1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

e-Reader worth it? Or facing extinction vs. tablets/smartphones?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Jul 29, 2010.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

E-Readers start to fade due to the rise of the Tablet PC

E-readers "must change or face extinction"

iPad Killed Kindlenomics

Kindle, Nook and Vizplex eReader devices face mass extinction

Just read the thread about Amazon's aggressive pricing for the Kindle @ $139. I'm debating whether to buy an e-reader. But after reading articles like the links above, I'm just not sure whether the devices themselves will become obsolete in the next few years. Especially since a majority of Kindle sales are actually being read on devices like an iPhone which only use a Kindle app rather than the device itself.

I purchased a plasma TV back in '98 which was a mistake. It was too new so it hadn't matured and been as polished as the Kuro plasmas in 2007, but then plasma TVs themselves were defeated by LCD. This is not new: pocket PC/palm pilot vs. smartphones, HD DVD vs. Blu Ray, etc. I know newer generations products become better but what's the point of waiting when the product is doomed?

Should I wait until the dust settles between e-readers and tablets/smartphones? Or just stick to actual books? IMO, digital editions can't compete with buying a dirt-cheap classic at a used bookstore. And, I have a couple of novels that are ~200 years old.. not sure whether that gives me an unrealistic sense of what long-term means.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Tablets and smart phones still have a couple of disadvantages against e-readers.

The biggest is that e-readers like the Kindle have extremely easy to read "electronic ink" that simulates ink on paper very well. You can read it in bright light, on the beach, etc. It also doesn't give you a headache or have glare.

Also: Price. E-readers are dropping in price faster than tablets.

They also have a big market for those that are less tech savvy. My Mom would easily be able to use and read a Kindle, but she is not going to want to mess with an IPad or Slate.

Until the tablets can overcome that completely, I believe there is a market for e-readers.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Tablets make no sense unless you don't have a computer or smart phone.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

This.

However, I prefer a real book. And there's nothing quite like admiring your own little library.

5. durvasa

durvasa Member

I don't understand this sentence. :(

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

If you have no computer or smartphone, a tablet computer may make sense.

If you have one or both, chances are a tablet is a waste of money.

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

Thanks.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have a computer and an Android. I also have an iPad. There is no way I can use my phone as an e-reader or as a computing device. The iPad has been incredibly useful since I bought it and on some trips can replace my laptop since I can use VPN and RDP to access my work desktop.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Eventually the technology will outpace the e-reader..

DD

10. akperez

akperez Member

I now read exclusively on my iPhone.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

For those of us that don't have an iPhone, I love my Kindle. Since I can't use an iphone with Verizon I don't want one. Until then I have a tool for every use. Kindle for my books, Zune for my music and Envy for my phone :)

I can see where the market is losing ground, but I doubt it faces extinction yet.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Amazon is going to make a killing on these during the Holiday season. At $139 that falls into the consumer electronics sweet spot, while the iPad is almost 4x the price.

If you like gadgets, it seems like a reasonable buy at $139. Not sure how much the e-books cost, but should be between $10-$13, correct? So you might be saving a buck or two off the cover price.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You can add in the Tom Tom and Garmin as things with a shorter leash too.

DD

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

I see both of those guys getting bought out within the next year or so. Their long term viability is in question now that integrated GPS functionality is becoming more and more commonplace in smartphones. Broadcom's been talking about GPS standalone and combo chips gaining traction in 2H10.

15. weslinder

weslinder Member

There's another huge advantage to a Kindle, if it's important to you: A 3G Kindle can use the cell networks for free in many foreign countries. If you buy a 3G iPad, you'll have to pay service fees to the cell carriers wherever you are, and pay for the books.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree, and as OLED technology takes off, all these functions will become more integrated into a standard multipurpose device...which is probably the phone.

Maybe an attachment for the phone that also allows for a bigger fold out screen?

DD

17. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree with this. I have a Nook and this is something I really like about it. I would not want to read on a phone or iPad.

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

I think y'all are vastly underestimating the value of the e-Ink. For me, the eye strain of reading books on a computer/iPad/etc. is an absolute deal-breaker in terms of why I would never use one to read regularly.

I have a Sony reader and it's my primary source for books.

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Sorry, I should probably have amended that to "laptop" instead of computer. Point being that you can get a far more functional laptop for less than the cost of a ipad.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

So the idea is not that e-books will be extinct, but just that they will be on a different platform. In that case, the books will still be available for you to read on the e-reader you're buying today. You might have to convert the format or something but it'll be there.