1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eating healthy vs Exercise

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houstunna, Aug 18, 2015.

?

What's harder for you?

1. Eating healthy

55 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. Exercising

26 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Drugs are main issue (includes alcohol)

13 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Found the fatty

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Eating healthy is kind of a b****, because Houston. But eating LESS isn't so hard. A little portion control goes a long way.

I hate exercising, especially weight training. That's harder, for me. But if you just work out 20 minutes a day EVERY DAY, that **** adds up quick.

Beer is the ******* devil. You have to choose between drinking that six-pack or having a six-pack. You simply can't do both.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That is because calorie counters are only concerned about losing weight.
    All calories are absolutely equal when we are SOLELY talking about losing weight. 1300 of pure french fries every day for the rest of your life? You will lose weight.

Will you be healthy? Absolutely not, you will die a lot earlier you will constantly be hungry and you will be malnutritioned, but that is not the goal of calorie counters. It is purely about weight loss.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

#23 RedRedemption, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is sort of what I do. I eat clean and healthy Mon-Fri, then whatever I want on Saturday and Sunday. Problem is, I tend to overdo it on weekends....which cancels out everything good I do on weekdays...

Vicious cycle.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is so important and you are right. A calorie is a calorie, whether you're eating a piece of paper or a snickers bar or greens. That is why the daily recommended 2000 calories is ridiculous. Nutrients are far more important than calorie count.

This is what I dont understand about people who order salads; They dump ranch dressing on top of iceburg lettuce. The dressing is loaded with fat and the lettuce contains very little nutrients. Its probably worse than ordering fried food. They try to justify the ranch dressing by counting calories and keeping the count under 1500 for the day.

There is nothing wrong with indulging on junk food from time to time. Its the quantity in relation to whatever else that is put into the body that is important.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, a little confusing.

Luckily, all answers serve a purpose and have value.

I will view the posted links, read all comments, and add the info to my repertoire.

To those who asked, I'm trying to lose fat. Health matters too, but I can't fit into my good clothes. This happens every year for me. Annually, I probably average 8-10 months of being too big for my clothes vs 2-4 months of being slim enough. Fortunately, I always buy my correct (slim/ideal) size when purchasing new things. Once you start buying bigger, you have accepted being bigger, and have gotten comfortable with being bigger. As years pass, the weight has been easier to gain and harder to loss. Fortunately, alcohol isn't the factor it once was, but this only recent. Just need a solid 2 weeks of good diet/exercise, but I've been saying that since March.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I've found that it doesn't take much dressing for it to be tasted. When people finish those salads there's a good 3+ tablespoons of dressing left on the plate. :eek:

For nutrients, baby spinach and kale is an excellent substitute for lettuce.

Tomatoes are good for the prostate and heart.

8. YourSecretLover

Eating right is more important. You are what you eat.

Not to downplay exercise but it means crap if you can't eat right.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Exercise is still incredibly important. Unless your goal is to look like a fragile twig.

Who cares how healthy you look when you tire after 2 minutes of full court ball.

Who cares how healthy you look when you struggle to bench 100?

Gotta find that balance and do everything.
    In the words of Drake: Do Right And Kill Everything.

10. YourSecretLover

I agree that exercise is also important but not as important as eating. Obviously a balance of both gives that best results.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Good diet and proper exercise is crucial. It makes all the difference in the world when you take your shirt off in the club. You can either be a hero or a chump. It's all up to you.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

-I feel like crap when I don't exercise.

-I feel like crap when I eat "healthy" or whatever passes for it these days.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like crap when I exercise, and I feel like crap when I eat fried foods.

14. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Combination of both is obviously ideal. But I feel lot better when I exercise rather than I feel after eating "tasty greasy bad" food.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

nope. Insulin is the hormone that regulates fat accumulation. What you eat (not just how much) affects your insulin levels. 100 calories of snickers is not the same as 100 calories of broccoli when it comes to weight loss. Learn the biochemistry. If you don't understand why or how fat gets stored in the body then you won't understand how to get rid of it.

Just read the first 2 paragraphs on insulin in Wikipedia

16. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I love to eat healthy and I think I exercise plenty, although my Dr says that it is work and not exercise that I'm doing so I don't know. I've skated every single day for twenty something years, before, after work and on my days off. Not now though because a few years back I screwed up my ankle. I was and am still walking about 15 to 20 miles a day at work. I stayed away from most canned goods but did occasionally chow down on some types of food that weren't that good for you. (BBQ I'm looking at you...and rum ham) I did try to keep the portion low and I always had veggies with them.

Then I was told I had diabetes which then led to a bunch of other crap I don't won't and has put me in the hospital on and off for the past year. That was scary in a whole new way. I was being pumped full of morphine every 4 hours not to mention the multiple steroids I had on IV and pills. That crap led to hallucination which had me escaping the hospital and running and falling across I-45 thinking I was being hunted until PD was able to help me and take me back to the hospital. I had ripped my IV's out and being on blood thinners I had blood pouring out all over the place. I couldn't really walk, one step and then I would drop. It's a wonder I am here and able to type this post...lol...It wasn't fun, don't get me wrong, it's just talking about it makes me understand it sometimes.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It should be a combination of both and if you're dedicated, it will eventually become a lifestyle.

Personally, I work out pretty well and have got to the point where my thinking is junk food pretty much negates your workout and the effort you put in. That's my mindset. That's not to say I don't enjoy the occasional junk food. In fact I quite often do and I love my alcohol however it's under control.

I do get grossed out by the repetitive Tv ads for Wendy's burgers or some fried crap at popeye's or any other junk food.

18. kgw

kgw Member

I think your best bet is to consult your doctor, rather than relying on the "expert" opinions on a bulletin board.

I consulted my doc back in November, and am down 45 pounds since then.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We know what healthy exercise is for the most part. Basically just move more.

There's a lot of contention on what a healthy diet is. Saturated fat is back in now.

20. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

I've seen some expert doctors and nutritionists with some frightening physiques and aging exponentially. But I agree, members of a Houston-based message board could be equally as frightening.