1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwyane Wade Contract - Current Value?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Jun 13, 2014.

1. yobod

yobod Member

LeBron and Carmelo should command a max contract easily given their strong performances and relatively good health. With his health issues and terrible defense in these finals I wonder what a team is going to be willing to pay Wade.

4 years, $40M?

He's already said he's not willing to take less but he might have to.

2. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

Who would give Wade that long of a contract?

He'll get a 2, maybe 3, year deal with a team option depending on his health and marketability.

Depending on what FAs are on the market in the future I wouldn't destroy my cap room just to sign him.

3. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Will he even hit the market or re-sign in the next 2 seasons? He has a $20+ mil ETO for 2014-15 and a $21+ mil player option for 2015-16.

4. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I think he's around 7 or less. That's what ginobili gets and they both tend to be injured a lot. Dwade is suffering from more chronic issues compared to ginos which tend to be isolated events. Regardless I don't see any teams offering him a contract. Just Miami cuz apparently they are all about family Nd loyalty. Even with that I'm sure Miami will lowball because they know he won't get jack anywhere. Miami would be smart to just keep lebron bosh and add a ton of above minimum guys to the roster.

5. Raven

Raven Member

About to become the NBA's next toxic contract.

6. yobod

yobod Member

Pat Riley would be an idiot to pick up his ETO for $41M.

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The ETO is a player option and not a team option.

8. yobod

yobod Member

No way LeBron and Bosh take less if Wade takes doesn't restructure. I think the team will break up with Miami being stuck with a broken down Wade at $21M per year.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This whole Carmelo to the Heat fantasy is a fantasy. Too many of the players have to willingly sacrifice money to make it happen.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No way Wade uses his ETO. I figure he might just retire after next season.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Whose contract is worse Wade or Lin?

12. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Wade, by far (if he doesn't opt out for the next 2 years). You will get better production from Wade, most likely, but you will get more games out of Lin and he only has 1 more year on his deal.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lin's contract, as an expiring, holds value.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, Wade will make a deal with the Heat to opt out and re-sign at the same dollar amount over 4 years instead of 2. Something like 4yrs/$42MM. He's only going to play 2 more years max anyway. The Heat will pay him for nothing in 2016-18 but it frees up money for two more championship runs in 2014/15 and 15/16.

To miss 28 games this year and still not be in peak shape for the playoffs may mean his days as a full-time "superstar" are over.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Unlikely because if he does sign a 4 year deal and decides to retire before year 4 he LOSES money. Look at Nash. Why do you think he hasn't retired? Because the Lakers still owe him $9 mil or whatever.

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Yeah, and while it might make sense if all these guys were 35+, these guys are in the prime of their respective careers. Leaving that much money on the table to nut hug on Lebron seems ridiculous.

17. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Full-time superstar? He's not even a part-time superstar.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here is how it works: Players almost never retire and lose (much) money. The Heat will buy him out at ~$1 million less than he's owed for the final 2 years. Everybody is happy because they all know from the start he ain't playing a full 4 years.

Particular to this case is the history of player and team. The Heat will give Wade a huge sendoff whenever he decides to hang it up. They owe that to him. On the other hand, Steve Nash has been a gigantic disappointment with Lakers and they owe him nothing except the dollars on his contract. That they are forcing him to play the final year and won't offer a legit buyout tells you something about their relationship.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In the 54 games he did play, Wade was 19/5/5 and shot 54.5% from the field. When he's moving well and playing athletically on D, he's still got it.

But if he doesn't bring his best in the playoffs, none of it matters.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The only way they take less . .. . is they can get more
    LeBron took less to come to Miami
    but make no mistake. . . he got soooo much more in endorsements after WINNING

Winning makes up for the loss of NBA revenue by increasing your NON-NBA revenue

For DWade to take less.. .that money needs to be made up somewhere
    Well . . that ain't going to happen because he not as marketable as LeBron
    Melo might be able to be Marketable and make up the difference
    I don't think Bosh's marketability has made up the difference for him

It would be interesting to know though

Rocket River