1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dynamo] at Seattle Sounders FC - MLS Cup Playoffs Game 1

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mtbrays, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When: Thursday, October 29, 9 PM CST
    Where: Qwest Field, Seattle, WA
    Television: ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
    Radio: 790 AM (English), 850 AM (Spanish)

The Dynamo head to MLS' toughest environment to open the 2009 MLS Cup Playoffs. I was very happy that we got the 3-2 win over Chivas USA to secure home field advantage, at least until the Western Conference Finals. I like our chances against Seattle, who started off strong, but sputtered a little toward the end. They're a young team dealing with the postseason for the first time, whereas the Dynamo always seem to shine there (forget 2008). However, the Sounders will have over 30,000 people going crazy at Qwest Field and it will be an incredibly tough road test.

What do you guys expect during this game? For those unfamiliar, the first round of the MLS playoffs is determined by goal differential. For instance, if Seattle wins game one 2-1, Houston would have to win by two goals to advance to the next round. A tie in total goals at the end of the second game would send it to overtime.

Can we please get an "official" tag for the Dynamo playoffs? We gotta get people pumped to go sell out Robertson for the playoffs this year and make Seattle know what playoffs are all about.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

GO ORANGE

I'm not as confident in this team as I have been in the past years. Still seems to me like something is missing. I'm fairly certain that "something" is playing in Toronto right now. I think they can get past Seattle, but winning the Cup again is going to be a very tough task if they continue their inconsistent ways.

#2 leroy, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  3. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Playoff time for the Dynamo has always been pretty exciting...at least the year before the last. I think we can at least pull off a draw in Seattle. Agree with leroy that our team has been inconsistent, but we've been here before some I'm hoping for the best. Forever orange!

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

As long as we keep making noise in the playoffs, we have more of a chance to win it all again. The addition of Landín will prove itself on Thursday. ¡¡VAMOS, DYNAMO!!!

That's odd... leroy420, the "GO ORANGE" text is white... but when I reply to your post, it shows up as orange... :confused: weird.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

We have struggled lately, but in the playoffs anything can happen. I think Seattle is beatable if we play our game and clamp down on the Freddies.

For the first game in a while we don't have anybody suspended and hopefully Clark is able to play.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm hoping that those 3 goals against Chivas help us get out of our offensive funk, and we can score some early goals against Seattle. I think if we can take the crowd out of the game early on, and take advantage of the jitters the young Sounders team will surely have, we have a chance to come back home with the lead.

7. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I am considering driving down to Houston from Austin this Sunday for the game. Should be a great atmosphere and the weather looks awesome. I went to all of the games in 2007, but missed last year.

8. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

This Sunday (Nov. 1) the game is in Seattle. So save your drive for the next Sunday!

9. leroy

Sunday game is in Houston. It's a home and away series.

10. DrLudicrous

But it's not this Sunday. The game in Houston is on November 8th.

11. leroy

D'oh...

Who makes this schedule? MLB? Why 10 days between games? Doesn't take that long to get from Seattle to Houston.

12. DrLudicrous

To make it even better, the Dynamo had to play last Sunday, so they get four days rest before the first game.

13. SwoLy-D

They don't have games every 3 or 4 days during the regular season... so why do that only for the playoffs? I think it's like this in every knockout stage of major championships. :eek: For example, even during World Cup finals (the round-robin stage), teams wait about 4 to 6 days before playing again.

14. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I don't think I can stand losing to this guy:

[​IMG]

BLEED ORANGE HOUSTON!

15. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Thanks for saving me a trip, guys. I don't know how I missed that boat. I'll probably still try to make the trip, just hope it all pans out well for the Dynamo this week. Glad I don't have to work tomorrow night, I'll be able to watch the game.

16. leroy

4 to 6 days is a lot different than 10 days. And, during the regular season when the Dynamo are in these other competitions, they regularly have 3 games in a 7 day period. 10 days is way too spread out.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'm hoping that as well. Last season we were worn out from all the CONCAF and other tournaments we were involved in, now I am hoping with Ching getting last Sunday off, our guys should still be ready to take on Seattle with fairly fresh offensive legs and bring back the points needed for us to quickly advance to the next round.

I'd hate for to have another playoff exit like we did with Chicago Fire, last season.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I thought we lost to the Red Bulls last year? :confused:

I could look it up, but I'm too lazy.

19. leroy

You're correct.

20. SwoLy-D

Ah, crap. You were talking about the last game of the season AND THEN the first playoff game. :eek: I gotcha now.