buyer acts like they're the ones calling the shots, that's when you should walk away...scam or no scam, the seller should be setting ALL the rules.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

if he's confirming payment from Western Union before he ships -- how is this scam working???

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

What kind of unit is it? Is it something that should not be sent out of the country?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd like to know how it works too, but it smells like a scam to me.

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

He's a foreigner, don't help him!

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I got the same exact email. I'm trying to sell a cell phone on ebay. here the email I received...

GOOD DAY,i am interested in the immediate purchase of this unit and will be making payment right away,i shall also be paying through western union auction payments.i will like to ask if you would be able to ship as soon as payment is confirmed and approved by western union auction payments, this is due to the fact that its demand is high in my store and so i will want to complete the transaction in a very timely manner.if you can do this, email me with your name, contact address and your phone number so that i can proceed with payment right away.let me quickly say that i will be handling shipping with my ups account as i will be sending this unit to africa.i will be expecting your reply ASAP

9. LegendZ3

Here's another one I just got:

Dear gcmartin,

hello seller We are interested in your item and we would be paying via money order as soon as u get the approval confirmation from western union we will send you a ups label and do the pick up same day bcos we need the item in the next 4days ok so send us your address ,name and item number for the payment if u agree to ship it out as soon as u get the approval confirmation from western union mail me back asap if u agree and we will be shipping it with our UPS label we will be shipping to AFRICA ok so mail us so dat we can make this a deal and make it very fast so dat i can arrange for the payment and shipping today and we also have stores all over AFRICA where we sell such items and i know this will do my company and you a great good and favour ok so mail me back as soon as possible REGARDS YANKEE STORES WORLD WIDE COMPANY IN AFRICA

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like a scam. You may want to try it with one inexpensive item and see what happens. As long as you don't do something stupid like give out a bank account number.

Better yet, give them fraudelent goods.

11. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Dude, definitely SCAM by SCUMbags.

I am receviving written letters in mail too!

Just report this to eBay Fraud.

12. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I read about this somewhere.

Here it is

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Thanks Mack. That explains it.

14. dc sports

dc sports Member

They send a Western Union money order and oops! It's for the wrong amount ($10,000 instead of $5000). No problem. They trust you! As soon as the money order clears your bank, send them a cashier's check (but they need the money right away, so don't wait too long). The bank clears the money order, and you send the refund (along with the item).

Unfortunately, the origional money order was a forgery. It takes 2 weeks for the money order to get back to Western Union, them to identify it as a forgery, for them to send it back to your bank, then for your bank to contact you. By that time, Your money order or check has cleared, and you are out money and the item.

15. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

you should just prank them and have one of those annoying email conversations asking them for specific information like their mother's junior high nickname, or stupid questions for "verification". make them work for it and then YOU scam THEM! hahaha!

then again, us evil imperialists did screw over and exploit the third world by taking the strong workers out of their country, screwing over future generations, taking their resources, funding their wars and allowing genocides to happen as a result of arm sales to their dictators. scamming others to get money is moral compared to what they could be doing instead.

its your call. (do the first!)

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I thought money order had to be bought with cash?

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

find their email address and log into as many free email p*rn sites you can in one day... they will be spammed up the assss.

or else if u can get a phone number, give it out in a transvestite chatroom...

18. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

re: money order or cashier's check 100% safe

No. Forgery of that item or the item used to pay for that item makes the item invalid.

Watch or read "Catch Me if You Can". After Frank Abnegale(sp?) pulled off his stunts and got caught, grifters had to change some of their methods but similar cons can still go on.

19. LegendZ3

Here's another kind of scam I have to warn other sellers about. Some time I get emails titled "RE: Question for seller -- Item #XXXXXXXXX", and it says:

Looks really innocent doesn't it? But look more careful, infact, look at the source code of this email, you will find out that the link to the ebay item is not acutally link to what it says, the source code will get u to http://66.41.250.185:56783/ws/eBayISAPI.dll&ViewItem&item=8085053128&category=39800.html instead of http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=716879540
    I haven't tried to get on that web yet, so I don't know what it is, but I'm sure there will be some kind of virus on that page waiting for sellers.

BEWARE!!!!

#19 LegendZ3, May 7, 2004
    Last edited: May 7, 2004
  20. LegendZ3

edit, wrong buttom