1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

E3 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jev5555, Jun 15, 2015.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. I'm happy with my PS4, and I'd play it a lot more often if I didn't have my Xbox -- but Microsoft is killing them on the OS front.

There are definitely things I prefer about the PS4 however. The graphics are better, things like Spotify are there, PS+'s free games destroys Games with Gold.

Overall though, the Xbox is getting a lot more run (part of that is because it's hooked in to our cable box, but that's Microsoft just being smart), if PSN wasn't such a **** network it might be the other way around.

I also tend to like Xbox's exclusives more as well, like I've said before some of the stuff that Japanese developers come out with is just a little too out there for me.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So true.

I have both systems, but bc of this fact, it's really my xbox that gets any action.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Let's be friends foreverrrr.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Ayup. Exactly.

I love that the PS4 is worlds more developer-friendly than PS2/3, I love that it's powerful. But still, here we are a year or two in, and I still don't really get any more use out of my PS4 than my PS3. Might be the reverse, even. The PS3 remains (quite clearly, in my eyes) the superior multimedia device. The PS4's OS annoys me, not only due to lack of features, but crappy layout as well. It's a step back from XMB. The only nice thing I really have to say about it is the lack of ads.

And onto a slightly different topic... really, it is kinda disappointing that there's not a lot that's exciting games-wise on either system, still. If I wasn't a Fifa nut who needed the latest/best version, I might still not have a PS4. Besides Fifa, Bloodborne is the only thing I've seen on either platform so far that was like "I must have that." Everything else that's out now I could've waited on, honestly.

Still, I think I'll be getting an XB1 whenever I see a really good deal on one. They've built up enough nice-to-have titles to where I'll do it if it's a good deal. The BC announcement really makes the difference for me in terms of getting me to buy one soon instead of waiting even longer. Maybe there'll be some good deals on Black Friday.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Check in at microsoftstore.com on a regular basis, they always have deals on Xbox Ones. I got my 2nd Xbox One (for the bedroom) last holiday season for for I think $279 with 3 digital games and a Kinect (which I actually use and like). It was refurbished, but seems brand new to me.

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Could you guys tell me what multimedia features you are speaking of? I only use my video game systems to play....video games.

7. Svpernaut

I use my Xbox One 95% of the time for things other than video games. It has an HDMI input, which allows you to feed your cable/u-verse/satellite through it. They have a "SmartGuide" that is a TV guide overlay that is 100-times better than any guide on any of the cable providers. That SmartGuide can be controlled via controller, universal remote (xbox compatable) or voice commands.

Commands like "Xbox, Pause/Mute/Off" emulate all the same commands as your remote for your box or DVR.

Say "Xbox, watch HBO" and your TV changes to HBO automatically, Xbox Watch ESPN, etc. The Xbox overlay also allows you to multi-task. "Xbox, snap NFL" and it will snap the NFL fantasy app while you're watching an NFL game on TV. Or, say "Xbox, snap TV" and have the TV on while you're also playing a video game.

Then the apps, the glorious apps. From Plex, YouTube Amazon Streaming, Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, Twitch.TV and many more... all of course which can also be multi-tasked and "snapped" as well.

You can cycle through these apps in less than a second too. In an argument with your friends about a random piece of trivia while you're watching a movie? "Xbox, go to internet" and it will open an IE window where you can do a quick search. Then "Xbox, go to movie-name" and it will go back to where you left off. All in seconds.

Now they also have a 30 minute DVR built in for those without a DVR or cable service, with more to come. It is hard to describe just how great a awesome of a media set top box the Xbox One - but once you use it, you instantly get it.

I bought a second one for my bedroom for 99% usage of media services and apps.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Curious what everyone's game of show was...

For me I'd have to say Horizon. Love the tribal stuff combined with Sci/Fi. Was also surprised they showed gameplay was only expecting like a CG trailer or something. Very excited for this game and hope it does indeed come out next year and no later

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Thanks. Will keep it in mind, though I am pretty hardcore into buying physical discs whenever I have the option to (as discussed ad nauseam in previous threads, haha). So my preference is going to be a deal on either just a system with no games, or physical games. But even so, I must say $279 + Kinect is a decent price, even if I ignored the games, so thanks again for the lead.

I'm thinking I gotta have a 1TB one too. 500GB doesn't cut it these days. I'm guessing it could be a little bit before there are refurbs with 1Tb capacity.

Well to me you pretty much break it down into the quality of the video, and the interface/features. I've found the PS3 to be fantastic in both of these areas.

So the devices I have to compare are my Smart TV (which I think is an older Sony Bravia), my PS3, my PS4, and my X360. I don't have an XB1 at this moment, but I'm hoping when I get one that it will be great with multimedia, because I think using Kinect from an interface perspective could be pretty cool for video.

