1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

E3 2014 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jun 9, 2014.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Far Cry 4 looks pretty damn good.

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I was pretty hyped for Mortal Kombat X. And good lawd Arkham Knight looked amazing.

Also can't believe those are the graphics on the new Uncharted. Naughty Dogs are Naughty Gods indeed

3. Christopher

Christopher Member

I had GTAV on the 360 but never played it online so plaything the story and online will be worth it for me.

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

Microsoft's conference - great. 8.5/10 (Funny how most of the stuff from that leak a while back were actually accurate)

Sony's conference - good, but average. 7/10.

Winner - Microsoft. I actually think Microsoft had the better conference last year as well, so Microsoft won back-to-back years IMO.

Who guaranteed you access? Only limited people get in the alpha. I hope I get a code - I'm not sold on Destiny yet, and don't want tto wait a month for the actual beta.

5. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Playing as the Kraken on evolve looked like a lot of fun 4v1

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tawWMxwTeLE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#105 bobmarley, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I went to Sony's E3 event at the Edwards Theatre. It came with a code for the Destiny alpha and Hard line beta.

And you think Microsoft's disaster of an E3 last year (where Sony got a standing ovation just for announcing different policies) was a win? I can't speak on this year, but... you're truly biased if you believe they "won" last year.

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah. They both showed games and stuff. Geez Sony.

That's the idea. These developers (or really the publishers) make agreements with Sony/MS/Nintendo. Basically, they get to shine the spotlight on their game. In return, Sony/MS/Nintendo can pretend the game is exclusive to their platform. This isn't really a new practice. Both MS and Sony have done it quite a bit (MS did a great job with promoting GTA IV and a few other games for the 360).

------

Some bit of news on Bloodborne:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834644
    Spring 2015 is a bit of a surprise. I actually wasn't surprised they didn't show gameplay. I know people like to be disappointed by these things, but if you're revealing a AAA game for the first time, that's what you're going to get. You usually get 2-3 good looks at a game like that before it releases, and you don't want to "blow your load" too early. If they showed gameplay (which might as well imply that it would be playable on the showfloor), that would mean they wouldn't really have MUCH new to show at GC/TGS, and any events early next year (including exclusive reveals by magazines/media outlets).

Now...with it releasing in Spring 2015, I guess they could have showed some gameplay, then a bit more at TGS/end of 2014, and then released in Spring 2015. But...maybe they're worried about this getting pushed into the Summer/Fall 2015 (meaning after E3 2015). The same kind of thinking goes with Uncharted, Crackdown, Phantom Dust 2, etc. If you are upset by the reveals for these games (for not showing more), you had unrealistic expectations IMO.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

OK, as for my overall impressions for day 1 (if that means anything):

I still need to rewatch the bits of Microsoft's conference that I miss. But I actually really enjoyed both conferences. Perhaps I'm just not remembering past conferences all too well, but I thought this was their best conference in years (maybe going back to around the time they added Kinect). The pacing and execution at the conference was fantastic, and probably the best of any of the conferences I watched. Lots of great games too. MS has a done a great job of turning things around with the platform. I think a lot of that has to do with Phil Spencer, and he definitely deserves some kudos there. Some highlights for me were Sunset Overdrive, several of their indie games (Ori, Inside, etc.), and Phantom Dust 2. I actually didn't play the original, and I'm not sure if I'll get around to PD2, but I do like those types of games. I'm glad MS is giving some love to games like that.

Sony's conference wasn't as well executed. I think everyone came away with the same impression regarding Shawn Layden and the bit about Powers. Shawn seems OK, but it was boring to listen to him drone on and on. The TV bit was also kinda meh to me, but I admit that I like some of the things they're doing with it (packaging with PS+). I know they were probably just trying to push things from their other divisions, but this should have just been a 3-5 minute blurb at most. Perhaps they could have talked more about this at Comic Con or some other event. It really just took up a lot of time, and I would have preferred that slot being filled up with games (even a Morpheus demo, PS Now demo, etc.).

