1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Early season comments by Joaquin Fuentes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alain076, Nov 5, 2003.

1. alain076

alain076 Member

Still a Yao unbeliever. Hope he will eat his words soon :)

Early Season Comments

Joaquin Fuentes
    11/4/2003

I’m sure that Kobe and Shaq will find yet another way to put their names in the papers in the near future, but other than the battle of the gigantic egos that took place in Los Angeles in the past week, early in the season, there have been quite a few surprises, and I want to take this opportunity to talk about some of the most shocking ones so far.

For starters, there must some sort of weak-ankle crisis in the NBA right now. I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but it seems to me that there have been quite a few ankle injuries early in the season. Stars such as Kenyon Martin, Tim Duncan, and Steve Francis have gotten their ankle hurt in the first week of playing. The fortunate news is that it seems that none of the injured players that I mentioned above are going to be away from the court for too long, but still I find myself really hoping that this type of injury does not become some sort of trend during the season. After all, superstar ankles don’t come cheap or easy, so when a team is lucky enough to land a pair of those, they should not be destined for the bench.

I have seen LeBron James play his first NBA games, and much to my surprise, James has showed a great on-court poise and comfort for the NBA game. He dropped 25 points in his debut, but the most important thing to me is that James likes, and wants to pass the ball, too. And he does it very well. Another thing that it is going to be a plus for LeBron James is that he has the size and ability to be productive at the first four on-court spots. I particularly like watching LeBron play point guard, because LeBron’s point guard game has something of Bernard King in it.

The very unfortunate thing for LeBron is that he has to pass the ball to his fellow Cleveland Cavaliers. I know that fans in Cleveland are ecstatic for having a strong stone to build their franchise around, but with or without LeBron, the Cavs are plain and simply a lousy team that can’t win. Despite two great performances by their over-hyped rookie, the Cavs have yet to win their first game in the 2003-2004 NBA season. I expect LeBron James to appear in the highlight reels on the regular basis, but the Cavs will remain at the bottom of the Eastern Conference.

If there is one thing that I can’t explain so far, it's the Minnesota Timberwolves. The T-Wolves managed to assemble a superb team in the off-season, but somehow such team managed to score 61 points in 48 minutes of basketball. Con someone please tell me how is that possible? I don’t think that the absence of Wally World serves as an excuse, and please don’t get me wrong here, Szczerbiak is a very good player but not the kind of player that can consistently make up for the 30 extra points that Minnesota missed when they played the Nets and the Raptors.

To make matters even worse for the T-Wolves, KG got himself ejected from the game against Utah, and the Jazz and its faceless team got away with the win. Someone please tell the Minnesota Timberwolves that the season has already started, and that a sub-standard level of basketball won’t get it done against the Lakers.

I am really trying to hold myself from saying this, but after watching Yao Ming play in his first games of his sophomore year, I’m starting to believe that unless something miraculous happens in Houston, Yao Ming is in terrible danger of becoming the next Shawn Bradley. Yao Ming’s rookie hype was somehow similar to the one Shawn Bradley got when he finally declared his eligibility for the 1993 NBA Draft, and Bradley’s rookie numbers where very much like Yao’s. However, Yao Ming has an outside game that completely surpasses Shawn Bradley’s in every way, but Yao has to find a way to get it going consistently. Right Now, Yao is not living up to his potential.

The good news for the Houston Rockets is that Steve Francis keeps getting better every year, and he will continue to be a handful for his competitors.

I expected the Dallas Mavericks to win the game against the Lakers, but as I posted earlier, the Lakers, at least in that game, turned out to be much better than the Dallas Mavericks were. However, Dallas has not lost another game, and it seems that the team is beginning to find ways to focus all of its offensive power in the common goal of winning as many games as possible with pure shooting power. Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash are still the team leaders, and Michael Finley, Antoine Walker, and Antawn Jamison are starting to fit together in the same lineup.

I believe the Dallas Mavericks will be like the small snowball that rolls down the hill: it starts small and shapeless, but as it rolls on, it gains shape, weight, and power. Downhill, the Dallas Mavericks could be the biggest snowball of all, but they have to find better team chemistry between their new, trigger-happy faces.

