1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eagles re-sign Michael Vick to a restructured deal for 2013

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Well, looks like I was wrong. Eagles resign Vick to a restructured deal worth upwards of $10 million (incentives and clauses).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8936209/michael-vick-signs-one-year-deal-philadelphia-eagles

The Philadelphia Eagles re-signed Michael Vick on Monday to a one-year deal for the 2013 season, the team announced.

Vick could make as much as $10 million next season under the one-year deal, according to a league source.

This contract replaces the long-term contract Vick had signed in 2011 and he now is scheduled to be a free agent after next season.

But this season he will quarterback new coach Chip Kelly's offense. Kelly will address the media at a news conference later Tuesday.

He was scheduled to make $15.5 million in base salary in 2013 under the six-year, $100 million extension he signed with the team in 2011.

Vick, who turns 33 in June, passed for 2,362 yards, 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 10 games last season, his fourth with the Eagles.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

very surprised. Chip must have hated what he saw out of Foles?

3. Major

Major Member

Regardless of Foles' abilities, a healthy Vick is a far better QB for Chip Kelly's system because of his running ability.

4. Lil Pun

What running ability? He's been getting caught by linebackers the last two years. Lol

5. Major

Major Member

For QBs, he was #3 in the league in rushing yards per game this year. He was #2 last year.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why are they signing a QB who isn't elite?

It's impossible to win a Super Bowl that way.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

What do you suggest them do to get an elite qb?

8. Lil Pun

I know, I know. Maybe some negativity is what is needed to turn the Eagles around. I ain't expecting much.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Let it go for real

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You're right I shouldn't bring that crap in here.

On the subject though, I think it's a good signing. Vick at his best is still quite good.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

"Coach-killer" Vick will impale another victim.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As a coach you probably can't help yourself

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm rooting for Michael Vick.

14. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

this is kinda his last chance

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

What coaches has he killed?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You're confused. He had a dog named coach.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ask Jim Mora Sr.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Is Vick also responsible for Mora lasting one year in Seattle? Pretty sure the reason Mora was fired in Atlanta because he refused to fire his OC and DC(Knapp and Donatell). And his comments on radio about wanting the Washington Huskies job just sealed his fate in Atlanta. Had little to do with Vick

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was just tossing that out there since he coined the term. Somebody else would have if I didn't. Not sure if it's true, though several writers have agreed with the assessment.

We'll see if Chip Kelly joins Dan Reeves, Jim Mora Jr and Andy Reid. I doubt it. IMO, Vick will be gone after one year and Kelly will move on to someone else. Vick will be an easy fall-guy if their offense is bad and he won't last the season anyway.

Then again, maybe Vick gets it together since he will be playing for his last big contract.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^ Vick might thrive in Kelly's system -- it was just a couple of years ago that Vick was tearing the league up. If Vick can stay healthy he'll do well -- keeping him is definitely a better option then a free agent pick up or trade.