1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight vs Bargnani

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nono, Nov 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. nono

nono Member

2. nono

nono Member

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Is this crap something that we are supposed to enjoy watching or something???

Dwight had a crappy game offensively... so what... do you think Bargnani some sort of parade now or something??? Should Dwight be burned at the stake??

Here is a suggestion.... when making a thread... HAVE A POINT.

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I see flops by a Eurotrash. What we didn't see was 6 offensive rebounds, 15 total rebounds, 4 blocked shots and a win against a supposedly NBA East contender. A monster game by Melo is nothing compare to our monster in the middle.

5. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Bargnani just did a good job of denying Dwight position in the post. He couldn't get the ball within his offensive range of 10 ft from the basket. Teams now know that Dwight has no left hand dribble, he can only move from right to left with a right hand dribble, no spin move, so they are overplaying his left shoulder.

Another problem is that Dwight jumps up in the air for pump fakes a lot. I'd rather he just hold his ground on defense instead of gambling on blocks, sort of like Asik does, that way he can contest the shot and get the rebound.

6. roksoer

roksoer Member

Those 2 offensive fouls should have been no calls. Shaq used to do it all the time

7. dwanga

dwanga Member

Can somebody please tell me:

1. Who decided that Dwight should suddenly become a good post-player for the Rox? Mchale or Dwight himself?

2. What else is preventing Dwight from fully embracing his role as the PNR rollman?

8. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

9. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I posted this in the game thread but it seems like Dwight is suffering from the same officiating Yao received. Smaller defenders hack and hack and the minute he shows some determination and tries to "impose his will", BOOM. Offensive foul.

It's annoying is all.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

agree!!!

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nobody but the media, fans, and commentators who love to harp on it and focus on the negative. Yes, Dwight has worked out with the best of them including Hakeem, but that doesn't mean he's going to be Hakeem in the post. Dream has said before in interviews that he doesn't try to just teach his moves. Most of what he does is tailored to the big he's teaching, and correcting things with their footwork, and where they put the ball.

From that standpoint, Dwight is a pretty accomplished player in the post compared to almost every other starting center in the NBA. Finishing and scoring in the post is a different subject. However, he doesn't necessarily have to be a great scorer in the post. He needs to be able to get double teamed, and be able to pass out of the post for open shots. That's the key to winning games with a big post up player. Being successful in the post and having the skills to run the show from down low.

People here need to accept the fact that its not going to look pretty, there will turnovers, and Dwight is going to miss some gimmies around the rim, but its a necessary evil if they want to get the looks they need to hit 3's in the half-court offense.

Twin Towers spacing, and coaching because of turnovers & late game free throw woes.

Late in games it becomes very risky to run the P&R with Dwight because the Rockets have been producing an exorbitant amount of turnovers when in the pick and roll. Alot of that comes down to continuity and familiarity, but its a risky play to run late in games because turnovers lead to fast breaks and easy buckets.

Since the Rockets have had small leads late in games pretty much all season long... running the P&R with Howard isn't really your best option. Than add to the fact that his free throw shooting is so bad and its obvious that this is McHale's call to not go to the P&R late in games.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KRE4zf2R3g8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL so Bargnani played some decent 1-on-1 D and had 24 pts on good scoring...so what, he only tallied 4 rebs, and the Rox guards had a field day with Harden going off for 36, Chandler 22, and Lin 21 pts.

On the other hand, Dwight Howard had 15 rebs, had 7 pts on 5 shots, and JR Smith shot 4-16, Felton shot 3-9, Shump 1-4, Metta 1-7. Melo had 45 pts but he had to scrap and bang for every bucket he had.

Geez, who is more effective? There's a reason Dwight was able to carry a crappy Orlando team to the NBA finals while NYC is currently 3-5 with Barnani as the man in the middle. Scoring and 1-on-1 D is a guard's job, rebs and Paint D is for real big men.

14. damnbiochem

damnbiochem Member

those of you saying those weren't offensive fouls i highly disagree. It looks like dwight is just driving his shoulders into the dude's abdomen/chest. Its not a game of football ramming ppl down to get to the basket

15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Excellent post. Worth quoting.

16. nono

nono Member

I wanted to highlight Dwight's troubles in the post. Dwight is undoubtedly a much better player than Bargnani.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I added the video to the "Dwight in the low post" thread.

18. nono

nono Member

That's fine. Not my video as I found it on realgm.

19. dwanga

dwanga Member

Thanks for the in-depth.

I agree that many are overlooking Dwight's overall impact, especially in the non-statistical ones such as his help defense and ability to alter shots. He is no Shaq on offense, but he is much more versatile at the defending end. This more than makes up for his lack of an offensive punch.

However, I'm not sold on his ability to attract double teams or the team's reliance on post play. Dwight currently has a 30% PostFG and he is reluctant to make aggressive moves in case he ends up at the foul line again! The evolution of basketball is ever changing, and post-play will probably fall out of favor just like the hook shot.

Perhaps the coaches are just testing the waters with different schemes. Nonetheless, the rockets have had 4 close games out of the last 5 going down the wire, which is great opportunity for thorough analysis on Dwight's role.

20. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

I love Dwight, but his lack of abilities in post up and FT is going to cost us. These are major flaws that I'm not sure if he can fix at this stage of his career. I think the coaches have to be smart in the way we use him. The team has to work together to help maximize Dwight's strength and avoid exposing his shortcomings.