It is very early in a season that it is going to be filled with news that will be good for some, and bad for others. But there is one piece of news that should make everyone happy: the NBA 2003-2004 season has started.

Joaquin Fuentes covers the Dallas Mavericks for FanStop.com. He can be reached at joakinf@infosel.net.mx

2. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Shawn Bradley first year

10.3 PPG 6.2 RPG 41%FG

Ming

13.5 PPG 8.2 RPG 50%FG

I guess 3 more points and 2 more boards a game, while shooting 9 percentage points higher doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

3. voice

voice Member

what the? :confused:

4. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

second year: Bradley 9pts 8reb.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What is that guy smoking?

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

who is this guy?

sounds just as bad as the 12 year old writer for the Dallas Mavericks

7. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

second year: Bradley 9pts 8reb.
    Yao 15pts 7.5 reb. And the season just started.

Oh wait why are we even comparing Yao and Bradley?

Seriously Yao lacks consistency and a mean streak. Those issues should be fixed as season goes on. Three wins in four games. Let's be happy.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i just read the very bottom. Is this the 12 year old?

9. Rob English

Rob English Member

This guy is sniffing glue.

10. alain076

alain076 Member

lol he unintentionally covered himself by mispelling were with where .

11. Rob English

Rob English Member

This guy sounds suspiciously like Ben Collins. The last sentence gave him away:

"Joaquin Fuentes covers the Dallas Mavericks for FanStop.com. He can be reached at joakinf@infosel.net.mx"

He works for the Dallas Mavericks. Also, notice his e-mail address is based in Mexico.

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

my first reaction after reading it is like "WTF, is this guy on crack?" i couldn't believe there's still someone out there that compares Yao to Bradley NOW. but after I calmed down, i'd admit this guy does have a point in saying that Yao hasn't lived up to his potential. it's a fact that Yao hasn't achieved what everyone believed he could acheive, at least stat-wise. but the Bradley comparison is just pure bullcrap!

13. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

The last 2 games Yao has only had around 10 touches. He needs to get the ball more like he did in the preseason. Yao can easily average at least 20ppg. and 8 Boards. This idiot needs to realize its only the 4th game of the season, and many more games to go.

14. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I think he is saying that he could turn out to be the same as Bradley with the hype:stats ratio. Yao has higher hype than Bradley, so if he gets medocre stats he could be thought of as the same with a hype:stats ratio.

That being said, I think the guy is full of it. Yao just needs to convice the rest of the team that it doesn't matter when a smaller player is fronting him, he can still reach the ball up high.

15. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

16. jodete

jodete Member

This Joaquin Fuentes is smoking something??
    How can you compare Yao with Bradley being a proffesional???
    Who's him???
    Obviously, he's a super-idiot because being a periodist, you can't judge a player in a sibgle game. And more if this player is Yao Ming.
    I don't know why alain076 had posted this thread. Simply you must ignore when you read things like this.
    But...well, maybe to talk all we about the "great" Joaquin Fuentes???:D :eek:

17. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Is that Joaquin Fuentes or Daisey Fuentes..........but he is a Mav writer, so he doesn't know much.

18. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Relax--this is just another Mavs fan trying to justify the loaded, ball-hogging "tweener" team that they have put together...It's projection--think and believe Yao is flop like their walking skelton Bradley and he WILL be..."must repeat mantra--Yao=Bradley....ugghh!@="...
    The Mav's have NO inside presence and want US to be like THEM--

19. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

waste of time

20. alain076

alain076 Member

I posted this topic because I wanted to see what the reactions of the people on this bbs are to people who are still comparing Yao to Bradley.

He has his points about Yao not fully living up to his potential but the words miraculous and terrible danger are just too heavy for my taste in this case.

Personally it doesn't bother me that much. It's just a one person's opinion. It would have bothered me if the majority is thinking like this but now it's just funny to read stuff like this and so I wanted to share it with the bbs.