Outside of that though, I thought it was an amazing conference. Given my personal tastes in video games, I actually think this might have been one of my favorite conferences in recent years. LBP3, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Grim Fandango, No Man's Sky, etc., are all REALLY high on my most wanted list. I was also quite surprised by some of the announcements. Admittedly, some of the leaks (for both conferences) disappoint me now since I think both shows could have been better without them (I would have freaked out with Bloodborne!). I'm not really stoked about Far Cry, but the ability to invite a friend to play, even if he/she doesn't have the game, is an amazing feature. I hope it works well, and that future games support that feature.

And yes, I want to give another shout-out to No Man's Sky (even though I already praised it). My eyes were freaking out when I first saw it at the VGA show (I think it was back then that it was revealed?). Really amazed by what that team is doing.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Agree across the board. The "Powers" stuff really dragged on especially considering they had nothing to actually show short of concept art. Other than that I really enjoyed it. (And yeah, No Man's Sky initial reveal was at VGX)
    I don't understand why they didn't show off Drive Club.

10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Completely agree with this. I thought Microsoft did a good job and was very streamlined although the only things I came away wanting from their conference were the indies(hoping not all of those are exclusives ;) )

Sony definitely should've given Mr. Layden a more interesting part of the conference to present. I liked him but you can't give 20 minutes to tv and crap when people want games. And although Powers is one of my favorite comics, if you are going to go on that long about it you better have something better then concept art to show. Gimme a trailer. Thought the announcement that PS plus subscribers would get the whole series for free is def a plus!

And Sony could've have killed it if they did a Project Morpheus demo using No Man's Sky...I hear its rumored that its supposed to be compatible, but oh wells.

Anyway really liked the games that Sony showed. Thought Order 1886 looked really good, the transition from a cinematic to gameplay was really cool IMO. I think they really should push their release date even more though. They are coming out the same month as the Witcher and probably some other games too, still don't know that Batman release date. I think a Summer release would work out better for them.

Anyway my must buys from the conference are Batman, Destiny, Uncharted, Bloodborne, No Man's Sky, Tomb Raider, Witcher 3. Uncharted, FIFA 15, Mortal Kombat X, and Diablo III

Need more info on Mass Effect but that will no doubt be bought on release. And the concept stuff on Battlefront looked intriguing

Second Tier is: Order 1886, Evolve, Far Cry 4, Grim Fandango, AC: Unity, LBP3, Dead Island 2, Rainbow Six, The Crew, The Division, Battlefield, Let it Die, ABZU, NHL 15, GTA5 PS4 editon, and various Indies

Pray for my wallet

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

#amiibo

Looks cool to me. We'll see how they grow it, but saving character data to an actual character across multiple games has potential.

12. juicystream

Talking Legend of Zelda right now on Nintendo feed! :)

2015 with no time table in that. Hopefully they at least make that.

#112 juicystream, Jun 10, 2014
  13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Okay so the first Zelda video they showed when he was fighting that monster on his horse that looked ridiculous, was that the new Zelda or was that Hyrule Warriors? I'm trying to watch the stream at work but I have the volume turned low so I can't hear what they're saying to much.

If that is indeed the new Zelda it looks stupid good and I need to put some money to the side for a WiiU

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So do I need to throw my xbone in the dumpster and get a ps4?

15. juicystream

He was fighting on Horse in the Zelda game.

Hyrule Warriors looks awesome to me. I like being able to play as other characters, and apparent multiplayer.

September 26th, 2014!

#115 juicystream, Jun 10, 2014
  16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

It depends if playing Halo, Fable, or Crackdown is important to you? Do you like Kinect? Do you find yourself drawn to Microsoft's exclusives over Sony's?

If you answered no to any of these question the Xbox One may not be for you.

But please don't trash it. Recycle towards your new purchase.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm excited about Hyrule Warriors, and a new Zelda, but all these games they're announcing are coming out in 2015. What was Nintendo doing for the past 2 years? I realize developing great games takes a lot of time, but they're behind the curve here by a long shot. Color me disappointed. WRU Metroid Prime?

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Smash bros for Wii u will be playable at best buy tomorrow through the 14th. Can't wait!

19. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I hope it plays and has the feel of Melee

Is this at all Best Buys?

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick