1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ebay scam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gezza, Jul 22, 2011.

1. gezza

gezza Member

Hi

My girlfriend saw an ad on the Internet asking for ebay resellers and I want to make sure it's not a scam. I told her it probably is, but I want to be able to explain to her exactly how it works if it is.

This is how it works

1) A guy in China wants to sell shoes for $105 through ebay Australia. He doesn't want to sell them in China because people can get them for cheaper even in stores.
    2) My girlfriend uses her Australian ebay account to advertise the shoes for $105.
    3) When it sells and she gets the money, she sends $80 to the guy in China and keeps $25 herself.

Seems simple enough, and she's the one who receives the money first so there doesn't seem to be a chance of her getting punked. The problem is, why would this guy trust my girlfriend whom he doesn't know with $105. What if my girlfriend (or other people) simply keep his money and never send it to him? Sounds too good to be true.

Can anyone explain this one to me? I would be really grateful.

Cheers!

2. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

No idea if it is a scam, but my theory would be that the seller never ships the shoes to the buyer, meaning you girlfriend would be liable for the $105 of which she only would have $25 of.

Sounds like a scam

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ditto.

Have your g/f buy the shoes from him then she can resale and ship them herself.

4. gezza

gezza Member

I'm unfamiliar with ebay and paypal. How does it work? Does the money go into a third party (paypal), and the money doesn't actually get transferred to the seller unless the buyer receives the item and gives the OK?

5. VanityHalfBlack

I feel like reading one of those problem solving math questions in school... I failed...

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Your girlfriend should hold on to the money till the buyer receives their item.

7. gezza

gezza Member

Thanks guys.

The guy in China kept pushing for the money before the buyer got their item. He was even going to give us a tracking number to ensure the item was on its way. When we pointed out it was a pretty weak guarantee since it could have been a lemon in the package for all we know, he started to get angry. it was just dodginess compounded upon dodginess so we told him no thanks.

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Same concept as Nigerian scam.

I will give you $5000 in cashiers checks. You put it in your bank. Then you withdraw it, send me $4000, and I let you keep $1000. Win/Win? But those were fake checks so you were never entitled to them in the first place. Your bank takes back the $5000 (plus penalties) and you're out $4000+.

In this case, I will give you shoes to sell (cashiers check). You sell it (deposit in bank). You withdraw $105 (seller pays you), send me $80, and I let you keep $25. Win/Win? But those shoes were fake so you were never entitled to sell them in the first place. Ebay takes back $105 and you're out $80.

1 person likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The whole idea that things are cheaper in China is just wrong. All name brand stuff is more expensive in China than in the US and about the same as it is in Oz.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

3 things could happen:

1 - He doesn't ship which means that paypal comes back to your gf to get the $105 back. If she doesn't have the money, they send creditors after her and her account is closed.
    2 - He ships the product but it is fake. China is loaded with knockoffs. The buyer complains and ships back the product to your gf and paypal come back to her to get the $105 back. She ends up with the a product for $80 + hassles + negative fb(ie she'll get something back like fake Nike size 14s she can't use or resell for any close to what she has in it). Her account will be closed within a month.
    3 - He ships a nice product quickly and you get $25 in free money.

You have to ask yourself - what do you think the odds are of each and is it worth the risk?

IMO:
    1 - 49.99999999% While this is the most profitable per transaction for him, it is a short lived one.
    2 - 50% This one can last longer getting back more money because some won't realize/complain that they are fakes. So while less profitable for him, has the potential to make more money in the long run.
    3 - 0.00000001% And I think this is being generous.