1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

E-Readers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonkeyMagic, Aug 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there was a thread about this a while back so sorry if it's a repeat.

What are people's opinions of the Kindle vs Nook?

More specifically, what are your experience with the Nook as I may a bit more experience with the Kindle.

From what I've read about the Nook that makes me somewhat hesitant is the touchscreen's responsiveness and software performance, which has seemed to get knocks on the reviews.

I know the new Kindle is coming out but the e-reader is needed for a trip that's going to start before it's release date.

Thanks.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

4. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

dont need/want an Ipad. Just want to read on it...not to mention e-ink is preferred.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

apple haters unite!!! :mad:
    :grin:

6. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

I have a nook and am fully satisfied. Apparently it doesnt turn pages quickly as the Kindle does but I don't really notice. My main reason for getting one was the variety of formats that can go on it (although there is now apparently software out there that can convert formats into kindle friendly formats). I don't really think you can go wrong with either the Kindle or Nook. They are both great reading devices.

1 person likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like my eyeballs thank you...

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Thanks.

How much delay is it in page turning? How responsive is the touchscreen?

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Hands are tied with the deadline approaching so the Nook looks like it will be the one since the new kindle wont be out yet.

I know that's a joke but sadly, i'm sure some people will assume that people i don't want an ipad. I mean how can you NOT want an ipad?!?! :)

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The people buying these things are suckers. You can catch the bus down to the Church of Scientology on Fondren and read an e-meter for FREE.

[​IMG]

10. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

In the Engadget Kindle Graphite DX review it mentions that the Nook with recent software updates refresh the pages about the same speed as the kindle

Engadget Link

1 person likes this.
  11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I am considering getting one of these for Mrs. SwoLy soon. I am looking at the Wi-Fi non-3G one and would like opinions on it from current users.
    :confused: HUH? What do you mean by this, sir?

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You can also do the equivalent of "jailbreaking" on the nook, allowing streaming music playback and apps. Pretty good and I think it handles epub, which is the open format for ebooks.

I have a sony 505, but I would have gotten the pocket edition 300 if it ever breaks. I just need something to read my own collection on, nothing fancy.

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

My interpretations have been basically that the Kindle is more basic but very solid whereas the Nook seems to have a bit more funtionality.

The new kindle is smaller/thinner and a few ounces lighter.

Like Tree said, i don't think you can really go "wrong" with either...seems to be the senitment on most reviews as well.

14. tolne57

I think he's referring to the iPad's lack of eInk. I have both a Kindle 2 and an iPad and I enjoy reading on the Kindle much more solely because of eInk. After staring at a page full of text on an iPad for a long time the strain really starts to take a toll on my eyes.

Other than that, the iPad has a much Kindle better interface (haven't used iBooks). The page turns are faster, it's easier to look up book, the covers are nice etc...

EDIT:
    One thing to add. Amazon's customer service has been great. I had an issue with my kindle screen 10 months (it looked cracked) in and Amazon sent me a brand new Kindle. The international version even.

1 person likes this.
  15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

If you haven't used iBooks, how did you experience the strain on an iPad? Just curious. I hear a lot of people assuming it strains the eyes, but you're the first that has stated it first hand... and then you comment that you haven't used the reader app on it.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well, I'll wait for Invisible Fan's response to my question. I hope he answers.

I have a couple more questions:
    1. Isn't there a good reader out there from Sony that's not as expensive and the same size as the kindle?
    2. Can I order the Kindle or any one of these "eReaders" with pre-loaded books? (example: all the Crichton books, all the Koontz books, etc.)

:confused:

17. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

^ the sony e-reader is in the same price bracket at the new kindle and Nook...~$150 ish

18. tolne57

There is a Kindle app on the iPad. In fact there is a Nook app as well.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I read several articles recently. They all seem to point to tablets killing off most of the ereaders out there. The Kindle seems to be the only one that they felt would survive.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

tolne57 nailed it. I haven't used iReader, but unless the screen lighting is different, not sure how big a difference it becomes.

I also like reading in sunlight.