1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eagles Player Abandons Puppy

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

As a dog lover, I am absolutely appalled by this:

Moore latest Eagle to find off-field trouble

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles are finding more trouble off the field.

Less than a week after one player was arrested and charged with possession of mar1juana and two others were suspended for their involvement in the case, another player has been charged with animal abandonment.

"I don't like it. I expect more out of guys than the things that have happened," Eagles coach Andy Reid said Wednesday.

Safety Damon Moore is the most recent Eagle to find trouble. He has been charged with abandoning his 3-month-old Rottweiler puppy in a soccer field near his home in Voorhees, N.J.

Police found the dog and the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals traced a microchip embedded in it to a pet shop at a mall where Moore made his purchase.

"I made a bad decision," said Moore, who faces a court hearing next week. "The dog wasn't harmed. I didn't beat it, didn't try to kill it or nothing like that. I made a bad decision. I wish I would've taken more time out to think more clearly and now I have to deal with the consequences from Andy and the law.

"I can't go into detail. I just wish I could've rethought my decisions and used better judgment."

Last Friday, safety Terrence Carroll, cornerback Darrel Crutchfield and running back Correll Buckhalter were taken into police custody when officers smelled mar1juana in their sport-utility vehicle during a stop. Police said they found a small amount of mar1juana in the vehicle.

Carroll was charged with misdemeanor possession. No charges were filed against Buckhalter and Crutchfield. All three players were suspended for Sunday's game at Dallas, a 36-3 victory for the Eagles.

Reid released Carroll on Monday, but reinstated Buckhalter and Crutchfield.

"I'm embarrassed for my family, myself and this organization," said Buckhalter, the team's leading rusher with 428 yards. "It was a painful lesson. It was my first incident and my last."

Neither Carroll nor Crutchfield, both signed as free agents, were in uniform for a game this season.

"I apologized for embarrassing the program and I hope I can move forward," Crutchfield said.

Since Reid took over in 1999, the image-conscious Eagles have consistently stayed away from players with character concerns. Reid cut running back Thomas Hamner, a sixth-round pick in 2000, shortly after he was charged with animal cruelty in the offseason.

Reid wouldn't compare Moore's case to any of the others.

"I will treat it as an in-house situation and will not discuss it past that," Reid said. "I have addressed Damon and, as of right now, he will be playing this weekend."

Most of the veterans said the first-place Eagles (6-3) won't let these matters become a distraction. Philadelphia plays the surging Washington Redskins, winners of four straight, at Veterans Stadium on Sunday.

"We all have our common goal," quarterback Donovan McNabb said. "No matter what happens, you have to stay focused. The only thing we can handle is what we do on the field. We're teammates, we're family, we stick together."

Reid had a simple message for his team.

"It's very important to not only take care of business on the field, but to take care of business off the field," he said. "No. 1, you represent yourself and your name, and two, you represent your teammates, and three, you represent the Philadelphia Eagles. Conduct yourself that way."

Moore, the starting strong safety the last two seasons, is concerned that his image has been hurt.

"No one likes to be labeled a bad guy," he said. "I made a bad decision. I won't dispute that, but I'm not a bad person. People are going to judge. I can't please everybody. I have to move forward and hope they judge me on things I do and say."

Yea...abandoning a 3 month old puppy in a field was not using good judgment. Here's a novel idea: why not give the puppy away to someone who would take care of it?

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

as a pet and Rottie owner these type of stories make me sick. I mean, most major cities have "Rottie Rescue" groups that will take in unwanted dogs, not to mention SPCA type groups.

this is just ridiculous.

rH

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Special Patrol Group

Too bad they can't take Moore somewhere and leave him. Like Antarctica.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can take the man out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the man.

DaDakota

6. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

anyone else find this kinda scary?

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Nope, I got microchips injected in both my dogs (around $30 each if I remember). Might not help if your dog got stolen, but could save your dogs life if it ever got lost.

8. Hydra

Hydra Member

Anyone else notice that the scrubs got suspended or cut, but the starter is expected to play despite his character issues. Good job coach, the rules apply to everyone but the stars. :rolleyes:

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Nutcracker, Look carefully at your next x-ray.....do you think we all go to the dentist just to get our teeth cleaned?