But anyway. For the devices I have, I pretty much eliminate the 360 out of hand, because the video quality is (comparatively) bad. Colors tend to look more washed out than on my other devices, and images seem oddly stretched at times, most of all on DVDs. And, obviously, it doesn't support blu-ray playback at all.

For general image quality, my smart TV is... okay. Generally looks sharp, but I seem to see more artifacts than I do even on the 360. The PS3 & PS4 are both good.

DVD upscaling to HD (obviously doesn't apply to the smart TV), the PS3 once again does a great job. PS4 does fine here as well, but certainly not any better than PS3 to my eyes. For true videophiles, PS3 also supports double-scaling for DVDs (for a sharper image that doesn't quite fill a 1080 screen). IIRC PS4 did not support this at launch, but maybe they've since patched it in. Haven't bothered to check, honestly.

Up until (apparently 4 days ago), PS4 didn't even have DLNA at all. Wasn't aware they'd added it until just now, but that was a big mark against the PS4 (I'll have to go test it out!). For awhile it also didn't support MP3 playback or 3D blu-rays either, but these have since been patched in. One annoyance that's left is you still can't store files on the system's hard drive like you can on the PS3.

Interface/features... the PS3 has an official blu-ray remote, the PS4 doesn't. My favorite PS3 media feature: it can do instant DLNA scene selection, down to 30-second increments, with 10-second previews. No other device I own does that (at least, not last time I checked), and it's insanely nice to have. XMB is also a quicker and cleaner interface than PS4's interface to get to different types of video (disc, media server, app-based). PS4's video applications, for example, are a few more clicks away than they need to be. The smart TV is even worse, as expected. The only thing PS4 has on PS3, to me, is blu-rays load faster due to the faster drive.

In short... given a choice between PS3/PS4/360, there's no reason to use anything but the PS3.

Definitely sounds pretty good. Whenever I do get an XB1, I'm actually quite a bit more curious to put it through its multimedia paces than I am curious about any other aspect of the system. I don't get cable and never will, so I don't care about the cable integration aspect, but how do you rate XB1 for DLNA, specifically? Also, how does Kinect do with hand gestures vs spoken commands (does it support hand gestures...?).

10. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I guess I'm still living in the stone age. I don't own or use a dvr nor do I have any type of cable tv service. In general, I rarely watch tv.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I have a PS4 and the PS3 is still plugged in. It is unfortunate the PS4 took a step back but the PS3 was taking steps back during it's own existence. When my fatty died I lost SACD functionality. I still have it with a bluray player but the interface on that one sucks plus other considerations I don't often use it.

12. Svpernaut

I like it because it will let me "cut the chord" sooner. If I could get sports streaming on it, I would drop the rest of TV in a heartbeat. I imagine the big 4 will have their streaming packages in the next year or two. I can get most of the shows I watch on streaming services, but sports still remains.

No cable? The Xbox One works with digital TV over the air tuner too, even gives you a short DVR.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rOlkCTwduHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://news.xbox.com/2015/04/xbox-one-over-the-air-tuner

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I already cut the cord with sling. Curious on it's performance on xbox 1.
    Kinda pissed they don't have the xbox 360 app for it.

I would prefer just one device so my living room would look clean

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I'm strongly considering getting an Xbox One soon. Not sure if I should just wait for Black Friday or not. I see the Microsoft store is offering $100 toward the purchase of one with any PS3 or 360 trade in. Problem is, the 360 I have left doesn't work. Also says it needs the controller, AV cables and power supply. I just don't have the controller anymore.

Can anyone give me a quick recap of what stood out for Xbox that could get me to purchase? Thanks in advance and will rep.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I did my trade in (360) at the Microsoft store and they didn't really check to see if it worked. I think they only care if it powers on. They really just want to deter folks from frauding them with bricked systems. In other words, they aren't looking for a financial return on the old systems like gamestop, bestbuy, etc.

The folks at the Galleria location were super chill about it.

It is up to you if you want to wait for a bundle you like. The sales right now are nice, but relatively standard.

Also, I may have an old 360 controller lying around, but I'd have to get back to you. It's yours if you need it

1 person likes this.
  16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Same. I kind of new what they were working on because I remember reading an article about the new IP from Guerilla Games. Saw concept arts of the dinosaurs and all that. I was waiting for them to release a trailer or anything for last year's E3, but they did nothing but Killzone (meh).

When they released a gameplay trailer for this year's E3. Not a teaser. Not CGI cutscene. GAMEPLAY.

I knew they mean business from Guerilla Games.

17. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

That would be awesome, thanks! What area of town are you in? I may be willing to drive and pick it up.

1 person likes this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

1 person likes this.
  19. Svpernaut

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

No problem man! Check your rep. I'm out of town this weekend, but can meet up on Monday. Send me a text