1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight's full page in the Chronicle thanking the fans.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skoo9382, Jul 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DreamEarlNolan

I like Dwight, love what he did in the community while in Houston, but his idea as to how he should have been used while with the Rockets is delusional. He is one of the worst post players I've ever seen. Maybe it comes from watching Olajuwan in my younger days, but it was painful watching Dwight with the ball in the post.

I remember a game last year where the Rockets were playing on TNT and at the half Dwight had great numbers. Barkley and Shaq made their usual statements about how the Rockets needed to keep going inside to Dwight to be successful. In the second half Dwight had like four shots and two points. The Rockets lost and the TNT crew ripped the Rockets for not going back to Dwight. What they failed to mention, or maybe even understand, was that almost all of Dwight's points in the first half came off of lobs in the pick and roll, and put backs at the rim. In the second half Dwight lost his desire to set picks and after he didn't get the post ups he wanted he basically checked himself out of the game. If Dwight would have committed to what he's good at, he would have averaged 20 points while in Houston easily. Unfortunately he wanted to do what he is horrible at, and for that reason I'm glad he won't be playing for the Rockets next year.

1 person likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What the hell am I reading? DWIGHT QUIT. THAT'S THE POINT!

It's the same way you can build years and years of trust and then it's gone the minute you lie.

I have said it many times: Dwight did great things, but he quit and that's unforgivable.

I'm amazed people aren't more upset since we know exactly what 90% Dwight can do. He wasn't even healthy when Rockets went to the WCF.

That's exactly what you're saying. All these post in here are "Dwight was great for 2 years", Dwight is a great guy in the community", "Dwight chose us, could have went any where".

So, it's OK he torpedoed the season. Look at all the great stuff he did for us! Two years is plenty. He can waste everyone's time not playing because the cache is filled with 2 years of great moments.

Dwight stopped playing basketball because he didn't like the type of touches he was getting even though he had the most amount of touches for any big man in the league..

He stopped playing PnR because he doesn't like that kind of basketball. Without a doubt If Dwight did what he did last year when he said, "I'm going to make the ultimate sacrifice", Rockets would have been in the mix again.

I don't know what you're reading. I never said Dwight wasn't a great signing. I said Dwight quit and it shouldn't be swept under the rug.

2 people like this.
  3. Chamillionaire

Dwight did quit and was a whining little b**** which was a big reason that led to the demise of whatever continuity we had the previous year. But he wasn't the only reason for last year's failures.

*Changing coaches at the beginning of the season
    *Our inability to hit open shots
    *Lack of defensive cohesion and overall effort
    *Lack of communication on both ends
    *All the players playing for themselves
    *Acquisition of Lawson and his inability to fit in and losing the guys at the end of the bench (team chemistry)

I could go on... Our team imploded last year. We weren't a team. We were a group of individuals playing for ourselves. They didn't trust each other and pointed fingers at each other all year. The top tier teams have talent but more than that, they're a team and trust and play for each other.

4. Chamillionaire

One more thing that really pissed me off about Dwight was he's call for the ball, get the ball in the post, he either turned the ball over or got fouled. When he turned the ball over, he'd get pissed cause a "foul" wasn't called then smile... or get to the foul line and brick his free throws... either way he's not our problem anymore.

5. sufiankassam

sufiankassam Member

Good Luck Dwight! This was the best move for both sides. I like our team now to win 55 and lose in the second round.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

How ironic given that your entire "HE QUIT, HE QUIT, HE QUIT." argument is based solely upon the fact that Dwight chose to speak candidly and acknowledge what we had all sensed. Otherwise, what sort of proof do you have? How can you convince me this is a credible argument and not just emotional blabber? You're making one of the most subjective arguments about basketball one could possibly make. You can't prove this sort of thing.

I'm not very familiar with you or your posting history, but let me ask you: do you speak about Ty Lawson, TJ or Josh Smith with the same disdain? I think it's fairly obvious they weren't giving us 100% for one reason or another. Are they deserving of your scorn also?

NBA history is filled with plenty of examples of superstars "quitting" on their teams. Kobe has done it. LeBron has done it. What they didn't do is ADMIT to it. So, is this why these players are seemingly worthy of your forgiveness then...? I mean, I would love to understand how one quantifies or defines "quitting". Does it only count when the player owns up to it and admits it? Would you define Dwight's time in Houston differently if he never acknowledged it?

This is getting ridiculous. Even more so than the Corey Brewer comparison in the original post.

If I'm reading you correctly, what you're essentially saying here is our colossal failure of a season was ALL ON DWIGHT. If he would have just worked harder and gave us 100% we would have been "in the mix again" (whatever that means - first round fodder, WC Finals worthy, surpass the 2015 team's progress, etc). Is this what you're really saying?

....and he stopped playing PnR basketball in LA. We made it to the WC Finals with junkyard dog, lob and putback Dwight. He didn't suddenly stop PnR-ing this year.

Again, nobody is saying mailing it in or just going through the motions is acceptable. Players (especially superstars) deserve to be held accountable. Nobody is giving him a free pass on this, but when rational posters pivot to the "everybody was terrible" argument, they're doing so for a reason. This was a BROKEN team. From top to bottom - coaching, chemistry, everything. A sinking ship. To imply this was all on Dwight or even mostly on Dwight borders on lunacy.

#126 baller4life315, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I quit.

I await my appreciation thread.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Did anybody else see John Cena rip him at the ESPYs? It was golden, the whole roast was awesome.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's okay, bro, people forget we were 7-4 without him and that we were 3 games below .500 when he played 30 minutes or more.

We were better without Dwight. #NEVERFORGET

1 person likes this.
  10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Obviously Dwert tries to hart for people to like him. Nevertheless he has done a lot of good for the Houston community.

As a player he has all the tools, but I dont think his mind is right for basketball. He checked out 4-5 years ago. Could be injuries, but hes just not there.

Thanks Dwert

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Thanks for the stimulating conversation.

12. Chamillionaire

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QsnNFx4N6co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dreamshook is exactly right. Dwight admitted he quit. He admitted he quit because he wasn't getting enough post touches, despite leading the league in post touches. It's utter comedy.