1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Earthlings - a must watch documentary.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Nov 6, 2015.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The only quality sentence in your post. Excellent melt though, hippeh.

Props to ThatBoyNick for being an adult about my whine.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

This thread makes me hungry.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok, by reading the posts half the people didn't even watch the video or the 1st part that didn't even have to do with vegans. If you watch the treatment of the dogs they showed i doubt you could act that way.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nobody ever wants to watch those videos, they make you throw up, cry and punch walls while depressing you for days if not even weeks. I personally haven't watched the one OP posted because my heart can't bare those images but i'v seen many others. For those who are loud and angry in these types of threads... or are quick to make jokes, may think they know of what happens in the factories, but do not truly understand how heartbreaking and disgusting it is. This is a subject that should be treated with much respect.

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

This thread wasn't about veganism pal.

We are bombarded with commercials about new bacon burgers on tv, billboards that tell us that we need eggs for breakfast, "Got Milk?" advertisements on the back of every magazine, and social engineering that equates meat to manliness. Children are taught in government-funded public schools that according to the food pyramid, we need 2-3 servings of dairy per day along with meat. It isn't the vegans that are shoving their ideas down everybody's throats. It's quite the opposite.

Most vegans simply choose the lifestyle because they see videos like the one I posted in the OP (Which I'm sure you didn't bother watching) and agree that the conditions these animals endure for literally no reason is unnecessarily barbaric. I just so happened to be labeled as a vegan because I refuse to fund these practices. I'd drink the milk from a cow or eat the unfertilized eggs laid by chickens if I knew they weren't being exploited or raised for slaughter. If that doesn't make me a real vegan, that's fine. I'm not concerned with the labeling. I'm just concerned that people think that the conditions those animals face is justified because like RedRedemption said, he likes his meat. If I offended you I'm sorry, but you are entirely missing the point.

6. likestohypeguy

To be fair you not only led with veganism, but even pointed out that you've posted about it once already since only starting November, and we're barely a week in. Congrats & all, but geez man if you're already this preachy a week in, you are going to be truly insufferable if you make it to the end of the year lol.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Actually they should be compared to them and they are exactly like them.

1. You believe strongly in what you are selling. Check.
    2. You are doing it for my own good. :rolleyes: Check.
    3. You believe that in a perfect world everyone would think and act like you. Check.
    4. You want to me to change my behaviors. Check.
    5. I'm not interested in what you are selling and have heard it all before. Check.

It's nice that this is important to you, everyone needs to believe in something. Just don't expect us to roll out the welcome mat, we've heard the pitch before.

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

I don't really know how I'm preaching. My original thread last month was to pick the brains of others and to gather advice before I made the switch. This thread was to discuss the documentary I posted. I wasn't preaching in my original thread, and I'm not preaching in this thread. Maybe if you watch the video you'd understand where I'm coming from. You don't have to watch it of course, but you shouldn't enter the thread and mock my dietary choices since I merely brought it up to explain how I came across this video in the first place.

And an FYI, if you reread, you'll know that I said I've been vegan for about a month, not a week. But again, I'd hate to bombard you with my venomous vegan propaganda.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I believe the point is that bringing up you're a vegan was totally unnecessary for this thread. There is a stereotype that vegans love to tell people they are vegans, which you seem to be doing even if you don't realize it.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

1 I am not selling anything.
    2 Doing what for your own good?
    3 No I don't, I have never made such claim.
    4 Nope. Although I think awareness for this subject is very important, I am not trying to force you or anybody to care.

5 You're post is garbage, you're not even replying to me, its obvious you haven't read any of my post, your'e just replying to typical "annoying vegan" stereotypes and trying to mask them on me.

This isn't a pitch, this is a real ongoing problem. If you're interested in this issue, then feel free to watch the documentary bro. If you're not, then just leave the thread and don't frustrate yourself and others.

This thread has come full circle with more people looking to argue and **** talk then actually paying attention to documentary this thread was made for and the problems it adresses.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Who is that hurting though? Is he not allowed to talk about being vegan? Just because it's a stereo type he has to avoid it to keep from upsetting dumb people?

This is a thread about factory farm cruelty. He became a vegan because of factory farm cruelty, I'ts relavent to the subject bro. By becoming a vegan he stopped supporting the big meat and dairy corporations that are in control of the unhumane conditiongs of millions of animals. That was just his way of dealing with the problem at hand, and he's justified to bring it up in such thread.

12. Buck Turgidson

Good job being the stereotype.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What.

14. Buck Turgidson

"...upsetting dumb people". That's what turns people off to your message.

There are a myriad of ways to be a responsible consumer of meat, poultry, dairy, seafood, and even (gasp) vegetable products. Educate people on that.

And please spay and neuter your pets.

And Asians, please stop eating various parts off of endangered species. Tigers, bears, sharks, snow leopards, etc.... will not make you healthier, or live longer, or your dicks bigger.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

People who get mad when a person talks about being vegan in a thread about factory farming cruelty are being dumb. That has nothing to do with my message, factory farms or veganism, its my own separate opinion about people's attitude.

16. Buck Turgidson

Where did anyone get mad at you in this thread? I just re-read it and I don't see it.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Keep in mind that most posters here are from the South and therefore likely to be 25-50 years behind much of the country when it comes to social and environmental awareness. I sometimes have to remind myself that not everyone in this country brags about how much meat they eat, how many guns they own or how big their truck is.

Back on topic, every little bit helps and videos like this help people become aware of where their food comes from and sometimes it even helps them realize they are not being consistent in living up to the moral guidelines they otherwise live by when they eat meat.

Case in point, I was eating dinner with a friend and she told me about witnessing a deer being hit by a car. The deer did not die but was in bad shape. She sat with the deer and petted it and tried to give it water while she waited for authorities to arrive. When they did, she offered to pay the vet bills to rehabilitate it. Of course, that was not practical and the deer was killed instead. She was almost crying while she told the story. Five minutes later, the waiter took our orders and she promptly ordered veal. The contradiction never even crossed her mind.

18. Buck Turgidson

I do not know anyone who "brags" about those things, personally, but I do know many people (myself included) who are very much hands-on involved in producing your food in an environmentally responsible manner.

Your silly little slurs about "social awareness" and environmentalism and trucks and guns are funny, though. You are obviously well-versed in the subjects and people you are talking about.

Other than not killing the deer as soon as it was injured and thus not letting it suffer while you "helped" it by patting it on the head and giving it water and waiting for a vet that would never, or should never, come, what did anyone do wrong in that situation?

19. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I just reverse seared a dry aged prime steak. I feel like I know what being a God feels like right now. I don't care if the cow is water boarded 24/7, I would do terrible and awful things for another one of those steaks.

1 person likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Don't be an *******.